The Writing Mood

by chocoholic

Short, and probably not very good, but I'm bored and needed to write, even though I didn't want to.

-------------

Many people love writing, but everybody finds it hard. Even professional authors. Everybody has a time in their life when they sit down to write, a pen in their hand or their fingers perched above the keyboard, but the words don’t come. The pen stays in the air until the person gives up, and the keys are untouched until Word is cancelled and games opened. That is called writers block, but perhaps there is also another reason. The writing mood.

Yes, you heard me correctly. The writing mood. When you have writers block, usually you want to write, but can’t. With the writing mood, you can write, but don’t want to. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about, when you just don’t feel like writing. Maybe it’s because you were writing, and then you had to go and do something else. Then you come back and sit down, and you just think, ‘I can’t be bothered doing this anymore’. Then you give up and leave.

Actually, I’m not in the writing mood now. I was writing a story on the family laptop, and my dad had to use it. I cancelled my page and came to my computer. I don’t want to write. I don’t want to re-write what I just wrote, I don’t want to write anything else. I just don’t want to write.

And it’s not just writing, either. I’ve had it with homework (yes, sometimes I actually do want to do my homework), cleaning my room, getting up, reading, everything! Even eating.

As of yet, I don’t know any way of stopping this. I just have to wait it out, doing something else. Then, maybe, just maybe, I’ll want to go back later and write.

Valkyria wrote a review...

Hello chocoholic,

I'm reviewing this piece for RevMo:)

As starlitmind said, this piece is so relatable! Every paragraph speaks out to me. I love the informal tone this took.

Many people love writing, but everybody finds it hard.

On the first day of my writing class, we talked about this topic. What a coincidence!

The pen stays in the air until the person gives up, and the keys are untouched until Word is cancelled and games opened.

Add "are" in between "games" and "opened."

Yes, you heard me correctly. The writing mood.

Perhaps you could replace the period with a colon.

When you have writers block, usually you want to write, but can’t.

Add "you" in between "but" and "can't."

Then you come back and sit down, and you just think, ‘I can’t be bothered doing this anymore’

Happens every time I try to write.

I really enjoyed reading this! It's humorous and relatable; great job!

starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm here courtesy of RevMo :D

I love how relatable this piece is. It's almost humourous in a way. I loved seeing your approach on writer's block, or as you call it, the "writing mood." :P Your reasons are pretty valid, which also makes this very relatable. There's not much for me to critique about this given its informal tone and topic, but there are just a few things I'd like to point out!

That is called writers block, but perhaps there is also another reason.

"writers block" should be "writer's block"

When you have writers block, usually you want to write, but can’t. With the writing mood, you can write, but don’t want to.

These two sentences are saying pretty much the same thing, so I think one could be taken out. Or you can try to make it less repetitive.

Maybe it’s because you were writing, and then you had to go and do something else. Then you come back and sit down, and you just think, ‘I can’t be bothered doing this anymore’. Then you give up and leave.

You repeat the word "then" a lot in these sentences, so I think it would benefit you to reduce the amount of times you write "then" to avoid unnecessary repetition. Also, there period should go inside of the quote ('I can't be bothered doing this anymore.')

I was writing a story on the family laptop, and my dad had to use it. I cancelled my page and came to my computer. I don’t want to write. I don’t want to re-write what I just wrote, I don’t want to write anything else. I just don’t want to write.

You use past tense when describe this event, so I would be consistent with that by changing "don't" to "didn't"

(yes, sometimes I actually do want to do my homework)

Haha xD

You said you wrote this sort of for the sake of writing this, but if you wanted to improve this, I think it would be helpful to provide more specific examples of what can cause the "writing mood" or writer's block. Even though you said you don't know any way of stopping this, it would be nice if you could provide not necessarily solutions but tips or ideas to help you overcome this. Basically, I think specificity would really make this piece stronger.

And that's it! Like I said, I don't have much to say since this is on the shorter side, but I definitely enjoyed reading this! It's a topic we all can probably relate to, and that's what made this fun to read. I hope this helped :D

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:47 pm
[deleted3] wrote a review...

It's even harder to write today b/c of all the extraneous sources there are. I mean, I'm a huge NBA fan and I can get every single game for just $90, of course I'm going to do that, and knowing that a really entertaining game is on makes it pretty hard to write, or concentrate to write.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:37 am
happy-go-lucky wrote a review...

The writing mood? Yep it happens A LOT.

I always seem to get it in the chapters i haven't particularly planned out or have written before and I loath it with a passion! I want to write but can't. THEN I'll think of what i'm going to write and eureka! *light bulb flicks on* it all comes flooding back. THEN I have to do homework and by the time I've finished I've forgotton and the circle starts again.

what i guess I'm trying to say is I DEFINITELY know where you're coming from!!!!!!! :D

Mon May 19, 2008 4:15 am
Black Ghost wrote a review...

I liked it at the beginning, it sounded as if you were going to start a good discussion about something insightful. Though, at the end, it seemed as if you just started to go off in a rant, and it lost its coherence. I'm not really sure what you wanted to do with this. It would have been better if you had explored the concept of the "writing mood" a bit more, because really, at the end you just kind of trailed off into, well, I don't know :P . Anyways, considereding you were bored and didn't feel like writing, this isn't half bad. :D

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

Mon May 19, 2008 4:07 am
Jellybee wrote a review...

Exactly what I was thinking about! Some of my friends read what I write and keep on telling me: where's the next chapter? And I just say: I don't have time... while I'm just too in the Writing Mood. I like this name,lol.

It's true that the text is a little bit confused: but it reflects the way your mind goes and I like that. I prefer when I can go in the head of the writer, see what he/she thinks than just see the pattern he/she set for me ^^.

deleted2 wrote a review...

O M G
really true!
I hate it when you want to write but can't! it annoys me so much it makes my mood all :evil:
lol
my poor family :D
Anyway, good work!
Xxx Do

Thu May 01, 2008 9:44 pm
Moving Forward wrote a review...

I know excatly what you mean by this!

When you first start out, you are talking about me. Well, you use third person, skip to second, and then to first. I'm not against the third-to-second switch, but either talk about professional authors and other people, or talk about yourself. It's hard to tell whether this is an information piece or a narrative personal essay. Don't make people have to choose, even though I know that you of course wrote it 'just for fun' (though I assume you didn't have fun writing it?)

Nice job on forcing yourself to write, but try not to make it evident that you're forcing yourself.

-Save-Ferris- says...

How very true...

>.<

Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:00 pm
Ross wrote a review...

Oh my God. I have experienced writing mood SO many times. I get kicked off the computer when an idea just pops up. Honestly, my dad sets a limit for me because I spend so much time thinking. We writers are not very understood. :(

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:04 pm
teenweirdo wrote a review...

It switches from third to first person very quickly. It seems kind of weird to me how that happens and it doesn't seem like the first two paragraphs flow very much because of that. Also, you repeat, "I don't want to write." Maybe just say it once, or say why you don't want to write in place of one of the phrases. I hope you don't have writer's block again. Sorry I critiqued something so old. *slaps head* Stupid me. Oh, well. Already done. Good job, though. :)

~Jamie

Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:21 am
the morrow wrote a review...

I don’t want to write. I don’t want to re-write what I just wrote, I don’t want to write anything else. I just don’t want to write.

Caution: the following advice will be cliched. You need inspiration and purpose to your writing. The best cure to this is reading. Read something unusual. If you read fiction, read non-fiction instead. When you write something, think of what you want to say, your theme. Convey your convictions, and if you don't have many convictions worth conveyance, read columns and literature to find new opinions.

Everyone goes through periods of their life where they don't have the will to do anything. I've been there myself, and I know it's not fun. You may be experiencing a mild depression. Don't panic at this term--everybody goes through mild depression, whether they know it or not; it is considered the "common cold" of the psyche and should pass within a week or two.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:12 pm
Blue Fairy wrote a review...

hehehe

this is really good and its true.
I bet almost everyone feels like that sometimes.
I'm always being kicked off the computer just when i'm about to write
oh well :roll:

good work

Fairy :)

p.s does your first sentence mean you are in a writing mood or not?

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia