z

Young Writers Society



I

by copgraveyard


take flight, our airplanes go right over the Midwestern clouds, passing over several football stadiums.

our wings are bonded together as we try to escape together

but as the flight gets lengthier, we soon separate,

you fly across the nation,

I crash in the Rockies.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
498 Reviews


Points: 5966
Reviews: 498

Donate
Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:56 am
Que wrote a review...



I thought I should start at the beginning of your little series here.
Hey dropout!

take flight, our airplanes go right over the Midwestern clouds, passing over several football stadiums.

It's a style choice for you, but I feel like this first line is a bit lengthy and could be broken up more. Also, the "the" in front of "Midwestern clouds" sounds a little off, so you may want to take it out. The part about football stadiums seems a bit insignificant to the whole poem, and it's not necessarily the best thing to describe Midwestern scenery if that's what you were going for. You could always find a more elegant way to say the same thing too, if you wanted to.

our wings are bonded together as we try to escape together

Hmm, the second "together" is rather redundant. It's not necessary for this line, so you could just take it out. Maybe include what you're trying to escape?

The ending is pretty neat, I like how the two separate and one ends up crashing without the other. For even more contrast, you may want to say "you fly across the ocean" because that's more drastically different from the Rockies.

This is a pretty cool poem! I'm going to read the next ones too. :)

-Falco




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:44 am
Aley wrote a review...



Hey Dropout,

Here for another review!

First off I'd like to say that this poem really shows itself off well. You did a really good job with the style of the poem here. I think you also have a good flow for your words. When you're reading the poem it gives itself enough life that you aren't caught up with how the words should sound, but just smoothly flowing over them as it should be. You also aren't caught up with a lot of determiners, and conjunctions which is always nice in a poem because it eliminates a lot of the clutter and useless words. You do have some prepositions which could probably be eliminated as well, but they help keep things smooth.

On this poem I will say that your specific word choice could probably be better. For instance, you use "together" twice in one line. That's not good. Repeating words that close together ends up making the reader lose interest and wonder if they just read the same thing again, which draws them out of the poem and gives them a chance to leave. When we're writing poetry, we need to try to get a captive audience, and anything that's not going to captivate them is going to give them a window of opportunity to leave.

I really like the detail in the first line, but it is a bit long. Because none of the other lines are that long it gives our audience a chance to focus on other things, like, on YWS, your name, age, Sam, and your stars. That's not what we want. If we had something to hop down to, then it would be okay, but because it's hanging out there so far, it's sort of on it's own. You do, however have a nice slope going on and I wouldn't want to interrupt that so what I'd suggest is to break it off with the first line being short, and the next one being the long top of the cliff, so to speak if we look at your poem visually and not as words.

Aside from that, I really liked it. Like I said, try to split up the first line just enough to draw the beginning of the last word close to the end of the last word on the line after it, and rephrase that line to avoid saying "together" twice.

Other than that I don't have much to say. Good job.

Aley




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 28

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:07 am
Hippyhoodrat says...



Hi. I enjoyed this...just a few comments.
I think the choice to be somewhat simple about it and go short was really cool. Same kind of concept with the title. It's not much but it says a lot, in my opinion. I think simply going from "take flight" to "taking flight" would fit nicely into that first part. Also maybe you want to consider taking out "as we" in that second line, making it "Our wings bonded together, trying to escape"..something like that to improve the overall flow of the poem. I also agree with a previous review that the overuse of the word together in that second line doesn't work.
Great poem, nice job :)




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 28

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:07 am
Hippyhoodrat wrote a review...



Hi. I enjoyed this...just a few comments.
I think the choice to be somewhat simple about it and go short was really cool. Same kind of concept with the title. It's not much but it says a lot, in my opinion. I think simply going from "take flight" to "taking flight" would fit nicely into that first part. Also maybe you want to consider taking out "as we" in that second line, making it "Our wings bonded together, trying to escape"..something like that to improve the overall flow of the poem. I also agree with a previous review that the overuse of the word together in that second line doesn't work.
Great poem, nice job :)




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:49 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here for a review on this lovely little short piece.

Honestly, I think this poem is really powerful. It makes its point well in such a short amount of space, and that takes a lot of skill. However, there are still a couple of things that make this not quite as tidy of a poem as it could be.

Extraneous Words.
A couple of your lines are unnecessarily wordy, and that detracts from the overall poem a lot in such a short piece. I'll just go through and point those out.

our wings are bonded together as we try to escape together

The repetition of "together" really doesn't flow well. I'd recommend just using the second "together" and get rid of the first. Or, alternatively, get rid of both of them, since it's kind of implied that they're going to escape together.

but as the flight gets lengthier, we soon separate

This part just doesn't feel very poetic, and the wording is a bit awkward. The rest of the poem is so immediate, and this just isn't. Consider inserting a nice bit of imagery to give us the feeling of the flight wearing on. Something like the night approaching, or the main character's wings feeling heavier. Show to us the length of the flight.

If you don't want to do that, though, you could settle for something like "the flight drags on, and you pull ahead." I really think it would be better with a nice piece of imagery, though.

Title
I actually really like the title. To me, the simple title of "I" shows that the narrator thinks that what happens in this poem is a fundamental difference between them and the other person - maybe the other person always succeeds, and the narrator always fail? It's open for interpretation, and I like that about a title.

The one other thing I'd like to comment on is that I don't really understand why it's important to mention that they pass over several football stadiums. I assume it has some sort of significance, but you might like to go into that a little bit more.

And that's all I've got for you! Good luck and keep writing!




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 1561
Reviews: 109

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:16 am
GLaDOS wrote a review...



Well lookie, lookie at this cookie.

I'm an idiot. Onto the review!

One of the first things I noticed after actually reading the poem was the heading at the top labeled "Poetry: Romantic, Spiritual." I don't exactly understand how this would be spiritual as this poem seems to be a metaphor for /something/. If you would kindly explain that, I'd appreciate it.

I think this poem was inappropriately named. It is simply called "I," but it would be more appropriate if it actually had to do with the poem itself. The title "I" sort of gives a clue that this poem is about who you are as a person, and that's just coming from the one-letter title.

our wings are bonded together as we try to escape together

You used the word "together" twice in this line which makes things just a bit repetitive. It slightly ruins the flow of the poem. But the rest of the poem was quite lovely, not bad.

✖︎




copgraveyard says...


Well, I don't want to be lame with my titles, do I?

thanks.



User avatar
175 Reviews


Points: 15167
Reviews: 175

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:11 am
Harker wrote a review...



Hey there, dropout212! Sparkles here to review your awesome poem. Let's see...

Formatting and Logistics:

So let's start here. Formatting. Now, I get that this may be a stylistic choice--having the lines slowly grow shorter, but it doesn't seem to be purposeful to the point where you should keep it. It just feels awkward and like a word processing error or like you simply weren't paying attention. I'd advise shortening the length of each individual line by adding line breaks (and the corresponding punctuation) in the appropriate places. For instance,

"take flight -

our airplanes go right over the Midwestern clouds,

passing over several football stadiums.

our wings are bonded together as we try to escape together

but as the flight gets lengthier, we soon separate,

you fly across the nation,

I crash in the Rockies."

See? It was pretty easy and pretty effective. Now, onto

Phrasing:

Phrasing. Here we go. I'm going to go line by line (as you have the lines, not as I just had the lines) and suggest a few changes for you. Ready?

take flight, our airplanes go right over the Midwestern clouds, passing over several football stadiums.


Now, when you have a short poem like this, you want ever single line to be powerful. So that's why I want to pinpoint a few words in the poem that distance the reader and cause the ideas to be weaker. First, "go right over". There are plenty of options for what you could use here. "Speed", "wizz", "fly", "bump"--and that's just off the top of my head. Really make us feel what you mean. The poem is short and image-driven, and you want to make those images as evocative and expressive as possible. Also: "several". This is quite boring and really distanced me as a reader from the poem.

our wings are bonded together as we try to escape together


This is nice, but "bonded together" and "escape together" is awkward. I'd get rid of both of them, in this case.

but as the flight gets lengthier, we soon separate,


"Lengthier", here, is not a great choice. Even something boring and useless as "as the flight goes on" would be more relevant here. I don't mean to be harsh, but right now I feel like you're telling here, not showing. Just "first, we were flying - as the flight goes on, we separate", et cetera, et cetera. I'm--to be honest--completely unengaged as a reader at this point. The phrasing seems awkward, as well.

you fly across the nation,

I crash in the Rockies.


I like this. It's a strong ending--just work on the stuff I was talking about before.

Don't forget to be awesome!
IronSpark




copgraveyard says...


It was a formatting choice.



User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 4915
Reviews: 172

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:58 pm
RagingLive wrote a review...



Hey, dropout212! Welcome to YWS!! RagingLive here to review your poetry today!

I found this a very interesting poem and I loved the general idea behind it. This piece was short, but very powerful. You didn't have much of a rhyme or rhythmic pattern going, but in free verse, you don't really have too.
I found the use - or should I say non-use - of capitalization and punctuation very fitting for this poem. Overall, it was a great work!

I understand the significance of your title simply being 'I' but I feel as though it doesn't do the poem justice. Maybe it could be better described as "To Take Flight" or something of the like. If you do decide to leave it the same, though, I would suggest changing it to lowercase so that it would fit in with the style of your poem.

I didn't quite understand the pattern of your sentences, and in fact have a few questions about some of them.

our airplanes go right over the Midwestern clouds, passing over several football stadiums.

If you are high enough to go over clouds, you aren't going to be able to see football fields very well - if at all. I also don't get the significance of this. Why mention football fields? What does this have to do in a romantic, spiritual poem?

but as the flight gets lengthier, we soon separate,

I'm not seeing very much imagery here, and imagery is very key in poetry. Just because it's lengthy they separate? Maybe using flight terms such as 'turbulence' could build more suspense and a more powerful image. Even just referencing a storm might help.

you fly across the nation,

I crash in the Rockies.

This was my favorite part, I love it when poems go out with a bang!

I think that you have awesome potential and I hope that you keep writing and keep on smiling!! :D
~RagingLive





As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro