z

Young Writers Society



Robin McKinley

by antigone


Is anyone else obsessed with Robin McKinley? I'm reading Deerskin right now which I love, and I think The Blue Sword is just about the best book ever written. Her other books/stories are awesome too. Plus she's married to Peter Dickinson, which is Interesting Author Gossip. Or something.

Anyone?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 71

Donate
Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:13 pm
Kepe says...



A mix, but mostly fantasy and retelling of the disney princess stories.




User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 1210
Reviews: 99

Donate
Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:46 pm
Monki says...



NEVER heard of her. What type of books are these?




User avatar
268 Reviews


Points: 900
Reviews: 268

Donate
Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:10 pm
Adnamarine says...



It was just strange with... I can't even remember the guy's name right now. But in the beginning the first time I read it I pictured him as this middle-aged, gruff... I don't know, person, and after it was obvious they were going to get together I had to completely reconfigure my whole opinion of him.




User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 71

Donate
Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:33 pm
Kepe says...



The only one that I didn't really like was Spindle's End. It kinda disappointed me.




User avatar
268 Reviews


Points: 900
Reviews: 268

Donate
Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:48 am
Adnamarine wrote a review...



Mostly I love all her books... except Rose Daughter was just STRANGE! How come you don't have Spindle's End on the list? That is a fantastic book by her. Deerskin was very sad, but good. That's one of my favorite fairy tales (Donkeyskin, which deerskin is based off of). But the Blue Sword has to be the best. Even over the Hero and the Crown. It took me the longest time to get around to reading it, don't ask me why. But it was amazing.




User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 193

Donate
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:17 am



I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of her. :(

This is where Amazon.com comes in handy.

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:03 am
Esmé wrote a review...



I only read two of those - "The Hero and the Crown", and "The Blue Sword." The first was read very long ago, but I distinctively remember liking it very much. As for the second one - I recently bought it, and read it, too. The author's amazing, and I have to get my hands on the rest of her books.




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2834
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:51 am
smaur wrote a review...



I was going to write an obscenely long rambly thing about how amazing Sunshine is and how it's dark and funny and scary and smart at the same time, and so very engaging and different from her other novels (but at the same time, very similar; Sunshine has elements of Beauty and the Beast, although with vampires). And how, despite the fact that this is the first time she's written first-person narrative, it's done perfectly, so that you get the impression that the main character is sitting in front of you chatting over a cup of tea. But, I'm extraordinarily lazy and therefore won't. So, yeah: go read it.

The style itself is very different from her other novels, although her main character is, as always, a refreshingly intelligent/strong female character, but it's absolutely brilliant. Just ignore (for a while) that it's written by Robin McKinley, and abandon any preconceived notions that you might have of her writing, and you're set. The plot isn't stellar, but the dialogue and the subplots and the characters completely make up for that. Especially the subplots.




User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 137

Donate
Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:05 pm
DarkerSarah wrote a review...



Young adult fantasy, mainly. I've only read Blue Sword. It was very, very good. She's a very talented young adult writer. I think she also wrote, Beauty, a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It's not fantasy, but it's one of the only books that has ever made me cry.




User avatar
375 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 375

Donate
Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:44 am



i havent read any of her books, what type of books does she write?




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 14

Donate
Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:51 pm
plutogirl says...



I've loved all of her books that I've read, but my favorites that she wrote are The Hero and The Crown and The Blue Sword.




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 241

Donate
Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:12 pm
zelithon says...



they are good but not fantastic drooly like terry prachetts bbooks i like the one with the dragon the best, but i havent read all of them.




User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 170

Donate
Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:52 am
antigone says...



Yay!

Hmmm... I like Rose Daughter better I think but whatever. Doesn't reading the last pages spoil the ending if you do decide to buy it? That's cool though. I'm the same way about intriguing covers.

I usually go to the library cause I'm broke but I love new books. It's a good thing to be compulsive about, I think.




User avatar
531 Reviews


Points: 8846
Reviews: 531

Donate
Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Caligula's Launderette wrote a review...



ALL of them! Just read Deerskin for a second time. Loved it! I love all her stuff I've read. Blue Sword god that brings back memories. Read that and the Hero and the Crown when I was in middle school. wow.

I am addicted to Beauty and the Beast retellings and I absolutely love Beauty, not so hot for Rose Daughter but then again...

Glad to meet another McKinley fan.

Yeah a year ago my friend Molly and I went to the bookstore and we picked up Deerskin because of the cover, we both wanted to read it, but since I was buying so much more than she I let her take Deerskin. I get this call at midnight about how much the book rocked and then she lent it to me. Finally I have a copy of my own.

I have two really weird book traits:

- 1: I read the last few pages of a book to see if I like it or want to buy it
- 2: If it has a cool cover or if the cover intrigues me I'll buy it

I am such a compulsive book buyer...





The first draft is a trip to the amusement park. The next drafts are returning there as a safety inspector.
— SunsetTree