Australia and Egypt

by electricbluemonkey

This was a Compare and Contrast project I did about 2 years ago for english class. Its about Australia and Egypt, I sort of added an advertising touch in the introduction :roll:

Introduction

Have YOU ever considered a trip to the fantastic, exotic Australia? Or maybe to the vast, culturally rich country of Egypt? If so, read ahead and find out what those two fabulous countries are like, what are their ups and downs, and how they are compared to each other. Or even if you aren’t planning a trip to those two places, just read anyway, maybe you will end up falling in love with one, or even both, of these countries and might end up going there some day!

Foods

Australian and Egyptian foods are very different, but are also a bit similar. Due to the fact that they both reside near coasts, a majority of their food includes fish, crustaceans, and other sea animals. Both kinds of foods are endless and go way back to the Old Age Period where aborigines controlled Australia as ancient Egyptians did Egypt. Australian and Egyptian cuisines also use a lot of vegetables and vegetable sauces on them, because marshes and fields are plentiful and the amount of crop harvested every year is virtually endless. The native food in both countries are also very salty, there is hardly never any sugar added, although now the packaged food might bring tons of sugar to boost sales. Ancient foods from both countries are also very different. Egyptian cuisine mainly has that wet, Turkish taste, while Australian food is dry and very much like our food today. Food names are very different also. Australian foods have main English kind of names, while Egyptian food sounds more like Arabic than African. Modern food in both countries is as different as it can get. Now, Australia is more of a sugar exporting place, although a lot of regular American food is still found, their main idea is sugar. Egyptian food still remains very much like native food, and will remain for the next years, due to culture is very strong in those parts, but although it might seem Egyptian, most food home cooked there is probably either Arabian or Middle-Eastern cuisine. But although Egyptian food is mostly very home-made like, a lot of their food is from all around the world. Many people say that their pizzas are the best ever, and their coffee is a really great boost in the morning. Another thing that is very similar in both countries is price. Foods are incredibly cheap compared to the U.S. and some things bought here can be bought in Australia and Egypt for almost half the price. Overall, foods in both places are always staying very native of their country, and there are many differences and similarities between them.

Languages

Now the next topic is about languages, and how they are different and similar. They are way more different than they are similar, and come from cultures really far apart. First I will speak of where the two languages come from. Olden Egyptian language comes from the Mesopotamian Era, where it was first developed. As for Australian languages, it comes from the Aborigines from more than 4ooo years ago. Modern Egyptian language is a form of Arabic, due to conquest and immigration from that country. Egyptian sort of got lost in the past years and barely anyone speaks it anymore. It is the same deal with Australia. The first Australian language is spoken only a little bit, in the forests and marshes south of Australia, which was first developed by Aborigines from Fiji and other native islands. This language also got lost as time passed and English people took over Australia and developed the national language English. Something really unique and similar about these two countries is that they both have sub-languages. Egypt’s sub-language (or rather writing) is called Demotic, an olden language used phonetically. Australia’s sub-language is called Strine, and is very similar to English, although some words are different. In example: sheep is said “jumbuck”, and afternoon is said “arvo”. In conclusion, languages in both Egypt and Australia range thousands of years old, and are very different from each other, but the language’s cultures are a bit similar.

Geography

Next I will state many things compared in Australian and Egyptian geography, meaning climate, landscape, wildlife and native plants. Like Egypt, parts of Australia are deserts ranging miles and miles. Most of the landscapes in the outbacks of both countries are very vast and open, filled with microscopic white sand. The difference is that the outback in Egypt is filled with dunes, whereas in Australia, flat land arrays everywhere. But in the fields of Australia, in the southern part, there are mountains everywhere, as tall as 1o,ooo feet, whereas in Egypt, mountains are scarce and are barely ever found. Around the wet marshes of Australia live thousands, even millions, of tall, rich, green trees almost 3 stories tall. In the marshes of Egypt, there aren’t many trees, but bushes and papyrus plants can be found close to the Nile River.

Climate in both countries are very alike, and very different. In the deserts of Australia and Egypt, you would expect the temperatures to be the same; scorching 125° Fahrenheit, if you do, you are correct. But in the marshes and green lands of both countries, temperature is very different. In Egypt, the temperature in forests and green lands range from 80° to 100° Fahrenheit, but in Australia, the temperature in those parts range from 60° to 85° Fahrenheit, due to the difference in atmosphere and pollution.

Wildlife in both countries might be the most different wildlife in all of Earth. Egypt holds many scavenging reptiles and birds in its marshes, including the crocodile and the ibis bird, whereas Australia is the country with the biggest population of marsupials, including the kangaroo and the koala. Although you might think that Australian and Egyptian animals are very different, there are some similarities between the two countries, they both hold an incredible amount of mammals in their deserts (and I am not only talking about humans). The Egyptian deserts are filled with jackrabbits, bobcats and many other mammals, just like Australia’s, where you can find emus and platypuses.

Conclusion

That concludes my report on two very different countries, which you might never have expected that were actually very similar. And if you are planning a trip to any of these countries, be sure to consider what is written. If you go for the fabulous and exotic wildlife, scenic landscapes, or just to relax on the beaches and just eat a different kind of food, you’ll end up loving Australia or Egypt.

theron guard wrote a review...

It would depend on where in Asia or Australia. Like I would not go to China, but I would go to Japan. Or I would go to Sidney, but not Perth. :? :D

Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:40 am

Vevgie, vegie, vegemite! Well, yeah, it is pretty bad.

Yeah, I would pick Australia too (the whole project was on Australia, I just had to compare it to some other country). Thanks for all the feedback, I didn't think it was good, but now that you all say that I think about it better.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:29 am
Elizabeth wrote a review...

Very good. I'm doing a report about Poland.... (-_-) WAH!!!
I would too go to australia, it's because my uncle lives there... he ... is having an operation... and I really love him... and he doesn't have a good chance at survival.... So if he dies, i want to be right next to him...

And you didn't mention vegemite... did you? that stuff is NASTY I dont' know how people from Australia can stand it.

Green Monkey says...

Ummm... I'd rather go to Australia, cause a YWS member named Kite is really cool and he lives there!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx