z

Young Writers Society



Ill Met By Moonlight, by Sarah A. Hoyt

by bubblewrapped


"Ill Met By Moonlight" is the first in a series of fantastic books by Sarah A. Hoyt detailing the life of one William Shakespeare and his contact with the world of the faery. Born a poor glover's son, Will is scarcely the sort of man one would imagine as a poet, let alone the greatest author in history; married at nineteen, now with an infant daughter, he is a dedicated husband and father, and works for meager pay as a petty schoolmaster in a nearby town. Or, he did - until the day that his wife, Nan, and his daughter, Susannah, disappeared. Desperate to recover his beloved family, Will must now seek out the hill people, who live in the nearby forest, and rescue his loved ones from a corrupt King, in the process earning the love of a faery of royal blood and becoming entangled in a daring plot for vengeance.

Summary:

SCENE: A world not of this world, but in it - where a transparent palace hangs suspended in midair and tiny fairies twinkle here and there...where a traitorous king holds court before elven lords and ladies...and where fantastical tragedies and capricious romances reach out and entangle mortal souls...

ENTER: William Shakespeare

(courtesy of http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0441009832/ref=sib_rdr_bc/102-2186227-6392140?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S08K#reader-page at Amazon.com)

This is an original and beautiful novel, as well as intriguing speculation on the origin of Shakespeares' "dark lady". Using plots, quotes and situations found in many of Shakespeare's best-loved plays, "Ill Met By Moonlight" weaves an incredible tale of two worlds that intertwine only briefly, and usually with disastrous consequences for all involved. Hoyt creates vivid characters and deep, moving conflicts, breathing life into the 'lost years' of one of the world's greatest authors and adding new insight into the possible sources of the Bard's inspiration. Definitely a must-read for lovers of Fantasy or Shakespeare who are over thirteen.

For those who have read and enjoyed this book, it is followed by "All Night Awake" and "Any Man So Daring".

My rating: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: out of 5


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
565 Reviews


Points: 1395
Reviews: 565

Donate
Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:06 pm
View Likes
Stori says...



Cool! Is it based on a real story? I want to read it!!




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 241

Donate
Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:02 am
View Likes



ooh! this sounds really good! i'll have to check it out!

and gyrfalcon, LOVE the song in your signature...




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:10 pm
View Likes
Twit says...



Why the emphasis on "over thirteen"?




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:00 pm
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...



Ooo! I must check this out, espeically as I just played Titania in a production of MSND (that's MidSummer Night's Dream, sorry).




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:35 pm
Rydia says...



Doesn't really sound like my sort of book but I know a friend who would love it.





Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White