Untitled

by certainromances.

This is just one of the chapter that I was working on, but never finished ><

--

A small hand rose up from underneath the stone picnic table and tried to make its way to the open pink box, only for it to be stopped by another hand.

My hand.

I swatted Sam’s hand away and gave her a stern look. “Don’t touch it. We don’t know if it’s edible, so let’s just wait for Jack to arrive and find out, okay?”

Sam pouted. “Ugh, I don’t know how you can do that. Blueberry muffins are your favorite, I would’ve chomped it down already,” she said, twirling a strand of her sandy colored hair.

“You have no idea how much I’m suffering right now,” I said, my eyes fixated on the perfectly made muffin. When I took it out of my locker it was still warm. At that moment I could actually smell its delicious aroma, and my mouth started to water.

Where the hell was Jack?

“There he is. Took ya long enough,” she said, pointing at the tall, lanky figure approaching us. His jet black hair was neatly combed to the side and his fashionable thick rimmed glasses were sitting comfortably on the bridge of his nose.

“Hey guys,” he spoke meekly. He sat down next to Sam and adjusted his glasses. “What’s up with the muffin?” he asked nodding at it.

“Well,” I started folding my hands together. “Would you-“but Sam cut me off. “Emily wants you to take a bite, and if you don’t drop dead on the ground I’m allowed to take a few bites as well, so chop-chop!” she ushered.

I grimaced. “Thanks for being so subtle, Sam. Really, if I need to tell someone to go fuck off, you’ll be the first one I call.”

I turned to Jack. “So are you going to take a bite or what?” I asked.

He chuckled at first but, when I didn’t speak he shook his head frantically, making it clear that he would not risk his life for us.

“Oh come on, don’t be such a pansy, Jack. Man up and take a bite,” Sam said.

“If I’m such a pansy, why don’t you take a bite?” He countered.

I got up from my seat, biting my lower lip. The sound of those two bickering was absolutely horrible. Samantha would speak at a ridiculous speed, making her voice almost sound like a mouse, and Jack would squeak every now and then, obviously showing that he was still going through puberty.

This is ridiculous; we're all scared of a muffin. What’s the worst thing that could happen? I nodded curtly to myself and turned around back to the table, smacking my hands down and making them stop bickering.

“You know what? Let’s all going to take a bite.”

Sam’s face lit up like she had never eaten a muffin before, and a nervous squeak emitted from Jack’s lips.

I lifted up the muffin from its box. Just as I was about to divide it, I noticed the small glaze stars on the edge of the muffin. So this was the personalization he/she meant.

I stared at it for a few seconds before the whiny voice of Sam made me continue again. I divided it with my hands, giving each of them a pile of muffin crumbles in their palms. I eyed them both and then nodded. “Eat.”

Sam immediately threw the crumbs in her mouth so all Jack and I had to do was wait and see if something would happen. She chewed slowly and then swallowed. She then let out a moan of satisfaction. With her eyes closed she spoke, “I hope your secret admirer keeps giving you those muffins, ‘cause this is absolutely delicious!” Her eyes popped open and her gaze immediately went to my pile of crumbs. Almost reluctantly, I gave them up. After all, blueberry muffins were my favorite.

I placed my elbows on the table and let my head rest in the palm of my hand. Jack was carefully picking up the crumbs and chewed slowly, probably trying to savor the taste of the blueberry muffin whereas Sam just threw them in her mouth and chewed hastily.

“So Emily, what are you going to do about the whole Noah-Alex thing?”

I sighed at the sound of his name--of their names. “I’m going to tell him today, that’s for sure. I just really hope that we remain as friends. I mean, you know how he can be at times.”

Sam wiped her mouth clean. “Yeah, I know he turns into a bipolar asshole sometimes.” She lifted her bag from the ground and began rummaging through it. She pulled out her mobile phone. “Oh, by the way, he asked me to show you this.” She pushed a few buttons and turned it around, showing me the screen. It was a text message from Noah.

"Sam, you didn’t tell me that Emily changed her cell.

Anyway, could you tell her to wait for me at the parking lot, I’ll bring her home.

Thanks."

“I suggest you tell him then, before it’s too late,” she said, closing the phone and pocketing it. She checked her watch and cursed.

“Jack we need hurry up and go to chemistry. Bye Emily,” she stood up from the table, pulling Jack along with her. “Go get ‘em, sport!” he said.

I groaned. “Thanks.”

While they were walking away I could her Sam scolding him about his little comment. With a heavy heart I picked up my bag and started walking to schools parking lot.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:35 am
Monstrar says...

I like this story and your writing style. They're both really great. =] I hope you write more, though because I don't really like cliff hangers all too well, and I don't think most people do, either. Ha ha.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:21 pm
pudin.junidf wrote a review...

Hi! i really liked the story, is very interesting and fun. I loved the characters. They were different but they somehow complemented each other, i mean sam is allperky while Jack is kind of layed down and nerdy (I imagine him a little bit nerdy,lol). But I'd like to know more about emily since she is the principal character and the one narrating the story. I like how you make it sound like a normal teenager conversation (like the ones i have with my friend)talking about crushes, secret admirers, etc, etc. there are a few mistakes in the grammar, like punctuations, commas. I hope you keep writing about this because i want to know more. I imagined every bit of the story, but it would have helped me a little if I knew a bit about the background (I suppose the picnic table was outside. lol, picnic tables are meant to be outside).

"

Sam, you didn’t tell me that Emily changed her cell.

Thanks."

I got a little confused in this part,I didn't know if it was part of the dialogue they were having.

This is ridiculous; we're all scared of a muffin. What’s the worst thing that could happen?

I really liked this part. :lol:

I think that Sam's part should be separated because it's a little bit confusing.
But besides that, everything was great and i love the characters, very creative
plz, keep writing!!!!!!!
Pudin.juni

Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:32 pm
Stripes wrote a review...

Hello! As I said to Mr. Knightley, I'm sorry it took so long to get to this--I've had kind of a crazy few days. It looks like most of what I would have said has already been said by now, but here goes.

I second Mr. Knightley's comment about the punctuation. Tend to your commas and dialogue tags and this story will come out sounding much more professional. I try to avoid clogging forums with intense grammar Nazi blitzes, but if you'd like me to do a grammar work-up to explain what I mean, just PM me and I'll be happy to oblige.

As YA romance goes, I found this quite compelling. I have to confess that this genre isn't usually my cup of tea, but the characters look well developed and it seems like you've got a good story in mind. Your dialogue rarely feels forced or put-on--which is more than I can say for mine, especially when I was your age! :roll: Overall, I'd say you're going strong. Well done.

~Stripes

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:14 pm

I truly appreciate all the reviews :]

An idea just sprung me and now I'm so excited to get started, so I'd just like to say thanks to each and everyone of you. I used to think that this story was a lost cause. Hopefully I will be able to write chapters from what just hit me.

EllyMelly:I didn't intend on posting this chapter, but I had to post something for a competition thing I was in, so that's why it's so unfinished. I do agree with you on the whole bipolar thing. Writers should never use a disease when they haven't fully researched it and understand it completely. I wrote this when I just turned 14 and thought that using big words was a way to make my writing stronger x_x.

About the text message; half of my friends don't even type their message in chat speak because that actually takes longer than just writing them normally xD.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:16 pm
*writewatiwant* wrote a review...

Heya Steph <-- mind if I call ya that? :) Kat's here to review this!

Nit-piks:

When I took it out of my locker it was still warm.

I think a comma after 'locker' would rock ;)

I think that as you switched from Emily's line to Sam' you should make it a new pharagraph, right after' ...cut me off."

There's nothing wrong with this sentence, but I just wanted to point out the 'fuck off'. Since it has the f-word, you have to edit your post and rate it as R. Okay?

This is ridiculous; we're all scared of a muffin.

That had me cracking up =D

Tense alert! This should be: 'Let's all take a bite.' ;)

Sam immediately threw the crumbs in her mouth so all Jack and I had to do was wait and see if something would happen. She chewed slowly and then swallowed. She then let out a moan of satisfaction.

I have two suggestions on this one, if you don't mind. I suggest you change 'in her mouth' to 'into her mouth'. And second, I suggest you connect the last two lines, as in something like: 'She chewed slowly and then swallowed, letting out a moan of satisfaction.

Thanks."

I suggest you put this in italics, since it's the text message.

Right here, the first paragraph isn't needed, but you should start a new one for Jack's line.

A comma after 'away' would also rock. And I believe you have a typo *does typo announcing sound* I believe you meant 'her' to be 'hear'. Comma after 'heart'.

Characters!
Zomg, I loved Sam and Jack! Jack was shaky, while Sam was energetic and impatient. They both made me laugh!
Now, Emily has a bit more of a problem. I can't see much of her.
For example:
Almost reluctantly, I gave them up. After all, blueberry muffins were my favorite.

Why would she give them up? Blueberry muffins were her favorite, so why giving them away? If you explained this, put more of her feelings and thoughts into this, I think Emily would be a great character. By now, Sam is my favorite, because she's the one I can see most off, the most real and the one I can relate to the most.
Also, you put some characters in, like Noah and Alex, which we don't know anything about! We can see Emily was trying to avoid Noah, since she didn't told him she changed her cellphone number, but who's Alex?

Description and Imagery
You were okay in this, though I believe you could have done a much better work! If you describe their surroundigs a bit more, the smells, how everything made them feel, it would be great ;)

Plot
I found it quite an interesting beginning. A funny one, even. By reading this, I want to read more, so please PM me if you post any more chapters!

*Kat*

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:47 pm
Mr.Knightley wrote a review...

Hi! I don't normally review romance, but I'll give it my best.

Punctuation

I found a few of spelling and punctuation marks throughout. Nothing big, but it can tend to be a little tiresome after the first couple times.

Clarity

I got very confused as to what was happening at first. I was wondering what this story had to do with a blueberry muffin, and who these two girls were. The story starts off with them sitting... somewhere. I had to figure out for myself where they were, and what they were doing. I would suggest that before you even start writing, picture in your head where you want the story to take place. Then, make sure you are conveying it properly into words. That way, the reader can tell exactly what you are trying to say. I don't mean that I had absolutely no idea what was going on, but I did have to fill in some blank spaces, if you take my meaning.

Plot

The plot was creative. This girl finding a muffin from her secret admirer made me laugh. Whenever I imagine secret admirers, I think of roses and giant boxes chocolates. But never would I expect this kind of gift. :) :lol: Good work pulling off these girls moods, too. I knew from the start what kind of personalities they both had. :)

I liked your story much more than I would expect. I never read romance, but that's not what it felt like I was reading at all. In a way, it was humorous, especially the dialogue. The only 'major' issue I could see was the clarity of this work, and that was not much. Then again, I don't really know what you were trying to pull off with this story. You might have pulled off what you intended exactly. Keep up the good work, and keep throwing those curveballs, like the blueberry muffin! :D

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:08 pm
SpencerNolanRivers wrote a review...

I didn't find many errors that were too bad, so well done. I love this story so far, and how everything isn't boldly stated in the beginning; I like finding out while I read. This has to be one of the shortest critiques I've done. I feel like a failure xD.

Please post the next part to this soon.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:45 pm
EllyMelly wrote a review...

Good Morning Certain Romances.

I swatted Sam’s hand away and gave her a stern look.

The word swatted doesn't wok for me, here. Try smacked. Because swatted seems more past tense then present. But, that's just me.

she said, twirling a strand of her sandy colored hair.

Besides Sam having sandy colored hair, what else? What does she like to wear, or what is she wearing? Try adding simple things to Sam to brighten her up a little.

Where the hell was Jack?

Is this a thought? Because if it was, wouldn't it be italicized?

Okay, here's something I don't like. I read up to here, then all of a sudden, here's the F word. I'm not huge for swearing (and that word just bluntly came) but this is your story.

Sam wiped her mouth clean. “Yeah, I know he turns into a bipolar asshole sometimes.”

I'm sorry, but I really took offense of what Sam said. Not all bipolar people are, you know, assholes. And for a matter of fact, I know some people who are bipolar, and they aren't all crazy like some people put them out to be.

Thanks."

This is a fairly long text message. Wouldn't they be like short?

Well, this is all I could find. I don't know if this was a short story with a cliffhanger or a novel. If it is a novel, then I write more to this. I'm sure readers don't like cliffhangers.

Melly

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin