12+

Fear and the Id

by emDevior

“The mind is like an iceberg it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water” says Sigmund Freud. The three states of mind, the Superego, our pre-conscious reality as well as accessible memories. Essentially is the waiting room to the mind, you can recall any memory from it. It is also how we assume and apprehend how we should act our absolute, innocent, and guilt-inducing half. The Id, which is entirely the contrary, it is our unconscious repressed memories, and our instinctual urges and desires. It is derived from memories we cannot retain, such as birth and traumatic experiences that were left unspoken. Such experiences shape a person’s mentality significantly, it is who they truly are, their Superego is simply who they wish to be. The Ego then is the dictator, choosing which half to trust, it is the conscious and environmental reality. Constantly, the ego is in a fight with itself to understand both sides and which to embrace and be confident of. Considering the Id is popularly viewed as all that is bad, usually, it is consciously disregarded. However, it unconsciously remains. To deny affiliation of our Id, we are denying reality. The Id will always be apart of you, we fear what we do not understand. It is best to try and understand each side and use them both in sync. Fascination with serial killers, grim literature, and horror movies are a gateway to the understanding of the Id. The gateway then opens to a much deeper part of us, which otherwise may not be accessed. We are allured to these ominous sources because we see an aspect of ourselves within them, allowing a deeper analogy of ourselves.

“The Shadow is not simply evil” (The Child and the Shadow, page 4) As stated by Ursula Le Guin, her concept of the man and the shadow applies with the concept of the Ego and the Id. If the Id is the shadow, the Superego is the light, and the Ego is the man. If our shadows were classified as evil then we are all evil. Light is not visible without a shadow, and a shadow does not exist without a light. Our shadows are immensely difficult to analyze solely, considering they are, for the most part, our unconscious. We find that part of ourselves embodied or symbolized in literature, and horror movies. The feeling received when experiencing them appeals to our shadows. It allows us to analyze ourselves in a much deeper, abstract way. Even non-fictional people such as Charles Manson, we can see a part of ourselves in, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Manson used this particular method in his creation of the Manson family. He appealed to the unspoken shadows of his followers. He used aversion and apprehension to appeal to their darker half, their shadows then overthrew their superego.

In Fall of the House of Usher, Roderick fears his own fears. Fears, in this case, would tie to his shadow. He fears his own shadow and tries to defy it. However, that defiance only leads to his shadow growing stronger. Throughout the story, little interaction between the narrator and Madeline occurs, foreshadowing Madeline is applied to, and symbolizes something much larger. Once Madeline is assumed deceased Rodrick and the Narrator place her in the tomb. Madeline is the embodiment of Roderick’s fears. He then tries to lock his fears away, he tries to deny his Id. But in the end, his shadow relocates itself back to him, slowly with a sense of foreboding. After Roderick's death, the original crack down the house splits the house into two. Which both collapse into the ground and disperse, representing the coexistence of the Superego and the Id within the ego. Without the other, they both are led to downfall and will collapse in the end.

If we are able to obtain an understanding of our Id and see the shadow that we all cast, we may then face and control who we truly are, and use it for the betterment of ourselves. To be afraid, simply is the obtaining knowledge of our shadows, of ourselves, in the figures portrayed. It is a bitter-sweet sensation, it is a natural instinct to be curious and to analyze, that is why we are allured to such morbid and compelling topics. Insanity itself is the definition of disowning your demons and your shadow. To who deny your half, lay dreaming beneath a common veil of distorted reality. To deny your darker half and let it consume you, as Roderick demonstrated, or to utilize it to consume others at your advantage, as Charles Manson demonstrated, are both the in-balance of the Id. You cannot exclude or embrace it but simply accept and advance with it. If we may dance with our shadows and laugh with our demons, then we will be sane, and we will be honest.  

Virgil wrote a review...

This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review on this lovely Review Day!

Oh boy! An article! I always love reviewing these on Review Day because they're a lot of fun to talk about and just jump right into. Speaking of jumping right into something, let's jump right into this by saying that these three paragraphs tend to drag on for awhile. I suggest breaking these up into maybe six paragraphs instead of three. Even five is better than turning them into blocks of text which is what this article edges on doing here.

This is more of a problem with the structure than anything else though a general rule of thumb is to start a new paragraph when there's a new thought or idea introduced. There's not a strong introduction or conclusion paragraph either which is also a problem with the structure I had. Instead we jump right into the essay without actually getting a summary of what this is going to be about. Same with the ending paragraph.

The content and details aren't supposed to be at the beginning of an essay for a reason. Starting with what you're going to be talking about in the essay and then concluding in the last paragraph with a summary of the main points is taught for a reason. At least this cites other sources--not something that I see usually done on this site when articles/essays are posted which is why most of them tend to fall into the category of being a think piece instead.

Then again, this is in the essay and not done to the best organization? That's half of what an essay is. Organization and putting your thoughts together in a way that people will find credible or worthy of paying attention to. The content is the other half. The philosophical thoughts here are fine, but as TheFreakFantastic mentioned in their own review, there's repetition running throughout this. Find synonyms for these words. Spice things up a bit. A little too drenched in metaphor for an essay of my tastes (and I love metaphor) and lacking of organization, but breaking this down to the core, there's potential. I'm just not swayed by the writing even though an interesting concept being laid before me.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:47 am
thefreakfantastic wrote a review...

Hi, I'm new here so I'm not quite sure how a review is supposed to work on this website but I'm going to for it.

First things first, it is abundantly clear that you know your information very well. That being said, the essay is lacking some components of structure and organization. The first paragraph doesn't have a clear and cohesive thesis which really undermines the other aspects of your piece. I think that majority of the information that is in the first paragraph should be introduced in a second paragraph. In your introduction, you should focus on outlining where your essay is heading instead of the outright explanation of the Superego, Ego, and Id. That way your reader can know what to expect but you can easily integrate them into that topic.

Second, I think you need to examine your word choice. You do articulate beautifully, but the repetitiveness of some words really takes away from that. For example the word 'shadow'. I counted it at least twelve times in your essay which makes it over used. I think that you could most definitely exchange those for different words like 'darkness'.

Third, calm down on the commas. There are couple run on sentences where you use a bunch of commas (called comma splices I think) when you should have ended it and started a new sentence. "After Roderick's death, the original crack down the house, splits the house into two, which both collapse into the ground and disperse, representing the co-existence of the Superego and the Id within the ego." Here is an example of one of those.

It's definitely shaping up to be a great essay and I hope you take these comments into consideration. I wish you the best of luck!

thefreakfantastic!

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor