Fairy Tale With A Twist - Snow White

by andimlovegalore

I wrote this in year 10 for my GCSE coursework ^^' so I dug it out for this competition. It's Snow White set in a sort of sci fi future. The original one is here: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0709.html#snowwhite (I just found it on the internet) and it's kind of horrible haha. Anyway, it was meant to be kind of funny, ridiculous and overly PC. I don't really need proper crit on this >.< because it's over haha but I thought I'd put it up seeing as I had it.

---------------

White Comet

Once upon a time, a queen who was expecting her first child was sitting in her space station palace looking out over the earth many thousands of miles below her. As she watched, a comet flew past and she saw how beautiful the red colour was of the fire, and how it contrasted with the black of the vacuum of space and in the centre of the comet a white hot spark shone. It looked so pretty that the queen thought, ‘When my child is born, I want her to be as beautiful as that comet in space.’ And so she went to a nearby hospital where, because science was so advanced, she was able to plan her child’s physical features. Her doctors genetically modified the developing baby so that she has hair as black as space, skin as white and beautiful as the burning centre of the comet and lips as red as the flames around it. It also came to pass that when the princess was born her personality was fiery and strong, just like the fiery nature of the comet. And so she was named White Comet.

Most people, due to the huge advance in medicine, lived to be well over a hundred years old. However the queen suffered a tragic accident in a space shuttle with a faulty oxygen supply one day soon after White Comet was born, and the princess was left without her mother. Some years later, her father, the king, married another woman. She had been born before the science of genetically modified babies had been advanced enough to make a perfect child, and so she was not as beautiful as White Comet and because of the pressures of society to have no defects in appearance, she became very resentful of her.

Because of her extra-special good looks and her high social position, White Comet was treated as a celebrity and was pictured on the front of every intergalactic magazine. The money from her fashion career became the family’s main source of income as the royal family’s funding had become greatly reduced in recent years. However, the magazines tried their hardest to find a fault in White Comet’s appearance and this made her step-mother laugh cruelly and she would often try to lower White Comet’s self esteem with spiteful remarks.

Now, White Comet, as I have mentioned before, was a very strong and self-reliant young woman and she soon grew tired of the constant pre-occupation with looks because she knew that the outside was not as important as a person’s personality. She knew she was no inferior to her step-mother as she was a much kinder and morally-centred person who helped in many charitable events and Earth restoration projects, as the home planet of mankind had become rather neglected in the race to build the best space station in the last century.

As she had become increasingly annoyed by the shallow and superficial attitudes of the people in the palace, White Comet decided to go back to Earth and live with those who had been left behind when mankind moved to space.

She packed her bags and took a space shuttle down to Earth. The planet had grown so unruly that she found herself in a forest and got quite lost trying to find a decent hotel that she could stay in temporarily. Eventually, however, she found herself in a clearing with an old house. She rang the bell, but there was no answer. However, when she pushed the door a little, it opened easily and she was so tired from her long walk through the forest (she was not at all used to having to walk rather than fly in a shuttle or drive in a car) that she went into the house. She was very hungry and found some food in the cupboards to eat. She knew that she would be able to pay the owners back because she was owed a lot of money from doing interviews in magazines. She sat in the lobby and ate, and then eventually fell asleep because she was so tired.

When she awoke she was shocked to find seven men who had certainly not had any genetic improvements made upon them before birth. They were diminutive in height, and were not beautiful at all! However, White Comet quickly got over her surprise because she was an extremely tolerant and modern person who did not wish to judge other people on the way that they looked. She told one of the men that she had borrowed some of the food from them and could pay them back, and she would also like to stay for a while. The man offered her a place in one of the rooms for a fee in old American dollars. Unfortunately, White Comet had only brought space dollars with her, but the man took pity on her and said that she could stay just as long as she did all of the cleaning, washing up and ironing for all the men in the house.

White Comet had never had to do any housework before because she had been very rich and had owned machines that could do the work for her, however on Earth there were none of these machines. And although she was aware that such tasks should not be foisted onto women per say, she found the chores quite challenging and fulfilling as she had to learn how to do each one.

After she had spent some time there, her step-mother learned of her whereabouts and came down to Earth to look for her. She was becoming increasingly worried because White Comet’s income as a model had been supporting her and keeping her rich. She needed all of White Comet’s money so that she could have endless plastic surgery to look as perfect as possible, because even though she tried to appear as though she was very self assured she was really deeply insecure due to the pressure put upon women by society to be physically beautiful. She decided she had to try to get White Comet to come back to space and begin her career again. At first she tried to convince White Comet in person, but White Comet told her that she did not want anything to do with that shallow lifestyle any more and that her step-mother should not be reliant on plastic surgery to be happy. She even suggested that her step-mother should take some therapy instead! The step-mother was very annoyed by this, as she was in denial to the fact that she did not have to look perfect all of the time.

The step-mother was so angry that she decided to force White Comet to come back to space somehow, and so she hatched a devious plan. That very next morning she went to a beauty parlour and bought a special comb. This comb was used by women all over the cosmos and also by professional athletes, because set into the comb were thousands of tiny lasers which removed unwanted hair. She went down to Earth and broke into White Comet’s room in the middle of the night – replacing her comb with the special laser comb. She was certain that when White Comet’s hair all fell out she would be forced to go back to space to get real hair implants from sophisticated plastic surgeons. White Comet, as the step-mother had planned, combed her hair that morning and all of her hair fell out! She was very surprised and a little annoyed, but instead of rushing back to her space station home she simply placed a wooly hat on her head to keep her warm and carried on with her day. The step-mother was furious! How could White Comet stand to walk around looking less than perfect? She sat down to think, and soon thought up another wicked plan.

That very next morning the Queen took a visit to the Tesco outlet where her step-daughter ordered her food from the internet and replaced one of the organic space apples with a special genetically modified one. These apples were used by super models who wished to gain weight in order to get pregnant and also by sumo wrestlers and rugby players. When White Comet ate that apple she immediately gained weight and became a size 14 instead of her usual petit size 8. The step-mother – watching via satellite video – cackled with glee. Surely now White Comet would be forced to travel back to space to get liposuction. However, White Comet had already caught onto what her step-mother was trying to do and didn’t mind her new curvy figure at all. She simply ignored it and carried on with her day.

It was then that the step-mother made a phone call to an old friend. This man’s name was Prince Charming and he was a well-known pervert and womanizer. He was always trying to date women who were far out of his league. He had once fallen madly in love with a woman who had been asleep for a hundred years due to the pinprick of a spinning wheel – only to get bored as soon as she woke up and go off in pursuit of a comatose girl inside a glass coffin! He answered the phone call from the bottom of a tall tower which housed a beautiful girl, and the step-mother could hear her shouting at him to leave her alone in the background. The step-mother told him about White Comet and that she was living on earth. The prince was so excited, because he had seen White Comet on the front of many magazines already, that he left the princess in the tower without a backwards glance and flew to earth.

When the prince arrived at White Comet’s little house where she lived with the seven regular looking men, he spent many weeks singing love songs to her outside of her window and sending her love poems via Bluetooth. However when he finally saw her and found that she was bald and had a fuller figure he was horrified and fled planet earth! This was all part of the step-mother’s plan – to crush White Comet’s confidence by showing her how unattractive she was to men and forcing her to run away back to space. White Comet, however, was simply glad that Prince Charming had left as she had begun to get annoyed by his constant attention. However, she was also angry that he could be so shallow and even though she was very strong willed she was also insulted that he thought she was ugly. White Comet signed into her www.dontdatehimgirl.com account and posted a photograph of the prince so that other women would know that he was so superficial and wouldn’t be fooled by his charm. She was immediately answered by all of the other women he had dated and brushed off – including the beautiful girl from the tower whose name was Rapunzel.

Rapunzel and White Comet became very close friends over time. Soon enough, White Comet had become extremely efficient at doing the housework, due to her feminine ability to multi-task, and so she wanted another challenge to keep her occupied. Rapunzel also had a problem – her hair grew so fast and was so long that she had to let it hang out of the window and irritating princes kept on climbing up it to ‘rescue her’. White Comet and Rapunzel found a brilliant solution to the problem! They both left their homes and set up a wig shop. This gave White Comet a wonderful way to keep busy doing all of the accounts, and Rapunzel found a good use for her hair that brought them money and fulfillment in making people without hair happy for a very reasonable price. White Comet herself had a wig made of Rapunzel’s hair and they made some lovely toupees for the seven little men who were all suffering from hair loss of varying degrees.

And they all live happily ever after. Even the step-mother, who got some therapy and converted to Buddhism, becoming a spiritual and kind woman and eventually making her peace with White Comet. In fact, the only one who didn’t live happily ever after was the prince, who was shunned by every girl he met for his despicable behavior.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 am
nickelodeon wrote a review...

I especially like the ending - The use of Rapunzel was an unexpected twist, and the descriptions of the step-mother and prince Charming were funny. I think humor is a strong point in this story.

In general, i would suggest focusing in on one character (Probably either White Comet or her step-mother), and really show the reader what kind of person they are like, what they're thinking along each step of the story, etc.
Right now, you're telling me the motives and personalities of every character flat out. It serves the purpose, but it doesn't make for a very memorable story. In my experience, focusing on one character will probably make your whole story longer and more complex, but it will be more fun to read.

To finish on a positive again, you had nice wording, very distinct. It goes along with what i said before about the whole story being cute and funny.

Imagine if everybody had a little Wii sports Mii to say "Great Shot!" everytime they did something right.
— TheMythMaster