Apollo 18- The Secret Mission

by chelle934

Apollo 18: Secret Mission

It is known about the original Apollo mission to the moon. The United States however was supposed to send Apollo 18 but due to budget issues, the mission was canceled. Or was it? Beth would discover that a family member had been to the moon, on a mission that was said to never happened. Why was that? Was there a cover up? Was something found that shouldn’t have been found?

It was a normal sunny day in June, when Beth found files about Apollo18 and the secrets it hid. Beth and her mother Jane were helping Beth's grandparents clean out their attic. Although Beth did not want to spend the beginning of her summer cleaning, she knew it was right to help.  They pulled up to the beautiful two story, Greek revival porch around evening time on a warm Friday. Her grandparents greeted them on the porch and welcomed them inside. Walking in Beth was hit with familiar scents of vanilla and cinnamon. The scents brought Beth back to  days where she and her grandma would bake cookies around holidays.  After dinner, everyone sat on the porch and talked to catch up as well as to make a game plan to cleaning the house. Saturday would be cleaning the down stairs, Sunday would be for the upstairs as well as the attic. Monday would be for resting and than Tuesday Beth and her mother would return home.

Saturday morning came and Beth groaned at the thought of having to get up. When Beth went downstairs she found her mother already started. After breakfast Beth began working on the living room. The first day was a fairly easy day, about three boxes were filled and marked for either donation or garbage. Sunday was a more exciting day, when Beth would discover a long time hidden secret of not only her grandfather, but for the United States as well. It was around late afternoon when Beth and her mother had begun cleaning the attic. For Jane it was a lot of memory lane, from old toys to her dress up trunk. The two laughed and played with a variety of items while cleaning. As they were nearing towards the end, Beth saw something in the corner of her eye. Upon discovery it was a small chest in a corner. The chest was made of cedar and medium sized. It seemed to be deliberately put into the corner of the attic. There was nothing blocking the chest nor was anything else close by. Beth opened the chest slowly unsure of what would be in it. Inside were files including a letter from Richard Nixon, a typed instruction letter for her grandfather as well as his fellow astronauts and even his shirts from NASA. 

"Mom come look at this. I found grandpa Louis's papers and clothes from when he was in the space program!"

"That is cool. Oh wow, look even a letter from president Nixon, what does it say?"

The letter read; Dear Mr. Craine, I am writing to formally thank you for your service on the Apollo 18 mission. After careful review, I have decided to destroy the footage because I fear it will be to much for our country to handle right now. I understand the few days you were up on the moon were difficult, but I thank you for pushing through.

Signed President Richard Nixon

"wow" was all Jane and her daughter could say.

"I thought Apollo 18 was canceled" question Beth.

"That is what I was told when I was little.

Beth's mother went downstairs to get lunch started for everyone. Beth stayed in the attic for a few more minutes. As she began to put things back in the trunk, she felt something odd on the bottom. The bottom was a false one and there appeared to be a secret compartment. In the compartment Beth found some photographs as well as some papers.  In the photos one could see three toed prints on the ground, an old spaceship with the Russian flag and more. Looking through the papers, they seemed to hold the harrowing details of what the men in the spaceship had dealt with. Words popped out at Beth such as circled the ship, feeling watched and more.

Beth went down to the dining room where everyone was eating lunch. Shakily Beth pulled out the papers and asked her grandfather about it.

“What is that?” asked grandpa Greg.

“It is papers that describe you and a few other astronauts on the Apollo 18 mission. I thought it was canceled.”

“Oh that” he sighed. “Sit and I shall explain it to you. First however, I would like to apologize to Jane and Louisa. I know that both of you were under the impression that the mission was canceled.”

“It isn’t your fault dear. Yes I thought you were training but I am not mad. This was the country that kept this a secret. And for a good reason I hope” said Louisa.

“I agree with mom. Although I was not born yet, I know that you would never intentionally lie to us.”

Greg nodded his head in understanding and continued with his story.

“ Our main mission was to find out if Russia had actually gotten to the moon first. There were rumors floating around, but no one was sure. So me Craig, Harvey, and Nick were chosen to go up for four days and to document everything. We landed safely and decided to start right away. We walked around the moon near our ship, and before a crater, we had found an abandoned ship. It was identifiable as the Russian ship because of the flag on the inside of the ship. We also found a suit with the Russian symbol on it. There were no signs of the passengers, but it was evident they crash-landed. We video recorded around the ship but found no trace that they perished in the ship. Looking around the crash site we did not see any footprints or traces of blood, anything. Giving up we went to our ship and recorded our findings for day one. On day two Nick woke us up by screaming. Thinking he got hurt we quickly put on our gear and went out of the ship. Nick stopped us from going past the steps leading off our ship. Our ship was surrounded by two-toed footprints. Now we have boots and it is identifiable easily, however, nothing should be able to survive on the moon without oxygen and protective gear. Anyway, we quickly went into the ship and didn’t move. When we got back on earth and were looking over our footage, we saw that Nick had captured something on video. Harvey had captured something as well when he videotaped around the Russian ship. Both men had captured a four-foot grey looking creature. Our nerves were rattled when we zoomed in and saw they only had two toes per foot. We sent everything to President Nixon and well yeah that didn’t end well.”

“That’s the letter I found huh?” asked Beth.

“Correct. He felt that it wasn’t the right move to show the country what we found or to even admit that we had found the Russian ship. So as you read he decided to let our findings remain a secret. My friends and I , however, never forgot what we saw. If we could forget it we would. I just wish that what we found did go public.”

Her grandfather sighed and sat back and closed his eyes. Beth didn’t just see her grandpa Greg, but she saw a man happy to let a long time held secret out. The rest of the visit was Beth and her mom finishing cleaning the house. When they left Beth and her mom were filled with knowledge. Beth also had learned more about her grandfather and her country. Beth spent the rest of her life wondering if the country would ever reveal its secrets about alien life. She also became involved in the history and research of alien abductions, sightings and anything to with aliens.

BlackThorne wrote a review...

1.

It is known about the original Apollo mission to the moon. The United States however was supposed to send Apollo 18 but due to budget issues, the mission was canceled.

this could be broken up better to improve flow.
Example:
The original Apollo missions are well known, and the United States was on course to send Apollo 18. Because of budget issues, though, the mission was cancelled.

2.
Or was it?

this can be broken into another line for more emphasis and drama.

3.
Although Beth did not want to spend the beginning of her summer cleaning, she knew it was right to help. They pulled up to the beautiful two story, Greek revival porch around evening time on a warm Friday. Her grandparents greeted them on the porch and welcomed them inside. Walking in Beth was hit with familiar scents of vanilla and cinnamon. The scents brought Beth back to days where she and her grandma would bake cookies around holidays.

there's a lot of parts like this, but this is just an example. what I mean is these parts are very long and not really important to the story, and should be much more brief.
Example:
They pulled up to the beautiful two story, Greek revival porch around evening time on a warm Friday. The inside had familiar scents of vanilla and cinnamon.

4.
The chest was made of cedar and medium sized. It seemed to be deliberately put into the corner of the attic. There was nothing blocking the chest nor was anything else close by.

this is a wordy way of phrasing. also an object comparison would do better than the generic description of "medium".
Example:
The chest was alone in the corner, of cedar and about the size of a suitcase.

5.
Inside were files including a letter from Richard Nixon, a typed instruction letter for her grandfather as well as his fellow astronauts and even his shirts from NASA.

a more general, visual image would be better storytelling.
Inside were papers and manila folders, and an old NASA uniform.

6.

in general your dialogue isn't really formatted correctly. also this in particular...the "all they could say" thing is a very distant way of telling. try a more direct way.
Example:
"Wow!"
"Cool!"

7.
In the photos one could see three toed prints on the ground, an old spaceship with the Russian flag and more.

"and more" sounds a little strange. something else maybe, or a way of saying they weren't able to view the rest.
Example:
The photos on top showed three-toed footprints and a Russian flag.

8.
“ Our main mission was to find out if Russia had actually gotten to the moon first. There were rumors floating around, but no one was sure...We sent everything to President Nixon and well yeah that didn’t end well.”

this whole thing is just one huge, monotonous block of text, as well as being in a weird tone for a supposed grandfather. try breaking it up to make it more interesting, throw in some gestures or pauses or something.

a few other things:
1. the ending doesn't really add anything to the story. it'd be more effective if you cut it off earlier.
2. the story isn't very interesting, but not because of the predictability, but the way it's presented to us. there's not really any suspense, and the answers to our questions are just kind of dumped in a big boring block.
3. the whole thing is unrealistic. listen, I literally know nothing about US security and whatnot, but even I really raised my eyebrows at such sensitive documents just sitting in someone's attic. maybe do a little research.

sorry this review seems so negative, there's also a lot of things I liked about this story as well, too. the description for them packing was very nice and warm, and the plot about Apollo 18 was intriguing. hope you don't take my criticisms the wrong way :) cheers!

Ram Hood 001 wrote a review...

Thanks. Cool! At the beginning of the reading, I thought it was a real story. Maybe memories, maybe the author - the real grandson of the famous astronaut.
I also love secrets and space science fiction. Dear author, write more. This is an interesting multifaceted topic. There are many secrets in the world. UFO. Area 51. The Bermuda Triangle. Dyatlov Pass. Secret Nazi bases on Antarctica.
There are many secrets, but little serious science fiction on these topics. Maybe the character’s grandfather hides some other secrets? :)
As I said. The beginning is realistic and holds interest.

"Beth spent the rest of her life wondering if the country would ever reveal its secrets about alien life. She also became involved in the history and research of alien abductions, sightings and anything to with aliens". - I think Beth has an interesting life path. If you have another idea, tell the continuation of the story about Beth.
Thanks so much for your story.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:38 pm
missrk.writes says...

This was really interesting! To see a different side to the story of Apollo 18 was fascinating. it's not something I have read about before. I think you really got the idea of the secret being released and making grandpa happy across well. This is nicely written, well done!

chelle934 says...

thank you!

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White