z

Young Writers Society



A Song to the Sea

by albert


Magnificent sea, great and vast in size,
you are there as I open my eyes.
Each time I ride your waters, memories fill my cup.
Though my wife was taken by your fearful might,
I stay brave and loyal, for this is an ocean's rite.

Divine waters! To my children I teach the wisdom of the sea..

You extend your arms to my children.
And their smiles make the sun rise again and again.
Their joy is filled by our humble and loving presence.
And when I stared deeper at our blue nature,
I forgot my miseries and pains I used to endure.

Blessed waters, my sole provider! These songs I sing everyday.

Day by day I need not fear,
for your hands offer fish a plenty.
And the salty midnight breezes bring tranquility.
Enchanting is the calm voice of your waves;
and eternal is the food in your palms, in my sea who saves!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there albert.

There's a lot of parts of this poem that are bothering me but I think I’ll start by dealing with the rhyme scheme. I think this might have been labeled as lyrical (way back whenever) because a lot of the basis for the poem was functioning on the rhyme scheme. With how much you were depending on that aspect to work out, I’m really wondering why it didn’t go that far and wasn’t consistent when you came to some of the hiccups. I see no reason for them to be purposeful so from my perspective it mainly looks like a big mistake, which is hurting the poem far more than helping it.

Each time I ride your waters, memories fill my cup.
Though my wife was taken by your fearful might,
I stay brave and loyal, for this is an ocean's rite.


In the first stanza, this out of place word is: cup. It’s hard enough to fit your word choice into the theme but there’s absolutely no way to connect it to the rhyme. I saw a heavy use of forced rhyme in the second stanza, but I’m letting that slide for a bit. There was obviously a lot of effort put into making this poem coherent. So for the most part, going mainly from the content standpoint, it does pull that off. It’s just the style and formatting that throw me off so far that the other parts of the poem aren’t really visible.

This is one of the most frequent problems I come across and in your case the technical details probably won’t take that much work. Looking at everything going on in the content, I think it’s definitely a good start. The next big issue is on the imagery which has a very religious tilt to it and I don’t think that’s what you were going for. Some parts of it are sounding purposeful but the other part is coming back down to unfortunate word choice. At least from my standpoint.

Blessed waters, my sole provider! These songs I sing everyday.

Like this line sounds purposeful to me and it probably is based on everything I've studied religious imagery. I am half wondering if you wanted "sole" versus "soul" because both would work for the references to a god.
Day by day I need not fear,
for your hands offer fish a plenty.

This one is also purposeful but I don't like how the two types of imagery mix. That kind of makes me question some parts of the message? There's an overall lack on consistency with all the different elements going on here.

So I guess that's all that I have to say for now.
Happy October!




User avatar
321 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 321

Donate
Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:41 am
Liz wrote a review...



Not bad, but it seemed a little awkward at times. I think you need to work on the flow a bit. As an example, you might want to fix the repetition of "children" in the second and third stanzas. That may help. Also, the last two lines seemed very forced. Fix that, and not a bad poem!





don't try me bro
— Seirre