z

Young Writers Society



"Today's Life Saviour"

by charles23mds


“TODAY’S LIFE SAVIOUR”

“Living without technology is like living without air.” It says that how people really need technology in order to survive in their daily situations or lives today. It also says that everyone recognizes the devices he/she carries or sees around him/her; which is probably advanced. It shows how people today are updated in technology especially in terms of mobile phones/cell phones, computers and robots. These three examples of products of technology are like gifts to our lives. They help us in our everyday life or situation for us to save our time, energy and sometimes even money. Technology has a great impact to our life especially today. Therefore, technology had evolved in innovation of the different products of technology such as computer, cell phones or mobile phones and robots.

Computer is a programmable device that can store, retrieve and process data or files that are very important in a certain person’s career, jobs, studies, and daily life. Computers are very important especially on the fields of banking, business, schools, home and hospitals because of its accuracy and ease of use. Desktop computers, Laptop computers or simply Laptop and Mainframe computers are mainly used in those said fields. Desktop computers or simply PC (Personal Computers) is a popular computer system because it is very easy to use and affordable for an individual for their word processing and small application requirements (Types of Computer). A Laptop is a small size computer or a portable computer is operated on batteries (Types of Computer). It is called “Laptop” because of its small size that can be able to sit on your lap. Because of its small size and can be operated on batteries, the user can used the Laptop anywhere and anytime. Mainframe computers are large and expensive computers. The mainframe uses its power in executing many programs concurrently and more powerful because they support more simultaneous programs. Mainframe computers are usually used in banking, airlines and railways (Types of Computer).

A mobile phone or cell phone is a device that can make and receive text messages and telephone calls in a wide geographic area. Today, you can see different types of mobile phones everywhere like iPhone, Galaxy (Samsung Galaxy) and a tablet computer. The iPhone is very familiar and popular nowadays specially for teenagers. The iPhone runs Apple’s iOS mobile operating system or “iPhone OS” that is created by the Apple Inc (iPhone, Par 1.)... The Samsung Galaxy, or simply Galaxy, is made by the famous electronic company, the Samsung Electronics. It is powered by or run as an Android-powered mobile computing device (Samsung Galaxy, Par 1). A tablet computer, or simply tablet, is a wide touchscreen mobile computer and can be familiarized as being larger than any smartphones (Tablet Computer, Par 1). These kinds of gadgets are very helpful and useful because it makes communication very easy and gives us entertainment.

Robot is a mechanical device or virtual agent that can automatically perform its tasks repeatedly that is guided by a computer program or electronic circuitry. Robots have replaced humans in performing repetitive and dangerous and sometimes impossible for humans to do. Pre-programmed robots, Autonomous robots, Tele-operated robots, and Augmenting robots are some examples of robots that assist humans in performing repetitive and dangerous tasks. Pre-programmed robots do not require big control systems to operate successfully because it is operated in a simple controlled environment. These robots can be familiarized in building cars, in terms of industry and in terms of healthcare (Kind of Robots, Par 1). Autonomous robots are operated independently by human and its responsibility to detect the changes in its environment and be able to adapt to it. Some of these robots can be found in terms of industry, labour-saving devices at home and even toys (Kind of Robots, Par 2). Robots that are remotely controlled by a human in certain or huge distance such as underwater and outer space are called Tele-operated robots (Kind of Robots, Par 3). Augmenting robots are connected to the user’s body and can enhance the user’s natural ability or give them a skill that they don’t have (Kind of Robots, Par 4).

Technology has always there for us every day and gives us the power to support our growing needs and wants in order to survive in our everyday life and situation. Technology supports us in different fields like in work, transportation, communication, medical purposes, at home and entertainment. Because of the rapid growing of the products of technology, some people tend to depend on the technology itself. There are different kinds, types, or examples of products of technology that made our lives simple. The simpler the work is, the more we get dependent. Computers, mobile phones and robots today are ubiquitous. Innovation on technology is not bad; it helps us a lot in our daily life and situation.

Charles Matthew D. Soriano

BS ECE - T1B

De La Salle Lipa

References

Types of Computer (n.d.). Computer Basics for Beginners. Retrieved from http://www.computerbasicsguide.com/basics/types.html

iPhone (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

Samsung Galaxy (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy

Tablet computer (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_computer

Kind of Robots (n.d.). CCSI. Retrieved from http://www.mind.ilstu.edu/curriculum/medical_robotics/kinds_of_robots.php


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
163 Reviews


Points: 5016
Reviews: 163

Donate
Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:26 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...



Sorry for contradicting you, but the information and opinions you've stated in this article hold little authenticity. It is completely untrue that ''living without technology is like living without air''. What about the people who lived in previous centuries, then? What about mankind who has survived thousands of years without the the faintest trace of TECHNOLOGY to sustain them? Technology has only surfaces since the last century or so, and that we cannot live without it is a wrong paradigm most of today's minds have formed. It may not even be DIFFICULT to live without technology, because people lived lives before us, didn't they? Nobles and kings lived without modern gadgets and contraptions, and THEY thought they were living most comfortably. It is just society that has drilled the idea in our heads (and we have chosen to believe it) that technology is one of life's essentials.


Once again, I don't mean any offence to you. I just said what I thought. (Please think about it,though)

Keep writing.

Mist




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:19 pm
JioPaolo says...



Nice essay. Keep it up!




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:50 pm
Igneel says...



What a spectacular essay. Great job!




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:33 pm
spade32 says...



Good Job!! I like the title and the essay of course.




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:23 pm
MarkAtienza says...



Nice essay, Like it




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:21 pm
NatsuDragneel says...



Your topic is very interesting. The content is excellent. Nice job. Keep it up. :D




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:52 pm
marcial says...



pretty good!:)




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:38 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



Hey there! Welcome to YWS, and good luck with the results of this final project! I'm going to try to give you some advice for future essays so you can apply it and be more successful as you move forward~

First, I know that you received your topic from your teacher, so it probably seemed like there wasn't a lot you could do to write about something more comfortable to you, right? But you can always tailor the direction of your essay while still covering the same topics. For example, you were meant to cover technology as it relates to computers, phones, and robots, right? The problem is that most people already know what a computer, phone, and robot are. Defining these terms and listing their types doesn't provide your reader with new information, which means your essay ends up not very engaging.

What you could have done to improve this would be to have made a specific thesis in regards to these three categories. You might have written an essay about which type of technology is most pervasive and how it came to be that way. You might have written an essay about which type of technology has seen the most progress over time, or which one has developed the most quickly. These threads give your essay a purpose beyond defining common terms, and give you a reason to bring in new information that your readers might not have known.

You can do this with most any assignment, and since this technique generally ends up narrowing how much information you have to cover, you usually end up with a stronger, tighter essay and better grades! haha

The other thing I want to mention is a technique called paraphrasing. This is where you take information from a source and restate it in your own words to avoid plagiarism (copying another person's work and not giving credit so it appears the work is yours). You can see some hints on how to do this by clicking on this link.

I recommend you study that link especially because of the latter half of your robot paragraph, where every sentence is cited. We like citations. They give credit where credit is due, but if your entire essay is cited, why not just send those readers to the original sources, right? So we read lots about the topic, learn the information, and then spit it out in our own original words OR we learn to paraphrase in general, and then cite.

I hope this was helpful for you! Once more, good luck with your project.
If you have any questions, let me know. I hope to see you around again soon!




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 1619
Reviews: 15

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:32 pm
kedjil wrote a review...



“Living without technology is like living without air.” - Your hook is catchy and I agree with it.

"It says that how people really need technology in order to survive in their daily situations or lives today." - You may reword the "really need" to make it stronger and leave an impact to your readers.

You can add more transitional devices in your introduction to convey a smooth flow of ideas. Also, you may organize your thoughts in the first paragraph.

The body is, indeed, very informative. You can add more research to make it more factual.

"Technology has always there for us every day and gives us the power to support our growing needs and wants in order to survive in our everyday life and situation. " - Check the parallelism of this sentence.

"The simpler the work is, the more we get dependent." - I think, this is not that relevant. You can remove it if you want.

Overall, the content is good, the topic is interesting, and the ideas are comprehensive. Good job, keep up the good work!




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:23 pm
Raymund says...



great essay and nevertheless good essay :D




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:43 am
KayleMission says...



“Living without technology is like living without air.”-your hook really makes me curious that made me want to read your article. It made me wonder, what would be our lives now if technology was not invented.

Although, in my opinion, you should use more transitional devises in order to make your article more effective. Still, it's a very good essay! :) Keep up the good work!




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:35 am
johnemmanuel says...



Nice Essay! keep up the good work. just some minor corrections but still job well done! :)




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 am
alperdeguzman44 says...



simple but nice!




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 am
Rodemar says...



nice essay, your topic was so interesting.




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 pm
kingteejay8 says...



I love it. You've made an excellent essay. Job well done. :D




User avatar


Points: 357
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm
shielamendoza says...



Informative and good one :)




User avatar


Points: 368
Reviews: 3

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:46 pm
ValenciaAndrea wrote a review...



Maybe technology helps a lot but you can survive without technology. The essay you've done was great but some little corrections. But in all it is nice and interesting.




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm
kriselleabby says...



You have a point on your essay. Keep up the good work! :D




Random avatar

Points: 315
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 am
Euclarkie says...



Very well said. Nice article huh, keep up the good work. :D




User avatar


Points: 378
Reviews: 1

Donate

User avatar


Points: 475
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:16 pm
AiraPatricia says...



Title is catchy. :) Very nice essay, Mr. Charles. :)




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:50 pm
Raph says...



Your title caught my attention




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:43 pm
JiroYonaha says...



I agree with your work. Keep this intelligent work coming.




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:23 pm



It's a good essay. You can develop it more by including more of your ideas :)




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 810
Reviews: 14

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:20 pm
nadinefampo wrote a review...



I strongly agree with you. Technology brought a big change in our way of living. And now that it is continuously improving, we are already depending on it.




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:17 pm
Raymund says...



a good essay indeed, keep it up.





It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief