Paper Portrait

by chlerity

For her, life was a constant whirlwind of events and actions that were somehow completely interconnected but also disinterested in each other. She didn’t want to be cheesy, but she felt as if no one else’s life had ever been more deserving of the common metaphor, “life is a roller coaster”. And this is why she loved to create reality. She wasn’t an artist. She didn’t combine shapes and lines to create a representation of a present reality. No, she was a writer. With nouns and adjectives, verbs and adverbs, she decorated her paper with vivid portraits and colorful landscapes of worlds she only wished existed. When she wrote, she became separate from the world she was existent in, and present in the reality within her own self. If she felt lonely, she could write a world for herself where loneliness was void. If she wanted adventure and new beginnings, she could pen a story about a girl who traipsed across the globe, experiencing life and living out dreams.

Not only were her creations a way of materializing whimsical fancies and outrageous dreams, they were a way of expressing to the nearest accuracy, aside from within her own head, her emotions and innermost thoughts. She had learned the hard way that wearing your heart on your sleeve was not conducive to having a stable emotional state, and so instead of expressing by word of mouth, she expressed her being by ink and paper. So, when she was feeling butterflies of affection, she wrote down her silent musings and fanciful hopes for relationship. When she was sad, ink and tears combined to form sentences of melancholy rants and tearful exposés. And when she was incandescently happy, and her thoughts were moving at 1000 miles per hour, sometimes all she could manage to write was a simple “…”, because she felt silence was more moving than white noise.

To clarify: she wasn’t some disillusioned nut job who was unsatisfied with where and who she was; she was simply a romantic who was so comfortable with feeling and dreaming that writing simply became a way to share that part of herself. She knew she was blessed in many more ways than one, and she loved the world she was in, a good part of the time. But there was still something within the words she strung together on a page that breathed life into her. When she looked at her hands and saw ink stains and callouses from consistent pen use, pride swelled up inside her. And when she read through her journals and short stories, she was griped with perfect bliss. She loved her writing and she loved to write. A part of her wanted to keep it to herself, because it was her niche, but the rest of her wanted to share it with her friends and family because it was her, and above all else she desired to be genuinely known. And to be genuinely known by anyone, she felt that they would have to read her words, because her written words were like a portrait to her whole being. She painted truthful realities and fake ones, and in the midst of fiction and fact, she wrote herself the same in every story she authored: She was Chloe McLaren and she was an advisor and comforter, a shoulder to cry on and a smile to take in, but above all else she was a writer, who loved what she did.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:58 am
Dracula wrote a review...

If she felt lonely, she could write a world for herself where loneliness was void. If she wanted adventure and new beginnings, she could pen a story about a girl who traipsed across the globe, experiencing life and living out dreams. Yup. Hmm-hmm. Exactly. :) I knew as soon as I read the title that this piece would be relatable, and it absolutely was. Though I'm sure that practically everyone on the Young "Writers" Society will find this relatable.

And when she was incandescently happy, and her thoughts were moving at 1000 miles per hour, sometimes all she could manage to write was a simple “…”, because she felt silence was more moving than white noise. I like the way you've described the simple parts of writing, how silence is sometimes so much more powerful than words could possibly be. One thing I'd suggest, though, is that you shorten both sentences and paragraphs a little bit. Some sentences drag on, so that I almost run out of breath, and your paragraphs are a bit chunky.

And to be genuinely known by anyone, she felt that they would have to read her words, because her written words were like a portrait to her whole being. Even though she writes fiction, those worlds are just as real, are just as much of a portrait as her non-fiction pieces. You make this point well.

Overall, the short story is great! It's so relatable and has so much meaning; a true reflection of your writing self. Just try to split up those paragraphs and shorten some sentences; that'll make it even better.

chlerity says...

Yes, thank you, I'm so glad that this was relatable! Part of this actually started out as a journal entry, so I'm pleased that you picked up on the reflectiveness of it all. But, having lengthy paragraphs is a recurring struggle of mine unfortunatly, so I will address that. Thank you for your recommendations and for reading and reviewing! It is so very helpful and encouraging! Thanks-a-million.

chlerity

Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, Steggy here for a review!

The title of this short story caught my attention and when I was reading this, I felt I could somewhat relate. I liked how you started this off, with a backstory to the person (even though the reader might not know who the she might be; it kinda gives off that mysterious feeling until later, where you mention the girl's name). A big thing I noticed when I was reading was how description you were about this singular girl. When writing a story, I like to think description is the key building blocks towards something grander. It creates images in the reader's head when they read. And you do a nice job at doing it. ^^

Though I do like the description, there is too much of it. Or, it over explaining this girl, which can be both a good/bad thing. However, in this short story is on the middle bound. What that means is there could be some lessening of the description, to clear a way for an actual story (unless, of course, this is your story, then ignore what I suggested).

Also, you have big paragraphs, which in this case, doesn't exactly add onto the story. In most cases, big paragraphs can cause boredom for people who just want to know what is happening. As a small suggestion, try shortening down the details to just the important things. That way it'll be a faster read for if someone were to read this. The biggest paragraph is perhaps the last one could use some work being shorten.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this. I felt that this was a beginning of a novel or a character within the novel. As I said the description was very well done. I really hope to see more of your writing in the future.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy

chlerity says...

Thank you for your input! I agree that my paragraphs are fairly long, which is something that I struggle a lot with when writing, so I could definitely re-work that. Also as far as description, that was somewhat the aim of this piece; to be a "paper portrait" of sorts to this girl. The story being the one that is told by the girl's character. I am looking to develop this further, however, so eventually, I will cut some of the description down. Thanks again!!

chlerity

My one true aspiration in life is to make it into the quote gen.
— avianwings47