Extinct Water. (we really need to save water, especially now) I like writing feature articles, so, I am hoping for anyone's advice!!!

by althea29michelle

Extinct Water

Water, it's an element that is essential to all living things, it has so many uses that are only being taken for granted. Will there be enough to enable us to survive?

These past months weather forecasters on tv have been talking about drought, and how water may not last for more than one year. It's hard to imagine how the water in dams and flowing rivers become nothing but mud.

According to scientists, 75 percent of earth is water-covered while oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water. Water also exists air vapor, rivers and lakes where most of the fresh water can be found. 

Water never stays still, thanks to the water cycle. But because of the extreme weather condition brought upon us, the number of RAINFALL has now decreased to less than than the average number. Also, the Government is already planning on planting rice that don't need to absorb too much water. 

Maybe Martians will come to save Earth, or maybe all human race would be ordered to migrate to another planet. If that happens, then planet Earth would turn into particle tinier than an atom. The point is, as mentioned earlier, water plays a big role in the survival of the species. If the oceans dry out, sea animals would die and the corals reefs would wither. Although some animals learn to adapt to their surroundings and evolve, they still need water like humans do. 

if rain ceases to come, rice fields and other plantations would dry out. And the price of water would be unimaginably high. It would also affect the flow of electricity since those who live outside the city get power from nearby rivers. What does this mean? Is this a sign of the apocalypse? Or is it something deeper? Whatever it is, it's surely not a good thing if scientists brand water as, "EXTINCT."

Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:04 pm
lawrence wrote a review...

I am also from the Philippines and has several experiences on campus journalism and I think this entitles me with just the right amount of credentials to say that this is more of a science feature and goes beyond the criteria of the actual feature writing contest you would get to participate in. Feature writing , of which I would usually divulge myself into focuses more on crafting short stories and projecting flowery words and sentences of abstract depth. But it would surely circulate along journalistic topics like disaster preparedness, 21st century learning and other current affairs.

This article is more of an Editorial, but as what my adviser would say, these types of literary pieces would usually find intellectual insights amassed upon it, so it is much expected that if you are a writer to this field, you must write with sophistication. Sophistication- as in you should be propped with vast vocabulary (although never take this onto an excessive, blurting peak) as well as imbued with a lot of convincing opinions about recent news topics. So based on these standards I guess this needs some improvements. But don't worry, the molding of a good writer basically just involves a lot of reading and assessing your opinions about a lot of daily encounters. Most importantly, you must know of your platform.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:46 am

Okay, so first thought. It’s a very small thing and easily fixed, and you don’t have to go with it if you don’t want to, but I’ll suggest it anyway. So you titled this “extinct water” and ended with a line about “extinct water,” but I suggest “endangered water.” The reason being that the whole essay is about how water is in danger of going extinct—it’s not extinct yet. As long as there is some, it’s just endangered. Kind of just a quibble, nothing important (probably), but that’s my suggestion.

Then I have some other suggestions that are for specific parts. So let’s go through those real quick, shall we?

Water, it's an element that is essential to all living things, it has so many uses that are only being taken for granted.

It would make your opening paragraph much stronger and affect readers’ response to the paper if you gave some specific examples here. Not only common uses of water like standard hydration and bathing, but less commonly thought of uses as well. For example, elecriticy, which you bring up at the end of the essay in this sentence.

It would also affect the flow of electricity since those who live outside the city get power from nearby rivers.

Irrigation, cleaning, landscaping/decoration/foundations, thawing food, plumbing, fish farming, cooling off/swimming…you might be able to come up with more than that, but my point is, boost the first paragraph with some specific examples of ways we use water. (Just a hint: irrigation is one of the most important ones, as it helps agriculture in desert areas, so water in that case provides people with food as well.)

Water also exists air vapor, rivers and lakes where most of the fresh water can be found.

Something to consider at this point is that, okay. So if 96.5% of Earth’s water is ocean, that leaves only 3.5% fresh water. Consider how little that is, compared to how much water is actually on Earth! Plus, much of Earth’s freshwater is actually groundwater that has to be drawn up from below the surface, so that’s extra work to get this small amount of water somewhere people can actually use it. So you could always bring that up, too.

But because of the extreme weather condition brought upon us, the number of RAINFALL has now decreased to less than than the average number

Some statistics would be useful here. i.e. “For example, in 2012, the average rainfall worldwide was xxxx inches per month, but in 2013 it decreased to xxxx inches per month.” Also, I’m not at all sure why “rainfall” is in all-caps.

If that happens, then planet Earth would turn into particle tinier than an atom

Is this meant literally, or do you mean Earth would appear to turn smaller as it recedes behind mankind as we migrate to another planet? If the first, you need to explain that, because I’m not sure that’s actually true. If the second, you need to make it clearer so that we know that.

Additionally, it’s always a good idea to cite your sources throughout the essay so that people know you’re not just making up facts!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

BlueAfrica

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:39 am
Firelight wrote a review...

Hi there! Welcome to YWS!

I like the topic of your essay, but I did see a few things you could change.

There was a spot I saw were all you needed was a capital at the beginning of the last paragraph.

But because of the extreme weather condition brought upon us, the number of RAINFALL has now decreased to less than than the average number.

I wouldn't put rainfall in all caps. I would use italics here instead. I feel like italics emphasize where all caps almost seem to indicate yelling. Same goes for extinct. I would either write it lowercase or in italics again.

Overall, I would add a little more detail into your writing, maybe elaborate a little bit.

Nice work and keep writing!

~Fire

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:27 am
acm wrote a review...

Good essay! I think the issue that you are talking about is very important, and it was good to read. Maybe you could put a bit more numbers in so the reader knows exactly what is happening. You could compare how much water water there was in an earlier time period to now or something like that to show what is happening. Other than that, there are a few spelling errors the could be fixed pretty easily. Just read it over and check for grammar before you hit publish.
Good job!

Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:35 am
TheUnknownWriter wrote a review...

Hey fellow Pinoy! :D

I believe that this was a pretty good concept, but, like steampowered said, I agree that this essay wasn't really attention grabbing. Also, there are some grammatical errors which I won't go over much but I wanted to point it out.

I'll review as I go:

"These past months weather forecasters on tv have been talking about drought, and how water may not last for more than one year."
Here, you can specify some small details about the research you did: What forecasters? What part of the Philippines were they covering? etc.

"According to scientists, "
Like I said before, you could be more specific by mentioning the names of the scientists, what they study, etc.

"Water also exists air vapor, rivers and lakes where most of the fresh water can be found."
In this line, I didn't really understand what you were trying to say. I don't really know how to correct this but I'm just pointing it out.

"the number of RAINFALL has now decreased to less than than the average number."
'rainfall' doesn't need to be in all caps. And what is the 'average number'?

"Also, the Government is already planning on planting rice that don't need to absorb too much water."
the Philippine Government? doesn't* Also, you can go into more detail why planting this certain rice is beneficial.

"the corals reefs would wither."
coral*

Overall, you have good intentions with this article! You just need to remember to revise your work and to cite your sources. Water IS very important. I'm in California and we've been in a huge drought recently but no one really treats it as a natural disaster when it has a huge impact upon our environment. Good luck and keep writing!

Yes! Advice taken!
I really hope to improve, so thank you for the honesty and I will keep on writing until I become good at it.

steampowered wrote a review...

Hello, steampowered here for a review and to welcome you to YWS! I also enjoy writing articles and have been doing so for a while, so hopefully I’ll be able to give you some helpful advice. :D

Your premise was good and I think the basic ideas are definitely there but I didn’t feel particularly hooked by this article. You say in the title that we need to save water but I didn’t really see that message reinforced through the contents of the essay. Articles and essays, especially in a case such as yours, need to be persuasive – to make the reader change their behaviour, or at the very least change their outlook. Why not tell us ways in which we can save water? Even the obvious things like “turn the tap off when you brush your teeth” could do with being mentioned. Maybe you know of ways that nobody else has thought of. Share them with your audience!

I didn’t really like this opening, partly because of the grammatical errors but also because of the formatting. For a start, you used comma splices in the first sentence which is incorrect. Here is a great article by Lavvie which might be able to help you see where you made the error.

Furthermore, this opening doesn’t quite pack the punch it deserves. Perhaps you could reformat it something like this:

Water.
It's an element that is essential to all living things. It has so many uses that are only being taken for granted. Will there be enough to enable us to survive?

I don’t know if you prefer that, but I feel it has a bit more impact. Feel free to ignore my suggestions though; they’re only one reviewer’s opinion. :)

number of RAINFALL

I think you mean “amount of rainfall”. Also, rainfall really doesn’t need to be capitalised.

Maybe Martians will come to save Earth, or maybe all human race would be ordered to migrate to another planet. If that happens, then planet Earth would turn into particle tinier than an atom.

No offence, but what does this last sentence mean? I’m guessing you’re going for some humour here, but it didn’t really work because we’re expecting to see scientific facts here and if you throw in something more sarcastic, it might cause the reader to disbelieve your whole article. Keep it credible. ;) So I’d suggest erasing that second line – but the first line is probably OK to stay.

One other thing I noticed is that sometimes you use words like “Also” and “And” at the beginning of sentences. I personally wouldn’t do this as it makes your otherwise good ideas seem like tacked-on afterthoughts. Furthermore, it’s often a good idea to cite your sources, so when you’re talking about government rice programmes, you should mention where this information is from, and which government and country you’re referring to.

I think that’s everything I noticed, and I’m really sorry because I feel like this was a really harsh review. However, this is a really promising start and considering most articles will end up going through a re-draft process (even professional ones) I’d love to see how this ends up! Hopefully I didn’t just discourage you, and keep on writing! :D

XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory