The mental paitent (revised)

by bluecows

Changed it a bit, but I think the reson why she's been carted away is a bit to obvious.

Well anyway, tell me what you think, thanks.

~blue~

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello?

Hello, are you- are you real?

Oh thank goodness, I was starting to think i was going mad or something, seeing people and all that.

That happens to people you know, when they spend too much time in the sun.

It's always bright around here, lovely weather and all that.

Actually, I wanted to be moved to heaven but they told me I couldn't go. Gave me funny looks to. They obviously haven't heard that song, 'heaven is a place on earth'.

I moved here after I was fired from my job, I had to take time off work to look after my daughter and

they wouldn'd believe me.

Do you really have a daughter, they kept saying. I mean really! Like I wouldn't know!

But the people are nice here, plus it hardly ever rains. My daughter loved the rain, used to splash in the puddles,

you know how little girls are!

She lives in Australia, you know. Had to escape from the British weather, she said, leave all her problems behind

and all that.

Did you know how much it costs to go to Australia? They wouldn't let us go without a blood donation but you got a free stop over in heaven, so if you look at it that way, it was value for money.

I mean, I thought she would stay if I took the time off work to help her she would stay, but she didn't.

Ungreatful cow, used to cry when I told her to stop jumping in the puddles.

But she stopped doing that yesterday, grew up.

No, that was years ago, oh I can't remember.

Doesn't matter.

See, I sent my daughter on the way to Australia, it was just a little cut on the wrist, it would heal.

I was about to join her when the police came (evil buggers).

I told them that I had sent her Australia and I had to join her quickly if I wasn't going to miss my filght.

They just looked at me funny, jelousey, that's what.

Santa, is the code name for satan, only they don't know I've figured it out.

And you can't tell them, or they'll come after you like they came after my daughter.

Where was I? Oh yeah, I was telling you about how I quit my job to look after my daughter, just marched in I did, told 'em they could stuff their job and that was that.

They didn't see that one coming.

Well, now I live here. The decore is cool, all in white, real minamilist and all that.

I moved here after people kept asking if I had a daughter, she was in some sort of trouble, couldn't say what so she just

moved to Austrailia. And the NHS put my under the witness protection scheme.

Bet you didn't know they did witness protection schemes. But they do.

I heard them whispering about how I was found by myself in my flat, about to commit suicide.

Daft, huh? Yeah, that's what I thought but then I realised that they couldn't know the real story. That's why I'm under the witness protection act in the first place, so people don't know.

Gave me this new flat, it's really cool.

Plus white wards off evil. Thats why the police don't come here, they can't stand the colour white.

And the walls are really soft, they padded them specially, to stop me getting hurt they said.

Well, that's what they said but I know the real reason. The walls are bullet proof, arn't they?

I'm too clever for them, just like how I figured out the secret about the police.

Took my daughter to the police you see, they were in the shopping mall and they would give you presants and ask what you want for christmas.

Only, I didn't know they were they police back then, not many people did, not even now.

I can tell you don't, you look surprised.

You see, the police are evil. They work for santa.

I talk to my daughter sometimes, they tell me she's not really here. Well, obviously, I use a phone, but they don't

believe me. They keep saying that my daughters not real. Stupid huh?!

That's like them saying that heaven isn't real, just 'cos they haven't been there. It obviously exsits or they wouldn't sing songs about it.

Doesn't matter. They'll be coming in a second, to check on me, so you can tell them for me.

You will tell them won't you?

Won't you?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:04 am
keystrings wrote a review...

Hello there.

Popping in to give you a review that must have missed the train all those years ago.

First off, I think that the formatting, or maybe lack of it, is taking away from this story. The constant new paragraphs made me think this person was talking with another fellow, but I realized that wasn't the case when the first speaker spoke of her daughter. I would love to condense at least some of these sentences just to let this actually flow and not just leave lines half-finished before skipping a whole part and then continuing. In poetry, I think that flow works better, and if this was closer to prose, then I'd be interested in that twist, but not here.

Continuing on, I think there are almost too many signs of the speaker being mentally unstable, for lack of better words. With the start of "are you real" being projected to the reader, and I'm assuming another patient, already starts us down this path. I think with that sentence, maybe you could have us delve into this woman's mind past the dialogue that we can only hear. The bit about white walls established a hint of setting, and I know that this is meant to depict a hospital, but I still more details would be nice.

Some ideas consist of putting this more in third-person, and maybe even allow for the reader to look around the place and see if they are alone with this mad woman, or if there are workers nearby. Maybe the other person takes a breath to calm themselves, as they were in here as a fellow worker as well. Or they could be a patient, too. I just think that to add to this, you could add in more information on everything.

Overall, I think that this idea is a little worn-down, especially with the way they turn to paranoia and the symptoms they show could still be a wide variety of disorders affecting her, or even a combination of them.

That's all I've got for now.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:33 am

I liked this, it's easy to read which is always a good thing to achieve when you're writing from the perspective of crazy people (they have a tendency to be confusing...). Apart from some minor spelling errors, nothing to fix. Lovely Piece.

bcain says...

I like it too. It's a little obvious why she got sent here, but if she thinks what she did was ok, then it's understandable that she'd talk about it. Good work.

Sam says...

I didn't read the other part of it, so I don't have anything to compare this to, but I did think it was really well done. This person seems so innocent, somehow, even though she talks about all the things she's done...

Emma wrote a review...

Wow, its almost the same. Though you have to cut down on sending all of these stories in the one go, other people aren't getting anything said about them, as new stuff keeps on coming up. Its good work though :D

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables