Violence

Shadowsong: Chapter 6.1- Shadowsong

by Featherstone

Those under my thrall stopped in mid-stride as their eyes became dark with the shadows that were the source of my power. They fell back from the hell-spawn and turned, slicing their blades into their comrades' flesh. Confusion reigned and havoc ruled the battlefield as I watched. With less than half their former numbers, the paladins and Hunters were forced to fall back. Lyrel disengaged from the front lines and leapt into the air- he knew the source of the pandemonium. I watched and waited until he was about a third of the way towards me, then called out.

"Kæa!" I yelled. Attack!

A winged demon dropped out of the sky at Lyrel, knocking him of course. He twisted around and sliced at the thing. Two shadowbeasts came to the demon's aid, screeching as they dove at the Lightwing.

I probably would have been able to win that if Bericus hadn't joined in. He flew straight up, knocking aside the demon and cutting both shadowbeasts out of the sky in one smooth movement.

"Get Raven!" he told Lyrel. "I'll cover you!"

Lyrel followed his command, winging his way towards me. Seeing how badly I was about to lose, I leapt off Gyer and into the air.

"Catch me if you can, wælyr-en," I smirked, and flipped into the sky.

I hadn't flown in a long time, but in my day I was the best flyer in the realm. Evidently, my wings remembered what they were doing, even if I did not. My speed was unmatched and I responded to the slightest change in the air with all the ease of a swift.

I would have been able to outrun Lyrel if not for the bracelet that kept me on a tether. As a result, he led the chase. If he stopped, so did I.

Unfortunately for me, he realized that before I got the chance to reach my allies. He dropped to the earth and I fell with him. I rolled to my feet and began pulling energy from the darkness around me. It might not allow me to remove the bracelet, but at the very least I could defend myself until backup arrived.

Lyrel flipped his sword as he advanced. "I should've guessed you'd use your thrall."

"To shackle one's magic is not to chain one's mind,” I hissed as I pulled the energy around me. I could control it, I just couldn't create it.

Bericus landed behind Lyrel. "Drop the thrall, Shadewing," he snarled.

"I shan't, Lion." I wrapped the shadows about myself as armor and readied it to use against the Lightwings.

"Yes, you will, Raven," Lyrel growled. I felt the bracelet begin to glow.

"Oh, no you don't," I murmured. I pulled the shadows around myself, around the bracelet, creating a shield between me and it.

"You can't hold that forever," Bericus pointed out. "You will run out of darkness eventually."

"I don't have to. Myrwl irom! " Come, Master!

"Is it just me or did she just tell Cornix to come on by? Because I don’t know Shadowtongue, but from what I’ve picked up over the years, that sounds concerning.” Bericus said.

I laughed. "You are fools to not know your enemy."

The cacophony of harsh, rasping cries filled the air, joining the pandemonium with the beat of hundreds of dark wings. Lyrel backed off, watching the skies. I could feel his fear.

A figure made of the purest shadow coalesced between us, his eyes burning with fire. Vast wings spread to either side, his taloned feet digging great furrows in the earth.

"Ah," he said. "The wælyr-en here all on their own."

I dropped, kneeling before my Lord."Master."

He gestured for me to rise with his off hand as he summoned Corax as a greatsword in his the fingers of his other one.

"I don't suppose any of you would like to translate wælyr-en for us, would you?" Bericus asked, flipping his own blade around in his fingers.

"Lightwing; angel. Same connotations as 'demon' in angelic." I shook my head. "You really should know the tongue of your enemies."

"We have no wish to speak your black speech, dæmonkin."

"Talk, talk, talk," I turned to Cornix. "I tire of all this barking at one another."

Cornix smiled wolfishly, revealing dagger-sharp teeth. "Very well, Raven," he growled, his voice a rumbling thunder. "Let us finish this." He stepped forward and raised his black blade as he advanced on the angels.

Lightning cracked across the sky with a deafening roar. Clouds blocked out the shadowy abyss of the heavens and rain poured down, the tears of so many dead. And I don't mean metaphorically- the drops were salt water.

A girl stood between Cornix and the Lightwings, her eyes a glistening midnight blue. The rain stopped falling mid-air, the wælyr-en and Cornix frozen mid-stride. Silence was all around me, the pandemonium now peaceful. I backed off from the creature in fear. Suddenly, I stopped- but not of my own free will. I couldn't move.

Agony spread like fire through my veins. I fell to the earth, wishing only death…

Destruction.

Chaos.

Unbalance.

The bodies of fallen warriors were scattered across the earth, carrion birds feasting on the slain flesh. Their harsh croaks and rasps and cries filled the otherwise silent battlefield. Above the carnage sat a pure white raptor, its feathers gleaming in the sunlight.

The world changed. A pure oblivion of nothingness: no light, no darkness, no anything. Floating in this abyss was a balance scale. One side of it was filled with a pile of black rocks; the other side with white ones. Above the balance was the white bird from the battlefield next to an identical eagle of pure black. The two battled and spun in the air, each trying to destroy the other. As light began to prevail, the scales tipped in its favor- farther and farther until the whole thing fell, sending all the rocks into the void along with both birds...

Cornix raised his blade, bringing it down on Lyrel. The angel dodged, and as Cornix was about to land another blow, Bericus stabbed him through the back....Cornix raised his blade, swinging it at Bericus. Lyrel leapt in front of his comrade and blocked the blow, then sliced off the crow's head...Again and again Cornix fought and died at the hands of the waelyr-en.

The rain fell once more, hitting the earth and bursting into a million droplets like so many splatters of blood. Cornix stalked forward, about to attack the Lightwings.

"Irom maekyr!" I cried, lunging forward to stop the fight before it began. In my distress, I somehow managed to surpass the bracelets bind on my magic. A rift opened between Cornix and the waelyr-en, an abyssal chasm like the maw of the earth.

To my surprise, the adversaries froze for a moment in surprise. It was in that second that I suddenly registered what I'd just done- I'd given my Master an order.

The next thing I knew, I was on the ground about four yards from where I'd been standing. A jolt of pain flashed through my wing as I scrambled to my feet. "Do this," I rasped. "And into Chaos the worlds shall fall. Play with fire, you might get burned- play with balance, you will get burned." I switched into Shadowtongue as I addressed my Lord. "The time is not right, irom. If we try now, we will lose and the Realms will be thrown into complete unbalance."

"You're the one who set this up!" Cornix snarled in the same language.

"Irom, I did not see- now I have been shown. Please, Master..."

Lyrel took advantage of Cornix's preoccupation and leapt into the air, his glowing blade raised in offense. If he succeeded with that attack...

I jumped, spreading my wings and slamming into the angel, knocking us both to the ground. My wing screamed at the harsh treatment and I ignored it. If I let Lyrel conclude his attack, there wouldn't be anything but torment for anyone in the years to come.

As it turned out, proximity to Lyrel effected the power of the bracelet. It flared as I came in contact with him, burning through my abyssal armor. I dropped back and fought to re-summon the protection.

I felt a power join with mine, a pool so large it seemed endless as it faded into the shadows of a cavernous void. My Lord was aiding me, giving me strength once more.

I pulled on that power, summoning it and binding it to my will. Bringing forth my own energy I merged it with Cornix's.

A few hundred years ago I had been the most feared daemon besides my Master. My power was unmatched, my cruelty unspeakable. Nothing stood in my way. Now, that had faded into memory: that strength, that fear and respect that had surrounded me.

That was until the bracelet fell of my wrist. When that dam that blocked my magic disappeared, it flowed with a vigor and fortitude unknown for centuries. I devoured it, let it flow through me, rejuvenated. The pain in my wing eased as the bone and flesh mended itself. I flexed it and grinned- Lyrel couldn't stop me now.

Cornix raised Corax and yelled to his armies in Shadowtongue, letting the magical blade amplify it. "Oriansynsyr!" he cried. Retreat.

As he called out the order we fell back towards the portal. My Master jumped into the air, dispersing into the shadows. I crouched and opened my wings to take off, giving Lyrel one last glance and then a wink as a cold smile crossed my face. Then I was gone into the darkness, not to be seen by the wælyr-en for a long time to come.

The Realm of Darkness is unlike anything fathomable from the Realm of Light. Hardly any demons can see, much less rely on sight, for the Shadow Realm is thrown into utter and complete oblivion except for at night when our three moons cast a dim light through the abyss. Despite its barren appearance, however, it is very much alive- eyes in the dark, watching; the sounds of hunting demons; the cries of their prey.

I breathed in the shadows and felt the umbra around me- no more of that burning brightness, none of that pure white luminescence. No more angels. Finally, I was where I belonged. I was home.

Because of my second sight I could still ‘see’ in a sense despite the lack of light. It was more like feeling the locations of entities as well as reading their auras and, in some cases, souls. It was daytime and therefore pitch black- just the way I liked it.

Spreading my wings, I landed atop a ledge overlooking our armies. In my hand I summoned an ebony diadem with a single red gem at its center and placed it on my head. It was what marked me as Cornix’s second, just as Corax marked him as the Arcdemon. The gem glowed as I touched it, its energy adding to my own.

A large, winged creature made out of shadows landed next to me, his eyes glowing red. Gyer in his true form.

My lady. His voice echoed in my mind as he bowed as much as a horse-beast could.

Rise, Gyer. You have done well. I didn’t bother looking at him as I spoke.

Thank you, mistress.

Go and feed.

He bowed once more. Many thanks, Lady Raven. He leapt into the abyss as I surveyed the armies below me. Cornix had done well without me. But I could help him make it even better.

So much had changed in three hundred years, and yet so little. The armies had grown, the shadows amassed. He’d brought the Realm of Darkness together for the first time in history. Yet nothing had changed. Not really. The devils still sought blood, the demons still ate souls, Cornix still fought for dominion over the Realms.

Then came the question: what about me? Had I changed? I must have. I hesitated when I saw the carnage of that town. I was actually asking myself this question. I’d failed to kill Lyrel. I’d defied my Master.

Do you know what I do with failures? Cornix’s words ran through my head. I recalled the pain he’d caused me with those words, tracing my scar. What had I done?

I would find out soon enough. Spreading my wings, I leapt into the air.

When Corax is obtained, its wielder becomes the Arcdemon and gets a title. For instance, Cornix was the Master of Lies. With Corax and this title comes a home of sorts: a castle in which the ruler of the Realm of Darkness resides. It is made of pure obsidian with a moat of lava. Inside it’s a maze of rooms full of twists and turns, impossible to navigate without inside knowledge. No one knows how it was made, or why- it has simply been there for as long as any of us can remember.

That was my destination. As Cornix’s second, it was where I resided. I landed as I reached the scorching golden moat, nodding to the demons that guarded it. They bowed low as I strode past and entered the throne room through vast onyx double-doors. Within smoky torches illuminated the shining glass-like walls to reveal a deep crimson carpet that led to an ebony throne on a raised dais. Behind the columns which held the torches were doors that led into a vast labyrinth of halls and corridors. On the back wall behind the throne was a jet banner with a blood-red symbol sewn into it resembling a sort of pincer. The symbol looked like a stem with an almost-circle at its top, two ends nearly meeting. In the middle of the circle that the pincers made was a sphere. The symbol of the Shadow Realm.

I stalked past it and through one of the obsidian doors into the maze of passages that made up the majority of the Arcdemon’s home. Finally I reached my destination: a simple, black door with runes around the frame and no handle. I placed my hand on it and muttered a single word and it swung open, admitting me through the threshold.

It opened to reveal a dust-covered room, the walls covered in shelves and bare of decoration or furniture except for a bed in one corner and a desk covered in drawers. Cobwebs spread their threads across the old tomes and jars. The desk was beneath piles of old scrolls, vials, and alchemy equipment. Finally, I was home.

I brushed my fingers over the yellowed labels of jars, scrawled in my spidery handwriting. Souls, hearts, plants, bones, and other ingredients had been waiting for me for three hundred years. My footsteps left tracks in the dust- it was completely untouched.

Darkness flew from my shoulder and landed on the headrest of my bed, preening contentedly. I absentmindedly began to hum as I began to clean the dust from the assortment of articles lying about the room. Darkness’ voice joined in with mine in perfect harmony, singing the song we both knew so well. The Shadowsong.

“Into Darkness the angel will fall,

giving in to an ancient call.

Borne of shadows, lived in light,

her heart lies in the midst of night.

Open wide the raven’s feathers spread,

calling forth the feel of dread.

On wings of death and shadows nigh,

she possesses future’s eye.

“Under skeletal trees of a red night,

with a blood moon shining bright,

A raven hatched with the power,

to see through all no matter the hour,

be it of the brightest night,

or it be of darkest light.

“Blade of Darkness, Blade of Light,

pierce the shadows of the night.

When the time comes of shadow’s reign,

with their power Chaos can be slain.

The Seer who’s eye sees through all,

has to decide whether the worlds shall fall,

and if they do it will be lost,

but forever it will repay the cost,

for the land of pure bright,

and the one of shadow’s might,

will survive this one and all,

when into Darkness the angel falls.”

The Lightwings feared the prophecy just as esqwyrin, demonkind, welcomed it. We thought it spoke of Darkness and I- however, our abilities as a seer didn’t work on ourselves. It would explain why Cornix helped us, and why Lyrel did. It gave reason to our power, our soul-link.

“Raven.” Our Master’s voice interrupted my reverie.

Yes, irom?”

“Come.” So it was finally time to face my punishment.

“Yes, my Lord.”

And he was gone. Calling Darkness to my shoulder, I exited my room and wove my way back through the countless passages and to the throne room. Cornix had taken on the form of his avatar: a pale-skinned human with black eyes and hair, wearing the same color scheme as myself. Corax was sheathed on his hip, calling to me as it always did in this close vicinity.

I knelt and bowed my head before the dais, pushing away the hint of fear I felt.

“For three hundred years,” he said as he stood. “You were a prisoner of the wælyr-en. They stole your power, separated you from your soul-bond, and left you there in that oblivion.”

I remained silent, unsure of and concerned about where he was going with this.

“So, naturally, when I felt your presence again I was surprised. Of course, I had faith in you despite your former failure- besides, this time you had the advantage of surprise. You were to have them fooled. And yet when I came to kill those angels, suddenly I couldn’t. You’ve failed me, Raven, for the second time. Most wouldn’t even get a second chance, much less a third. I don’t tolerate failure. And yet, here you are, at my feet, alive. So tell me, Raven: what would you have me do?”

I wasn’t entirely sure what to say to that. “Whatever you deem necessary as my punishment, Master,” I said without looking up.

Within moments his hand was around my throat, pinning me against one of the columns. I didn’t even bother to struggle- I had no chance of victory.

“I will give you one final opportunity,” he told me. “One. Fail me again…” A stabbing pain in my chest, over my heart…

“Yes, Master,” I choked out.

He dropped me. I crumpled to the ground, coughing. “I’m glad you understand me.” He walked cooly back to his throne, with all the nonchalance of a man who’d simply been greeting a friend.

“What are my orders, irom?” I asked as I stumbled to my feet.

“Well, you lost your chance to backstab the angels. I’m not sure what to do with you.”

Those without a use were promptly annihilated- he knew that, I knew that. “I am sure I can be of use, my Lord.”

“Are you now?”

“Yes, Master.”

“Find a way to kill the angels. I don’t care how, but I need them dead.”

“Yes, Master.”

“Do you need any clarification?” I could feel the malice around him like an aura.

“No, Master.”

“Then go.”

“Yes, Master,” I said raggedly as I rapidly retreated to my lair.

Was Lyrel right? Was that all I was, an unthinking automaton, living by the two simple words: yes, master? What was I even doing anymore? Why?

Now here I was, questioning my orders. Questioning my purpose. Questioning why I was questioning. I couldn’t do this. My loyalty was with Cornix no matter what. His word was my law; his wish my command. But more and more I found myself saying these words without heart, without belief, without that unwavering obedience I once had.

He would kill me if I failed him again. Of that I had no doubt. Then came the real question: why was he my Master? Should I follow him, risk my life for him, if he would kill me without a second thought? I was nothing but a tool. Once, that hadn’t mattered- I was in debt to him for helping me when I was a fledgling. No longer was that the case. He had no hold over me if I didn’t wish it. And, for the first time, I began to wonder whether or not I did wish it.

No. I shouldn’t doubt him. I hadn’t before- why start now? I pushed those traitorous thoughts to the back of my mind.

Find a way to destroy the angels. First I needed to see where they were and what they were up to: assess, plan, act. Scrying was my best option.

I searched through my jars of various concoctions until I found the one I was looking for: dragon’s heart. I’d magicked the jar to be able to contain such a large item by the way of a pocket dimension- the inside of the container was larger than the outside. I cut a slice off the mystical ingredient and replaced the lid of the vessel before pulling all the raw magic out of it.

I summoned my magic and closed my eyes, channelling it through myself. I saw the burned hovels of farmers….a blackened field….charred husks that once housed souls….blemished golden armour….a white feather falling to the ground….

“I told you we shouldn’t have freed her!” Lyrel barked at Bericus.

“If we hadn’t, the demons would be even farther ahead of us than they are now!” They were in a large tent, a map laid out on the ground with markers like the one back in Akaron.

“She’s back with Cornix,” my former mentor protested. “How could it be worse than this? We just handed over the most powerful asset on the board! It’s like playing a game of chess and then handing your opponent the only queen on the board when they are already several steps ahead of you!”

“Stop yelling and help me figure out a solution, Lyrel!” Bericus roared.

Lyrel growled something under his breath as his white raven fluttered to the table, seeming as irritated as his master.

“Now,” Bericus said, this time more calmly. “How can we deal with this situation?”

“I don’t know.” He was resigned. “The only reason we managed to get her last time was by tricking her, and if there is one thing I know, the same trick won’t work twice. That and the fact that now she can scry on us- she learned how to pierce the shroud the last time we tried to capture her. Chances are that she’s watching us now.”

“There has to be a way.” Bericus’ lion began to pace, portraying his own anxiousness…

Blood….terror…havoc…death…

The image was gone. Exhausted, I collapsed against the wall. So much blood, so much terror, so much havoc, so much death. When would it be over?

So, first off, I wanted to say that I think it's really interesting that your protagonist in this story is a demon. And not a demon who was always different than the other demons and really feels more at home with the angels, but a demony demon. A demon on the side of demons. That's so different! And even though she's a demon (also a female demon, which is different), we can relate to her.

For example, in this quote she's comforted by a place that, based on its description, would probably discomfit most normal people, but at the same time we can relate because she's home and it's familiar and safe and beloved.

I also like the fact that, by the end of the chapter, she's facing an internal conflict. She's been separated from her home and her own kind for so long that now, finding herself back with them, her initial relief gives way to this conflicted feeling that perhaps her master's bidding isn't what she ought to be doing.

The one thing that got me was the clarifications of demonic speech, particularly this bit.

I mean, I get that you want to make sure that readers understand what they're saying, but at the same time...it's really super obvious that that's why the characters are having this conversation, when they interrupt their own battle just to ask about a term in a language they don't want to speak anyway.

Finally, I was surprised by how well the italicized bits worked. Usually a sudden switch in font irritates me, but you used it only for a short period and to show us things Raven saw in visions rather than a flashback or something that was happening right now.

Featherstone says...

I'm glad you enjoyed it ^_^ Thank you for taking the time to read and review!

BluesClues says...

You're welcome!

LukeStarkiller wrote a review...

I'd like to start by saying that I haven't read the first few chapters of this, so my comments won't be on plot or character because I have little context for that. Although, despite this being my introduction to this book, I felt like I was reading a real book. I say this as a compliment because there wasn't much that took me out of the story. You were very focused for the entire chapter.

I do have some minor things that could be fixed. The chess metaphor is a little too drawn out. I would revise it to: "It's like playing a game of chess and giving your opponent a free queen!"

"As it turned out, proximity to Lyrel effected the power of the bracelet." Since "effect" is being used as a verb here, it should almost always be spelled "affect" (unless you are using it to mean "to bring out an effect").

Those are only minor complaints, though. Overall, I think you did an incredible job of keeping my attention and adding lots of internal conflict that will clearly lead to some good drama later in the story. Awesome job!

Featherstone says...

So that's the difference of affect and effect! THANK YOU

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand