z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Wordsmithing: The Circle of Philosophy

by dragonfphoenix


The Circle of Life (Philosophies)

In worldbuilding (for all you non-fantasy/sci-fi writers, I'll bring this "back down to Earth" for you in a moment), religion is an important part of the fictional world [although Islam and Christianity aren't religions: they're lifestyles]. All right, back on the tracks. *scolds self* In talking with a writer friend of mine, we discussed what the 'essence' of a religion is, specifically the invented religions. She detailed how religion has four major points: a view on life, marriage, children, and death. However, in studying what each of those meant, I discovered a fifth, central tenet, the foundation for the religion: a view of God. And further study revealed something interesting- these five points can be applied to every worldview, life philosophy, and religion. Basically, these are the five main categories of how a person views the world around them. [Yes, I know I broke the number/antecedent agreement. Go back and read my chapter on sexist language.] First, an illustration.

That is the "Life Philosophy Diagram." Now, to explain what each of those Views means. The View of Life is not just how you live your life (your code of ethics and morality), but your origins, where you came from [think back farther than Biology class]. A View of Life includes the origins of the Universe and humanity, not just your parents or further back ancestors, but the origins of the first humans, and where everything came from, including the 'dust' of outer space [and space itself, people]. That is what the View of Life means. The View of Marriage may not seem important or even detailed beyond "Does the Church or State hold the authority to give marriage licenses?" and whether marriage is homo- or heterosexual. A View of Marriage could include the View that marriage isn't important [seriously, just because you dismiss the importance of an issue means you have a View on the issue]. And it's also important due to the next issue, Children. A View of Marriage also includes the purpose of marriage, whether it's designed to make two people happy or to propagate the human species. That brings us to the View of Children. A View of Children means their importance, who gets to raise them, their determination (are they an accident, an inconvenience?) and so on and so forth. Saying that Children serve little more purpose than to continue the human race and take care of us in our old age is one View of Children, but not the only or the best View. The last 'outer' View is a View of Death. Is Death the end? Is there an Afterlife? Do we have souls that live on, or do we just turn into dust? The answer to all of these is your View of Death. And finally, the central belief, a View of God. Does He (or It) exist? Is there One, or multiple? Which version? What religion is right? Is there no God? Is Atheism correct? Why not just live as if there is a God but never know for sure (Agnosticism)? Whatever your answer to the questions, "Is there a God? Which God?" you have a View of God. Saying He/It doesn't exist means you have a View of God. Your View of God affects all the other Views, which is why I placed it in the center. [If you don't understand my explanation or want more info/better explanation, just message me].

Now, on to the worldbuilding and character development. For all you inventing your own religion, a quick word of advice: think through it first. If it sounds retarded to you (think polytheism [multiple gods]), it's probably going to be absolute trash that no one would ever believe in, since you're already going to dismiss it out of hand. At least make sure that your gods sound like something people could have believed in. Seriously, I'm really tired of reading books with a 'gods' system, and there being nothing more than these immortal humans on steriods standing by to destroy the world, or a bunch of completely unbelievable stories that in no way dictate or even imply a need for the gods to be worshipped. Give the peole a reason to believe! *sighs* All right, rant over. But whether you're inventing a religion for your fantasy/sci-fi world or just building a new character, you need to consider the Five Views. Giving your character/religion a believable and defendable position will strengthen your writing and give you a chance to impress people by showing them that, hey, you actually sat back and thought about what you're writing. And inspecting a new character's worldview by feeling out how they view the world around them will give you greater insight into how to write them. Go exploring. Write a character who believes completely opposite everything you believe, and step into their shoes and defend their beliefs, not trash them. It will open your eyes and the readers' if you can showcase a philosophy and have the maturity to give an honest renditioning of its strengths and faults. The world (fictional or otherwise), and your writing, will be better for it.

Any questions? My apologies for anything that is unclear.

Addendum: The Big Three Questions

In 'real' philosophy (i.e. being philosophically correct in our usage of words), there are three "big" questions all philosophers pursue: where did I come from, why am I here, and where am I going? The Five Views, as outlined above, will be your answers to these questions. Where did I come from is answered by your View of Life; Why am I here is answered in your Views of Life, Marriage, and Children (and perhaps some bleed-over into your View of Death); and Where am I going is answered by your View of Death. Central to all of these is your View of God, which is your foundation for your other four Views, and ultimately your reasoning for your four Views will lead to your View of God.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 683
Reviews: 86

Donate
Mon May 26, 2014 1:08 am
View Likes
ConfusedGlasses wrote a review...



You know what?? I'm seriously becoming addicted to your writing. I just find that the things that you're saying stand so true! You might just be a lone observer (a good one at that). But you are bringing the philosopher out in me. These things that you say are more than true.
I caught some typos in there, if you don't mind:
"...the View that marriage ins't important...""
It's supposed to be "isn't" don't you think?
Um, well that's it I think. Keep bringing the truths about the writers out to the world. I will support you even in the dark.




User avatar
413 Reviews


Points: 11009
Reviews: 413

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:47 pm
Cailey wrote a review...



Hey there, and Knight Cailey again, reviewing/ responding to another essay of yours.

I like this little Wordsmithing essay collection? articles? thing. that you've started.

My first thing with this one, though, is more paragraphs!! That first paragraph was really hard to read- it was way too long and so full of information and points and side notes in parentheses. I just couldn't take it.

However, I like the parentheses, but make sure they are all the same (like this) or [like this] but not both. Choose one and stay consistent throughout the piece.

And yeah- a picture would definitely help, so as soon as you can figure out how to add a picture instead of having extra description, put it in so that we can understand what you're saying rather than juggling with the imagined circle and trying to focus on the reading.

I think you could expand on each of the five Views, maybe even to the point where you have a separate paragraph explaining each. I don't think that would be too much, and it would give you a change to explain them better and give more examples, which would make it easier to understand.

Nice job, I like the idea, and if I was creating a religion in my story this would most definitely be helpful. So thanks!




User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:41 pm
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hola,

This essay has the same slipshod organisation as the last one I read. You need to consider your format and apply it appropriately to your arguments so as to create an essay which is clear, expressive and informative. Right now you need more paragraphs, and those paragraphs need to clearly cover and discuss the central ideas of your essay. What is this essay about? Why are you writing it? What is important about it? Those aren't your central ideas, I just want to know what on earth you're thinking as you create this.

Consider please backing up some of your essay discussion with sources (this isn't essential, I only think it would lend weight to the arguments you are presenting). Lose your asides, the bolding, the unnecessary additions and clarifications. If you need to clarify what you said immediately after you have said it, you haven't said it right. Reconsider how an introduction is formed. Think of it this way;

Introduction: Topic sentence, introduction of main concept/context, main points to address, tie points together, concluding sentence.

Body: Collection of paragraphs details main points in same order as presented in introduction. New paragraph per point.

Conclusion: Summary of main points, answer/clarification of main decision regarding prompt, concluding sentence.

Consider your structure as the template of how your argument should process. And beyond all, avoid such offensive suggestions as

If it sounds retarded to you (think polytheism [multiple gods]), it's probably going to be absolute trash that no one would ever believe in
Polytheism is believed by a great many people and is not in any way to be disregarded while world building or considering the validity of religions. While we're at it, mind your use of the capitalised G and lowercase g. A god is not the same as the Christian God, the world views you talk about should consider the tenement of a view of god not God. Deities come in all shapes and forms and disregarding them as all powerful humans who just want to destroy suggests maybe you don't know a lot about the polytheistic religions like Ancient Greek and Roman and many others. They were human like and also liked to destroy stuff a lot - but not to be dismissed as nonsense.

Attempt to keep your language and expression formal rather than informal, it will make your essay easier to approach academically.

Good luck,
Penguin.






I forgot to say. If you upload an image to an image hosting site you can then attach that link inside the tags and that will give you the image. The site I usually use is TinyPic



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 1662
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:03 am
Morkish wrote a review...



Morkish, here for another review of your work, knight Dragon!

I would go into a big discussion about this with you, because I truly love the idea of simply thinking (I'm a social science major...we share our lunch time with the philosophy peeps');) however, since this is a review I will keep it based on how well you wrote it! :P

Once again, you did a great job writing this article. You presenting your persuasive and informative essay very well. You began with the large picture (literally by defining it) and then you broke it down into parts. Next, you masterfully tied it into story-world and character development. I would like to add as a side note that this came at a good timing for my own story-world and character development. I like the diagram, and will probably use it in my own developmental process!

I really enjoy reading all what you have to say in the wordsmithing articles. They range from anything, but can always be tied down to our own writing benefits!





It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind