12+

Man on Fire

by artemis15sc

The flames look white.

Everything is white.

The part of his face exposed to the camera glistens

Like he’s being bathed in sunlight.

The Monks around him are dressed in white too

Like angels waiting to greet him on the other side

One man stands in front of the rest

His face is hidden by smoke, but he wears the same white cloak

Perhaps he was one of the ones that doused the monk in gasoline

The monk is sitting with his legs crossed, like he’s meditating

Meditation makes you one with earth

And soon he will be, at least so I like to think

One man in the corner is walking away

Like he doesn’t notice the man on fire, or maybe he has more important things to do

Behind the man is the car, with its hood propped up

Like someone was just getting around to fixing it.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:13 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hello Artemis,

You did a really good job capturing the image you were trying to portray. I feel like if I googled monk on fire, I'd be able to actually find the exact picture you're talking about. That's really a huge step in the right direction. I'm very happy that you're already there, be proud ^^ It takes a lot of time to get that.

You're also working with a subject that's going to give you a lot of ammo when you want it. That being said, I don't think you do quite enough to really jab at the heartstrings with this picture. Instead of just talking about the picture, use the connotations of words, the hidden meanings of them if you will, to really poke at the ideas and emotions of the person reading the poem. For instance, instead of just saying "white" cloak, maybe the first time you say it, add pure or innocent. It's an adjective yes, but it's going to give you a different feel than just having blunt white. This, of course, is up to you because depending on how you want to write your poetry this could be bad advice.

A better example of making your words work for you might be "hunches off to the side" or "postures" even. The more you add in words like this, the better this poem is going to get because the more work each word is going to do on it's own. You could use "strolling" for instance, instead of walking, and that's going to give the poem a whole new feel to it.

I think the more that you utilize the words like that, the more emotional you can make the reader because that's where the power is and you've mastered descriptions enough that now you can start fine-tuning the words you use to describe.

Aley

Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, I'm here to review! :D

Okay, this poem describes an event of a monk burning himself. While imageries can make the scene powerful and able to grip readers' emotions, a meaning to it is crucial as well. You lack both aspects of it. Poem is not just using few words to convey large messages. It's about choosing words carefully and making sure each one of them gives a powerful impact to the reader. In short, its about beauty in stanzas, lines, and phrases.

Did I say about stanzas? Yeah, you should have them. Break this into stanzas. While I'm sure all of these merge as a single event, the event itself is told in many layers and processes. First would be the monk's state. Second would be the other monks surrounding him. Third would be the people watching him. Fourth - and this is optional and can be efficient - is the surrounding atmosphere.

I looked up this information about the monk and found out it was an act of protest to the persecutions of Buddhists. See, this act conveys a deep meaning to it. Given the poem, someone that has no knowledge about this event and the story behind it would not get why it's so important to be captured in poetry other than it's unusual to have someone burning himself. Put in the reason to make this poem more meaningful.

Lastly, a bit of suggestions on how to twist the words around:

White flames demand attention -
on what it has done to a person.
Others turn white too, receiving its impact.
The man in it has a part of his face shown to the camera.
His eyes glistened, the movement of the flame dancing on him
making him look like being bathed by sunlight.

Anyway, keep up the good job! :D

artemis15sc says...

Thanks for the review. Even though the act of protest was an important moment in Vietnam's history, that's not actually what this poem is about. It's solely about the image itself. I know it sounds like I'm purposefully trying to write bad poetry. I just know that I want this poem to be solely about the image. But anyway, thanks!

Becky2421 wrote a review...

Okay wow! Very descriptive giving a clear view of the scene in this poem.
I like the idea that you compared the monks dressed in white to angels on the other side.

'bathed in sunlight'

Wow! that was a good one. Imagery is what you achieved in this chose of words.
You painted a imagine of of the monk covered with flame all over his body
like bathing in a pool of water covering all over the body.

Secondly, boy i have to tell you this, your poetry structure was poor.
I know you've have written several other poems but this would have been perfect
if you grouped the stanzas to make the poem pop out.
Have to admit that your title was catchy and made me open it but when i first saw your
poem, generally it looked lengthy and made me not want to check it out.
I hesitated but then sank into the poem. Just think about it, you could have gotten
more likes or consideration for your poem if you had structured the way
you layer out your splendid work of art.

Reciting this poem out loud it was a mouth full.
You could have improvised and made it short and simple with fewer words.
It kind of sounded like a short story to me.
"The monk is sitting with his legs crossed, like he’s meditating"

An example of making it simple is this;
"The monk sitting cross-legged, like he's meditating"

But overall this was a good work of art you got there mate.
Judging from your other writings that you like creating writings
associating with fire, flame and hot stuff. (curious to know why)

Gosh! don't want to waste your priceless time but do consider the above suggestions love.
Cheers!
===Becky===

Hippyhoodrat wrote a review...

To start, I think the inspiration behind him is pretty cool and it's what made me want to read the poem in the first place. I was really interested as to how you put that into a poem....anyway, I think maybe changing those two beginning lines to just "white." Or maybe something with less words because in the way it's in right now, it doesn't seem to creative. Or maybe instead of white, you want to say nothing or empty or even light, depending on what it is your really trying to convey. Furthermore, instead of coming outright and saying "the monks are dressed in white," you may want to say dipped in white or something else so it's not so...flat? I think changing around a few lines in a similar fashion would be helpful too...other than that, nice work.

GLaDOS wrote a review...

Hey artemis15sc.

The flames look white.

Everything is white.

This isn't the best way to start out a poem. It doesn't feel like an introduction, and these words are a bit weak. Saying that something looks "white" isn't very descriptive and could use something more. Just saying that it looks "white" is bland and doesn't flow too well.

This poem also has a lack of organization. Separating your poem into stanzas restores order, and goes a long way! Your lines are splattered onto a page without having a good introduction and a nailed ending. In fact, this poem doesn't really /have/ and ending. It just seems to be continuing to describe something then suddenly stops.

A face cannot "glisten;" however, eyes are able to glisten. Switch some words out with better ones and this poem will be a bit better.

Like he’s being bathed in sunlight.

"Like." I understand that this is a simile, but the word "like" is very bland. Try "as if he were being bathed in sunlight," which would flow much better. That may just be me and my nitpicks.

This line would go better at the top, and without the word "too." The word "too" disrupts the flow.

If you have a free-verse poem, try and make an effort for things /not/ to rhyme. This is the one rhyming line in the poem.

This poem is deeply in need of an advanced vocabulary and some more adjectives. This doesn't describe things well enough. Where are they? Who are these monks? Why is the "man on fire" in this place?

Meditation makes you one with earth

This line was randomly slapped onto the page. Take it out, or place it at the end, maybe? But even if you did, this line would seem a bit bland.

One man in the corner is walking away

Better vocabulary. These are third grade level words in this poem.

In all honesty this poem needs a lot of work. You need to vividly describe things and bring the surroundings to life. Use imagery, it hooks the reader into your poem. But as it is, this poem isn't very interesting.

Good luck.

✖︎

There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well to worth staying up all night to finish.
— Lemony Snicket