Red-Thread Doll

by artemis15sc

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Her legs burned in protest as she forced them stiffly forward, but she couldn't stop now, she had to see. Her hands brushed over the rough wool to the soft hair like angel wings before finally finding the stitch that held them together. She caressed it. It was strange that something so simple had transferred her pain to him. Of course there had been more stitches. The hands used for caressing, the eyes used for gazing, the lips whispering "I love you," before they touched hers, the heart she could feel underneath her fingertips.

She stumbled, and her hand slipped off the doll. The house was around the next street, she remembered though she had not been there in some time. She could hear voices. They were already there, she had to hurry. Air lacerated it's way up and down her throat by the time she arrived, but it didn't matter. She'd made it. They were bringing him out now.

The body was covered in a sheet, which was no good. She took out the doll, or the pieces more rather. The arms fell off first, bouncing off the cobbled street, the same way she had when he'd thrown her out. His head came next. The eyes and lips were shown shut, but that hadn't stopped them from bursting through his skull like some twisted jack in the box. His eyes would look and no other woman's, his lips scream that she was a whore and lying scum no more. And finally his heart, bloodied and broken from being torn out of his chest. This is what she'd wanted to see most of all, his heart finally matching her own.

The medics scrambled to reassemble his dismembered remains, but she wasn't watching. Something warm and sticky was trickling down her face. Her fingers swiped underneath her nostril. Her eyes were glazed as she stared at her own blood. The end was coming faster than she imagined. Slowly her hand reached into her pocket for the doll, while the other reached for the needle. Fate demanded a hefty price for the dark magic she conjured, but she was prepared to pay it. Just not in the way fate intended.

The doll fell from her hand as she collapsed, a needle in it's chest.

Both doll and girl were smiling as they lay dead in the street.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:08 am
TheSilverFox wrote a review...

Goodness; for flash fiction, this is quite vivid. o-o

Nicely done, artemis15sc! I'm impressed by how you could communicate so much in so few words. What began as a slightly creepy scene, which provided enough details to leave the reader wary of what is about to happen, but not so much as to leave the reader guessing accurately about future events in the story, quickly turned in a gruesome, but vivid and amazing, scene, and I love it. Obviously, this guy picked the wrong person to call rude names, and be basically a horrible jerk to. Beyond that, due to the plot of the story, I'm fascinated by, in just 400-500 words, you were able to describe the general relationship between the former couple so vividly, and the dramatic way that the girl first takes revenge, with what I assume is dark magic, and then murders herself afterwards. This story is clear, the details here are vivid, and I can envision everything. I can see the way that she caresses her doll, the way she takes out the pieces of the broken doll, and see the dismembered remains of what had once been her lover. This story is a flash fiction masterpiece, an excellent composition of a shocking plot event, amazing details that displayed the scene clearly, and highlighted the central conflict of the story in such an apparent manner. Great job!

I would like to, however, point out a couple of errors in the story:

Her legs burned in protest as she forced them stiffly forward, but she couldn't stop now, she had to see.

In this case, when you're connecting two independent clauses, you should connect them with a semicolon, in the event that you have not already used something else or have not included a conjunction with the comma. Therefore, please place a semicolon between "now" and "she," in place of the comma already there.

soft hair like angel wings

Insert a dash between "hair" and "like."

The house was around the next street, she remembered though she had not been there in some time.

Insert a comma after the word "remembered."

They were already there, she had to hurry.

Once again, remember what I said about connecting two independent clauses; replace the comma with a semicolon.

His eyes would look and no other woman's, his lips scream that she was a whore and lying scum no more.

I assume that you meant "at," not "and," correct?

Nonetheless, I loved this story. It was concise, it was vivid, and it was intense. It's not too often that I see a horror story so masterfully composed as this is, and I'm deeply impressed. I enjoyed reading this from start to finish, and I like this dramatic scene of revenge that you have composed. Great job! :D

artemis15sc says...

Thanks so much!

Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:11 am
chhlovebooks says...

Gugvuykcitydugkvugcyutd6tfuictityc!!!! Sorry, this stupid tablet posts everything twice!

Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:11 am
chhlovebooks wrote a review...

Dear artemis15sc, I must say your story here is very good, especially if this is your first time writing this sort of thing. Sorry if my review sucks. However, there are a few errors with your story. First off, just saying, I am not entirely familiar with what this "red thread" business is, so if my comments are terrible, please forgive me. One thing you could do for your story is include a note or something talking about what kind of black magic she is doing. You are very good at providing hints at what kind of magic she did, and what the spell did, and your way of not giving the whole picture has an allure to it. However, and this just be my opinion, it would be nice if you dropped a few more hints. You have other errors as well. "The eyes and lips were shown shut..." In this sentence, I think you mean sewn instead of shown. His eyes would look, and no other woman's, his lips scream she was a whore and lying crum no more." Here, I think you most likely skipped a word or two, as "His eyes would look, and no other woman's..." makes very little sense. The second half of the sentence, I think you should use a different adjective instead of "wh*re". The rhyme kind of lessens the effectiveness of the sentence. One last thing, I think you should probably clarify whether or not she killed him because he was being unfaithful, or she killed him because she didn't want to give him the chance to be unfaithful. I am sorry if I nitpicked a little...oops! :( Anyway, overall, I really like this story. You use tone excellently, and have created a masterfully spooky story! Please keep writing, and best of luck!

artemis15sc says...

Thanks so much. This is very helpful. xD

steampowered wrote a review...

Hello, steampowered here for a review! Considering that this is a flash fiction, I was seriously impressed. I don’t think I’ve read any of your work before, but if these are the kinds of ideas and quality you come up with in a short space of time, I’ll definitely have to check out some of your other stories! :D

I really like the dark atmosphere of this piece, and I also like the way in which you never refer to the main character by name. I feel like her anonymity definitely makes her a more sinister character…

I felt like this was quite ambiguous in some places, and I’m not sure if this was deliberate (due to the dark atmosphere of the piece) or if it was purely because you were writing this in a hurry. I got a little bit confused with regards to the doll and couldn’t quite make out what was going on. I feel like there’s some kind of voodoo magic going on, but I wasn’t sure why the medics were hurriedly trying to reassemble the dismembered remains of what I assume is a human body, as this surely isn’t possible… or is it a doll they’re trying to resurrect?

were shown shut

Shouldn’t this be “sewn shut”?

The only other criticism I have is your use of “it’s” when it should be “its”. It’s is a contraction of “it is” whereas its without the apostrophe is a possessive pronoun, much like his or hers. Just something to bear in mind. :)

Other than that, you created a very interesting character, and an interesting backstory for her and her deceased lover. Sorry this review was so short, but hopefully it was still of some use to you. Keep writing! :D

artemis15sc says...

Thanks so much. Mostly I have to keep this under 500 words, so I rushed things in a few places... you're review was super helpful so thanks so much. Feel free to tell me if there's something I could review to return the favor. xD

Perhaps the real rickroll was the friends we made along the way
— GengarIsBestBoy