Sailing the Storm

by destinywriter27

I had decided to set ashore,

With no goal in mind anymore.

Lost sight of the land I started from,

And soon got lost within the storm.

A lone sailor, amidst the

Overwhelming waters.

My timid boat, gathered

Much of it inside.

And soon, I was drowning

Deeper and deeper.

The more I tried to paddle, I sunk

Lower and lower.

Stay calm, I told myself.

This too shall pass away.

Soon enough and surprisingly so,

I reached the shore.

The storm brought me to it.

I watch the sea get calmer now.

But this is not the shore

I wanted to reach.

Perhaps it was destiny,

Perhaps I have many

More storms to go.

I can see the land I had

Started off from, far in the distance.

And they may start the

Same journey or they may not.

Either way, I got to be

Ready to dive in.

Once these clothes are dry again.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:12 am
Charm wrote a review...

Hey! This is Alice here to review your poem.

Story

So there is this sailor who left home quite some time ago and he is very far from home now. He decides to go ashore, but he gets caught in a storm which takes him on a journey. He almost drowns? and he'll go back once his clothes are dry again.

The story was a bit confusing but in poetry stories don't need to be perfectly understandable. I mostly like mine to leave the bits blurred so the reader can try and uncover the meaning and hidden truths of the work.

Grammar, Punctuation, Confusion, etc.

The grammar was okay. There were some lines that were confusing and just sounded weird. There were commas in odd places and you capitalized when unnecessary. All these problems can be fixed quite easily so I wouldn't worry about that. There were some lines that left me confused and that has to do with the story as well. It wasn't mystery like most poets try in incorporate in their work, it was more like you were jumping around and I couldn't follow.

Relate-ability

I didn't find it quite relate-able because well I'm not a sailor. I know I don't have to be a sailor to feel his emotions but I really didn't get the piece. I feel like you were trying to say that there are storms in life? Or at least something like that.

Summary & Conclusion

I'm reading other reviewers' reviews and I can see that I might have not understood this work like they did, since they seem to fully understand the story. I'm still confused and I really think that once you fine-tune this work it'll be easier to understand and overall much better.

I do though think it was very good and I'm sorry if my review was a bit harsh. :D
Thank you for publishing this work, it was a pleasure to read it.
Never stop writing,
Alice.

Hi there destinywriter27! Niteowl here to review this poem.

Overall, I like the message of this poem. It tells a solid story of a person on an aimless journey who ends up somewhere they didn't expect. That said, I think the structure could use a little fine-tuning.

As the previous reviewers have said, the first two lines set up the expectation of a rhyming poem, but the rest doesn't. I would keep the whole thing in free verse myself, since you seem to be doing quite nicely without shoe-horning in rhyme.

On stanzas: they may be useful, and you may have had them originally but they got eaten by the Publishing Center. That's a known bug, and I think this is a good way to fix it if you want to do that.

Another thing I'd like to talk about is line breaks. At least once, you end on insignificant words like "the". This is something I'd avoid because the ending word of each line is going to get the most attention from the reader. Therefore, you want to end on the strongest words possible.

A lone sailor, amidst the

Overwhelming waters.

In addition to a weak line break, this isn't a complete sentence. In most cases, especially for a nice narrative poem like this, I suggest punctuating poetry like you would prose. Otherwise, you can really disrupt the flow of the piece. Remember, a sentence has a subject and a verb. As written, this is just one really long subject. I would rework it like this: "I sailed alone/amidst the overwhelming waters." If you need more help with this or have any other questions, let me know!

Perhaps it was destiny,

Perhaps I have many

More storms to go.

This is one of those weak line endings, but it's hard to suggest a change because there are a lot of weak words in this section. It makes me think of an English class where we were only allowed to use the verb "to be" (in any tense) three times per paragraph. With all the verbs in the English language, you want to lean on the most interesting ones in your poetry whenever possible. "It was", "I have" and "to go" are not very interesting. My suggestion: "Perhaps destiny brought me here/to weather the many storms/that may come."

And they may start the

Same journey or they may not.

Either way, I got to be

Ready to dive in.

1) Why the sudden inclusion of "they"? This is predominately a first person story, and I would keep it that way.

2) "I got" is grammatically incorrectly. Alternatives include "I have", "I've got", "I have got", or "I need". Personally, I like the last option since it's a stronger verb like I discussed above.

Overall, this is a very interesting poem, but I would continue to work on the structure and wording to make it even better. Keep writing! :D

Sarah12 wrote a review...

Hey! This was beautiful. It really told a story very well.

However, I can't really tell if this is meant to rhyme or not! The first two lines gave the impression of it being a rhyming poem, but the rest of the poem didn't seem to have a rhythm to it. I would stick without the rhyming pattern, and just alter the first two lines.

Also, since you used punctuation in the poem, on the parts where you are in the middle of a "sentence" and you switch lines, don't capitalize it. It makes it a little confusing to read and I struggled to read it out loud due to this.

Well, that was my review. Great job overall, and keep writing!

Sarah12

Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, destinywriter27.

I hate to break it to you, but this poem doesn't fit to be rhymed. The first two lines already show that.

I had decided to set ashore,
With no goal in mind anymore.

The stress is off. 'ashore' is two syllables while 'anymore' is three. To create a good rhyme, make sure the involved words are similar in their number of syllables. The third and fourth lines are a good representation of that.

A lone sailor, amidst the
Overwhelming waters.
My timid boat, gathered
Much of it inside.

These lines enforce more of my conclusion that this poem is not suitable to be a rhymed poem. Free-verse seems to fit--it has no restricted format like rhymed one, and these lines are free-verse's.

My timid boat, gathered
Much of it inside.

Avoid using abstract adjectives that can be described. 'timid' in what sense? The worn surface? The fading colour? The number of years it has been used on the ocean? Show us how it's 'timid'. Just saying it so doesn't convince us it is so.

Overall, this poem has potential. The metaphor of 'boat', 'storm', and 'shore' are simple yet powerful in terms of delivering the message. However, the imagery can be broaden. Along with storm, tell us how the sky looks like. How's the sound of being close to a storm. More imagery, more description, and we readers would feel like we're really there and that we could understand this lone sailor. Utilize this to get your message across more efficiently.

And that is all! Keep improving! :D

Ivywater wrote a review...

Hello Destinywriter27, Ivy here to review your work.

This is a very...interesting piece of poetry. What was your inspiration for writing this? Did it randomly pop into your mind (like all of my ideas) or was it something you, or someone close to you, experienced?

However, there are somethings I would change, only minor changes though. You might want to separate it into stanzas( just a suggestion). You also began rhyming at the beginning but stopped after that, so you might also want to rhyme a bit more.

And they may start the

Same journey or they may not.

I'd also put "same journey" on the same line as "And they may start", but I'm not a master at poetry so I guess this isn't really necessary.

Anyways, that all I can find. Good job and keep writing :)

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan