Kingdom of Shadow

by Zion

ok this is back again, mostly for Nai and jack, they know why. I havent revised the old stuff but I added more today. Crysi, I think you will like Andara :P :D ;)

********************************************************

Elenor. A city of beauty, its marble towers engraved with golden runes, piercing the blue clear skies above. After the Degree of Nations that was brought in 2089 by the Council of Equilibrium, a small kingdom was created in the summit of the Sunrise Mountains. This city-state was governed by The Archbishop Geondar, grandson of Otam II, emperor of the former Elenian Empire. At first many thought that this was nothing but a feeble attempt of the now dead advisors and nobles from Rinodan to re-establish Elenia, but under a different name. They were wrong. With the coronation of Invictus, these plans failed. The Archbishop Geondar is also a Favored One as Invictus, and he wanted a new form of a kingdom. The forging of the new children of Humanity. He preaches the religion of the Favored Ones, those who have been touched by the Holy Gods, now presented as Saints. Yes, they were, are saints, and his cause was seen as just and holy. That’s how Elenor was established. As a kingdom of perfection, a kingdom of wonder, a kingdom that will erase the past sins of Humanity. Elenorians don’t care much of war; they care only of improving not only their life-style but also they bodies, their minds and souls. Elenorian healers are some of the best known in Archanon. But amidst the lavish wonders of Elenor there is no place for the poor, or the weak. To be an Elenorian means not only to be rich, but to be respected, wise and intelligent. That’s the only crime Elenor has made against this world. By many, nowadays Elenor is seen as a promising kingdom, even though small in territory, its resources are vast. They have now joined the League of Peace, among Equilibrium, Aurin, The Scaraabian Dynasty, The Dwarven Clans and the Mata Nui. And today, in 2130 New Age, Elenor was put to a test…

The cloaked halfling was shouting on the streets of Elenor:

-The Archbishop, the one that brought us together! The DEVIL! A spawn of Evil. A shadow!-He was running down the streets, towards the Academy. Finally one of the guards stopped him:

-Sir please calm down! If you don’t stop this I’m afraid I will. Come with me to the Guards Post.

-No! NO! Stay back! You will turn me in one of them! Stay back!-The halfling shouted, launching a Magic Sphere towards the guard. The chaotic sphere of swirling magic struck down the guard, he slammed on the ground, his chain mail making a terrible noise. Everyone on the streets was staring at the halfling. Some of the citizens came to help him:

-Sir is there something wrong? Please let us help you. That’s why we are citizens!-The told him their voices filled with fear, from the uncontrollable magic of the halfling.

-No, no, no! Stay back! Stay back from me! NO!-eventually, more guards came and stopped him, and chained his hands with a dampening collar. They dragged him to the nearest guard post, as he was shouting down the streets, sobbing:

-Geondar has gone mad brothers and sisters! HEAR ME! The Human wants us all dead! He summoned and army of the Abyss! Run while you still can!-The halfling has gone mad, everyone thought, confused. Not even the children were laughing at him. To speak such words against the Favored Cleric, blasphemy. You have to be either the bravest mage that ever walked on Archanon, or to be the stupidest one. The noon sun was reflecting against the trail of tears that ran down his face. His tattered rags were like a dark spot, a drop of ink on a letter that had to be erased. In the Kingdom of Perfection there was no place for the mad, the poor and the chaotic. The once tranquil city of Elenor, its golden silence was being shattered by the ravaging of a crazy halfling.

They cam in front of the Guard Post. A small stone building, much different than the other lavish towers and domes. Inside there was the captain, angry as usual. He ruffled his fingers through his gray hair, blue eyes, examining the map of the great city. The wooden doors opened wide, and the guards and the halfling entered inside.

-So this is the madman that is causing all this trouble?-the captain eyed him raising an eyebrow, trying to hide his anger.

-Yes sir, one of our patrols found him half an our ago-one of the guards said.

-Why is he wearing a dampening collar?-the captain asked the young guard.

-Sir, he injured one of the guards of the patrol I mentioned.

-An assassin?-the captain smirked at the halfling who was sitting there, silent, his face still cloaked.

-A mage I suppose. Or a sorcerer.-the guard answered.

-He couldn’t control his magic sir. He is obviously a sorcerer, the usual madmen, ravaging the lands.-the other guard said, with discustment.

-I’m a Scion…-the halfling said quietly-Please remove the collar.

-A what?!-The captain was amazed-Don’t play fools with me halfling or I will have your head on that table, you understand?

-That’s what was said about the Tao-Maj. That’s what was said about the Grand Elves, the Yaka Ha’lli. That’s what was said about the Dark Claw and the Turquoise Archers. Now please remove my collar, please…-the halfling said, lowering his voice, almost begging.

-How do we now you won’t use your magic against us, Scion?-the captain eyed him questioningly. He might be right, the captain thought to himself.

-I’m only an Initiate Scion, you are six guards in chain mails, with swords and arrows. I don’t even have decent clothes.

-So be it-the captain sighed-Guards you heard him. Remove the dampening collar.-One of the guards came, and took a key from his pocket. He unlocked the collar, a fiery ring that was looping from his hands disappearing immediately.

-Ah, much better.-the halfling said, cuddling his hands.

-Who are you halfling?-the captain asked.

-Me? M-m-m-y name is from no importance to you.-the halfling was running away from something.

-Yes it is. And I want that name, NOW! I’ve already wasted my time with you, you filthy little halfling.-the captain was getting mad.

-I’ve been hiding for so many years. I don’t see a reason to hide myself any longer.-the halfling sighed-I’m, was, Dorim Van Angest.-the captain and the others hissed or laughed. Whispers started to spread among the young soldiers. The captain bursted out laughing.

-Ha ha ha! A good joke little one! Now, tell me who are you?-the captain was becoming very serious.

-Believe it or not, I’m Dorim. - hr took of his cloak, and long white hair fell to his shoulders, a pale face, dark, black eyes. An aura of undeath emanating from it.-Everyone was shocked. The captain took a few steps back. His forehead drenching with sweat. The guards preparing their weapons.

-T-t-ake him to the dungeons! Summon the Archbishop. You boy!-he looked at one of the guards that brought Dorim-Go immediately to the Grand Council. Tell them a messenger of the Dark Claw has arrived.

-Please, don’t do this.-Dorim said-there is no reason for violence, I’m not a necromancer anymore.

-You’re not a necromancer! You’re a vampire, an abomination, a LICH! There is only a matter of weeks before your skin fells off.-the captain was reaching for his sword. In the same moment the doors came down and the small room was filled with soldiers and mages-Take him! Take him out of my sight!-the captain yelled, falling on the ground, crawling away from Dorim. Even the soldiers and mages were afraid from him. Dorim turned towards them, two spheres of black matter gathering in his small pale hands, his tattered rags engulfed in purple flames, and turning in black leather robes. Clothes that even the strongest and most powerful of dark mages wouldn’t resist.

-I’m warning you…move away.-No one did, everyone was just staring at him, petrified, their arms shivering. He grabbed one of the soldiers and put his finger on the neck, making a small cut. Small drops of blood were falling down the neck of the young soldier.

-Let me go sir, please.-he was sobbing- He, all of them new Dorim’s power, a former Magistrate of the Dark Claw, the only halfling necromancer that has ever walked these lands. Even the grass was withered from his touch. No one new how he managed to keep his form, and not becoming a lich for over 1000 years.

-No boy, no. I won’t let you go. Not until our friends here clear the road, so master Dorim can go home.-he was whispering on his ear, the young soldier on his knees.

-Please, listen to him!-he said, shivering sweat and blood running down his face. The road cleared the group of mages and soldiers moved back.

-That’s it…-Dorim said statisfactionly. With the boy in his grips, he started to move slowly, his black eyes glaring at the others, fearful and dangerous-Don’t make anything stupid now…-suddenly someone shot an arrow at him. All the others bend down, like they were timed, awakening them from the shock.

-Who did…-Dorim looked around when…

-I DID! - someone yelled from above him. On the roof of a small house, in front of the noon sun there was a she-elf. An archer. Her white cape, wearing the insignia of Elenor on the back, waving on the gentle breeze. Her deep green eyes penetrating the dark gaze of Dorim.

-Who in the name of Scions are you?!-Dorim asked, reaching for the neck of the young soldier.

-I’m Andara. A Pearl Archer in the service of Elenor. That was a warning shot, necromancer…-she said to him.

-I guess you want me to put the boy down yes?-Dorim smirked at her.

-I see your brain hasn’t rotted yet.-she said, taking another arrow from her quill.

-You blind fools! Your Archbishop has gone mad! I tried to warn you. But I can see that the lavishness and the arrogance has poisoned your mind.-he kicked the boy with his foot on the ground, and he stepped back. In the same moment, black flames consumed him, and he was gone.

-He will be back…-Andara said, jumping on the ground where he vanished. She took the boy in her arms- Are you all right soldier?

-Yes, yes…I think I am.-he said regaining his strength, rising from the ground, wiping the dust from him.

-All of you, listen to me…-Andara looked at the other soldiers and mages around- This didn’t happened? Am I understood? The Archbishop is not feeling right and the least he needs is this scandal. Double the patrols, I want extra guards in front of every door in the castle.

-Yes m’lady.-the captain said- We shall keep this a secret.

-Very well them. Now go, and take some rest, we don’t see abominations less much necromancers in this fair city.-she said, knowing that he will return, sooner than she thought. Or at least that’s what she thought. A man said, watching them from the distance leaned on the wall. His pale hand touching the marble wall, exposing a strange ring, a ring that wore the symbol of the Dark Claw.

-So it seems that Dorim still lives. And even joined the Scions. - A smile stretched on his cloaked face, vampire teeth showing, many and grotesque.

-I’m going to inform Jonathan about this…-she said trailing off, down the Old King’s street. As the soldiers still watched at her, many of them confused, and her snow white cape enveloping her graceful figure, thoughts were screaming inside her mind: How? Why? It can’t be! But, what if…What if he is right? Then what? Her emerald eyes shifted from one person to another passing by. With her face she was telling them Nothing happened here. Still, the people were scared, and this “gossip” will remain for quite some time now. She could see the fear in their eyes. For many Elenor was a bastion of peace, a place were they could feel safe. A sanctuary for all Humanity. The irony was she was no human. Nor was Dorim…

Since the moment when she joined the Pearl Archers, Andara, and the entire guild was transferred here in Elenor. Two hundred years ago, the Turquoise Archers abandoned the Seraph Order, and many of them joined the Drow or offered their services to the underwater kingdoms. The Pearl Archers willingly abandoned the Order, soon after that, for unknown reasons and joined the Banished Nobles, the mocking term of the old Elenian Nobles and advisors. Andara was among those who offered their services to the Prodigious Knights, in exchange for a home and gold of course. Even so, day by day there were less elves. Elenor was well known for its racism towards the other races, but Elves? The Pearl Archers were one of its greatest warriors. Andara was one of the few remaining.

-I feel so alienated in here.-she thought to her self as the lavish mansion of Jonathan was glooming ahead. His estate was one of the greatest in Elenor, and most lavish. One square kilometer of land, two ponds filled with one of the most exotic fishes and a small personal forest for sport hunting. The mansion was even more pampered. The entire structure was made from marble taken from the best mines in Snowsong Mountain, towers dwarfing the nearby houses. Some would think that a king lived here. She came in front of the wide gates made from gold, the emblem of the Prodigious Knights engraved in the middle, a flaming sword, with yellow streaks swirling around it.

-I came to see Jonathan…-she said quietly to the old guard in front. He was asleep, and he would not hear the elf if his halberd didn’t slam on the ground.

-Ah!-he jolted up from his wooden post and had a good sip from the cup in front of him.

-Unbelievable…-she said to her self-he drunkens his own guards with the most expensive wine.

-Mistress Andara, its…you…-she narrowed his eyes-I must inform you that Sir Jonathan is having a sleep, and he strictly ordered not to be waken from his slumber. Don’t awake the lion while he’s asleep. - He said with a mocking voice, imitating the deep stern voice of the knight.

-Its urgent Jacob. I have to see Jona…

-Sir Jonathan, elf…-he raised his eyebrow.

Tue May 31, 2005 3:48 am
Nai wrote a review...

all rightay...
::cracks fingers::

Griffinkeeper did a very nice job of editing so i'm just going to correct some of the most apparent grammatical and spelling errors.

Arvandor wrote:A city of beauty, its marble towers engraved with golden runes, piercing the blue clear skies above.

A city of beauty; its marble towers engraved with golden runes, piercing the clear blue skies above.

Arvandor wrote:Yes, they were, are saints, and his cause was seen as just and holy.

This sentence is kind of awkward, you go from "were" to "are" outside of a comma.

Arvandor wrote:Elenorians don’t care much of war; they care only of improving not only their life-style but also they bodies, their minds and souls.

Elenorians don't care much for war; they care only for improving not only their lifestyle, but also their bodies, minds, and souls.

Arvandor wrote:The cloaked halfling was shouting on the streets of Elenor:

This part isn't too good...
First off, "The cloaked halfling was shouting on the streers of Elenor:", doesn't belong in there.
Well, actually, how about this:

"The Archbishop, the one that brought us together! The devil! A spawn of evil! A shadow!"
The halfling ran down the streets towards the Academy. Finally, a guard stopped him.
"Sir, please calm down! If you don't stop this, I'm afraid I will. Come with me to the Guard's Post."

Arvandor wrote:The chaotic sphere of swirling magic struck down the guard, he slammed on the ground, his chain mail making a terrible noise.

The sphere of swirling magic struck down the guard, his chain mail making a loud noise.

Arvandor wrote:Everyone on the streets was staring at the halfling. Some of the citizens came to help him:

Everyone on the street stared at the halfling. Some of the citizens made a move to help the fallen guard.

Arvandor wrote:-Sir is there something wrong? Please let us help you. That’s why we are citizens!-The told him their voices filled with fear, from the uncontrollable magic of the halfling.

"Sir, is there something wrong? Please, let us help you.", they told him; their voices filled with fear from the uncontrollable magic of the halfling.

Arvandor wrote:-Geondar has gone mad brothers and sisters! HEAR ME! The Human wants us all dead! He summoned and army of the Abyss! Run while you still can!-The halfling has gone mad, everyone thought, confused.

"Geondar has gone mad, brothers and sisters! HEAR ME! The Human wants us all dead! He has summoned the army of the Abyss! Run while you still can!"
The halfling has gone mad, they all thought.

Arvandor wrote:To speak such words against the Favored Cleric, blasphemy.

put the word "was" between "Favored Cleric," and "blasphemy."

Arvandor wrote:You have to be either the bravest mage that ever walked on Archanon, or to be the stupidest one.

There's "stupidly" (adverb) and "stupidness" (noun), but there is no such word as "stupidest".
And this sentence is also awkward, I would eliminate it all together.

Arvandor wrote:They cam in front of the Guard Post.

"cam" to "came"

Arvandor wrote:He ruffled his fingers through his gray hair, blue eyes, examining the map of the great city.

I know what your trying to say with "ruffled", but it doesn't look or sound right...
He ran his fingers through his gray hair, his blue eyes examining the map of the city.

Arvandor wrote:-So this is the madman that is causing all this trouble?-the captain eyed him raising an eyebrow, trying to hide his anger.

"So, this is the madman that is causing all the trouble?" the captain eyed him, trying to hide his anger.

Arvandor wrote:-Yes sir, one of our patrols found him half an our ago-one of the guards said.

"our" to "hour"

Arvandor wrote:-He couldn’t control his magic sir. He is obviously a sorcerer, the usual madmen, ravaging the lands.-the other guard said, with discustment.

lol discustment?
"discustment" to "disgust"

Arvandor wrote:-Believe it or not, I’m Dorim. - hr took of his cloak, and long white hair fell to his shoulders, a pale face, dark, black eyes.

"hr" to "he"

Arvandor wrote:-That’s it…-Dorim said statisfactionly.

I think you meant "satisfactionally", but the trouble is, that's not a word. I'd just take out the word all together.

Arvandor wrote:With the boy in his grips, he started to move slowly, his black eyes glaring at the others, fearful and dangerous-Don’t make anything stupid now…-suddenly someone shot an arrow at him. All the others bend down, like they were timed, awakening them from the shock.

With the boy in his grip, he started to move slowly, his black eyes glaring at the others.
"Don't do anything stupid now.."
Suddenly, someone shot an arrow at him.
Everyone else dropped to the ground, as if timed, snapping them out of shock.

Arvandor wrote:-Who did…-Dorim looked around when…
-I DID! - someone yelled from above him.

"Who did--"
"I DID!" someone interupted from above him.

Arvandor wrote:-All of you, listen to me…-Andara looked at the other soldiers and mages around- This didn’t happened? Am I understood? The Archbishop is not feeling right and the least he needs is this scandal. Double the patrols, I want extra guards in front of every door in the castle.

"happened?" to "happen."
"Am I understood?" to "Does everyone understand?"
"and the least he need is this scandal." to "and the last thing he needs is this scandal."

Arvandor wrote:-Very well them. Now go, and take some rest, we don’t see abominations less much necromancers in this fair city.-she said, knowing that he will return, sooner than she thought.

"them" to "then"
This whole sentence actually needs to be fixed.
"Very well then. Now go, and get some rest, we won't see abominations, much less necromancers, here any time soon." she said, knowing that he would return sooner than she thought.

Arvandor wrote:-I’m going to inform Jonathan about this…-she said trailing off, down the Old King’s street. As the soldiers still watched at her, many of them confused, and her snow white cape enveloping her graceful figure, thoughts were screaming inside her mind: How? Why? It can’t be! But, what if…What if he is right? Then what? Her emerald eyes shifted from one person to another passing by.

I don't really know what to do with this..
Just sound it out, it doesn't sound right.

Arvandor wrote:With her face she was telling them Nothing happened here. Still, the people were scared, and this “gossip” will remain for quite some time now. She could see the fear in their eyes. For many Elenor was a bastion of peace, a place were they could feel safe. A sanctuary for all Humanity. The irony was she was no human. Nor was Dorim…

I would just take this part out all together.

Arvandor wrote:-I feel so alienated in here.-she thought to her self as the lavish mansion of Jonathan was glooming ahead.

Take out the word "glooming"

Arvandor wrote:-Ah!-he jolted up from his wooden post and had a good sip from the cup in front of him.

"had" to "took"
"good sip" to "drink"

And why does this story seem so familiar... :-k

deleted6 says...

I almost stopped reading the history of the place was too long but good story but explain more it was too confusing

Thu May 05, 2005 9:48 am
Zion says...

eeek...

Griffinkeeper says...

Not to bad if English is a second language. Your best bet is to practice it until you start reciting grammar books in your sleep.

Wed May 04, 2005 6:45 am
Zion says...

Wow, this was harsh. But I accept it gladly. Thanks G. :D I'll get on it as soon as I have the time. You might dont know, but Im macedonian, and fairly new to writing so, english makes me a problem or two. :)

Tue May 03, 2005 6:14 am
Griffinkeeper wrote a review...

Bad use of fragmented sentences. If he is running while he is saying this, please put that before the dialog so the reader knows why the sentences are fragmented. Also, there is no quotation marks after "A shadow!"

Instead of (-), use (""). The guard also was phony. A cop would have assumed the halfling was a madman and restrain him until reinforcements arrive. If the guard is going to be beaten up, have him be beaten up, but make sure he acts like a real guard instead of a bad actor.

For being afraid, they sure aren't acting that way. If they were paralyzed with fear, they couldn't react. If they could react, their natural impulse is to run from danger. This is dangerous halfling lunatic they are afraid of, not a small kid. The dialog is making the characters false. There are better ways to install symbolism that don't make sacrifice the characters.

You don't expect me to believe that he can't fire another magical blast just because there is some metal around his neck. If he is tired, or has used all the magic he can muster, say so.

-Geondar has gone mad brothers and sisters! HEAR ME! The Human wants us all dead! He summoned and army of the Abyss! Run while you still can!-The halfling has gone mad, everyone thought, confused.

Get rid of confused. It adds nothing and makes the sentence awkward.

Not even the children were laughing at him. To speak such words against the Favored Cleric, blasphemy. You have to be either the bravest mage that ever walked on Archanon, or to be the stupidest one. The noon sun was reflecting against the trail of tears that ran down his face. His tattered rags were like a dark spot, a drop of ink on a letter that had to be erased. In the Kingdom of Perfection there was no place for the mad, the poor and the chaotic. The once tranquil city of Elenor, its golden silence was being shattered by the ravaging of a crazy halfling.

Why are the children still there? Wouldn't they have been cleared from the street? He is a dangerous lunatic after all.

He ruffled his fingers through his gray hair, blue eyes, examining the map of the great city.
This makes it sound like he is ruffling his fingers, instead of his hair. Here is a better sentence.

"He moved his fingers through his gray hair. His blues eyes watched the map of the great city, they betrayed his anger." You would need to convert it to the proper tense, but you get the idea.

-A mage I suppose. Or a sorcerer.-the guard answered. [/quote

Sir might be better used after the sentence. Keep in mind this young guard wants his superior to get the information first, formality can be given at the end of the sentence and be within protocol for the guard. Also keep in mind that the guard might be hesitant to give an opinion to a superior officer. He would give fact. It would be more realistic if he gave a fact like "He used magic. He might be a mage." Fact first, opinion after.

-He couldn't’t control his magic sir. He is obviously a sorcerer, the usual madmen, ravaging the lands.-the other guard said, with discustment.

Who is this mysterious talker who babbles in the halflings defense?

I am amazed. The chief guard didn't rise to his idiot by being a fool. His thought process would go along the lines of "What if he escapes? My boss will be mad. Until I know who he is and his power, it is wiser to keep him under guard. He is also easier to catch with the chains on him.

Have your guards act like guards.

-I’ve been hiding for so many years. I don’t see a reason to hide myself any longer.-the halfling sighed-I’m, was, Dorim Van Angest.-the captain and the others hissed or laughed. Whispers started to spread among the young soldiers. The captain burst out laughing.

Wouldn't they have done a search, at least a pat down?

-You’re not a necromancer! You’re a vampire, an abomination, a LICH! There is only a matter of weeks before your skin fells off.-the captain was reaching for his sword. In the same moment the doors came down and the small room was filled with soldiers and mages-Take him! Take him out of my sight!-the captain yelled, falling on the ground, crawling away from Dorim. Even the soldiers and mages were afraid from him. Dorim turned towards them, two spheres of black matter gathering in his small pale hands, his tattered rags engulfed in purple flames, and turning in black leather robes. Clothes that even the strongest and most powerful of dark mages wouldn't’t resist.

If he is a halfling, how the heck is he able to reach the neck of a guard?

-Who did…-Dorim looked around when…

Warning shot! Dorim has got a hostage and he fires a warning shot? I'm sorry, if police snipers don't fire warning shots, neither will this archer.

First of all, wouldn't that landing hurt? Also, what is a Pearl Archer, and what authority does she have to order the guards? Why not have the story leak out and create a scandal? It would be a more interesting plot development, and the actions certainly aren't secret. Too many witnesses.

A man said, watching them from the distance leaned on the wall. His pale hand touching the marble wall, exposing a strange ring, a ring that wore the symbol of the Dark Claw.

This needs a new paragraph and the setting, description, and action should come after the dialog. I'd delete this and let the reader find out about this guy later. That tidbit interrupts story flow and that interruption doesn't justify using him at that point in time.

History lesson. Annihilate it.

-I came to see Jonathan…-she said quietly to the old guard in front. He was asleep, and he would not hear the elf if his halberd did’t slam on the ground.
-Its urgent Jacob. I have to see Jona…

If she is able to make several guards freak out, she sure as heck should be able to intimidate a drunk guard.

-Sir Jonathan…-she frowned-Something happened near the city square. The city might be in danger.
-As much as I enjoy your presence, Andara, I can’t let you in. Orders you know. She un-sheathed her danger and placed it on Jacobs adam’s apple, which was jumping up and down from the fear.
-Listen to me human, the city is in danger, and as much as I want it destroyed, my orders are to see Sir Jonathan.-she spoke with anger through her teeth. Jacob was looking at her, speechless, and without moving away he reached for the keys in his pocket and unlocked the gates. They swung wide open and Andara slammed him on the concrete wall beside him-Remember Human, I maybe an elf, but my position is astronomical compared to yours, next time, when I say open you will open, is that understood?-she opened her eyes wide open her blond hair blazing in the wind, her emerald eyes radiating with power and intimidation.

If her position is higher, she should be able to enter the building without having to go through this slime bucket. She doesn't have time for death threats.

-Of course…m’lady.-Jacob said leaning forward, almost as afraid to take a deep bow. Without a single word, she smirked at him, and continued forward towards the mansion.
-Maybe I should have not said anything about destroying the city.-she sighed. She felt some comfort when she saw the small wood. She could feel nature beckoning for her once again. These towers of cold stone and slaughtered wood were killing her elven spirit. Not only she felt alienated in here, she also felt caged.

It has been seventy years since she saw forests or went hunting. She felt home sick as she was walking through the stone paved trials, and the knight’s mistresses dancing and laughing in the ponds. She imagined them as the local dryads and nymphs near her village, when they were small children they would go out and play in the local grove, the Tigerheart Grove. They would play hide and seek with the dryads, or chase the fairy dragons, and she would practice her magic skills with the Grove Maiden who was also a dryad

This is a history lesson. Summarize it to a single sentence.

-One day I will return there.-she said, looking at the beautiful and careless mistresses. She neared the wide ironwood doors and knocked three times. After a moment a tall pale man opened the door. His cold eyes were fixed on her face, and her longbow strung on her back. She took off her cape and ran her fingers through her blond hair and leaned forward looking down, with her right arm pressed on her heart.
-Good day sir.-she said quietly-I am Andara Le’ral, third archer of the Pearl Archers, requesting an audience with…Sir Jonathan.
-I’m sorry, the master cannot accept any guests right now. He had to discuss pressing matter with the Archbishop last night, and he is very tired.-he even closed his eyes and made a weird expression as if emphasizing the burden of tiredness his master felt.
-But you don’t understand…-she was interupted by a sound of water splashes and giggles from upstairs. She rasied her eyebrow, frowning-Resting you say?

I like that last line.

Sorry for the short comment before, I didn't have enough time to review this completely before just now.

In summary:

• If you find yourself giving background information, delete the information, move it to the prologue, include it in the dialog, or summarize it to a sentence. Never give blobs of background information.
  • Find more convincing bad guys. Giving a halfling necromancing powers is superficial. You want evil or some sincere form of maliciousness. The vampire dude shouldn't be mentioned at all, because he interrupts the story. Find a better place to include him.
  • You need more convincing guards and citizens. They are not behaving or thinking like a realistic character would. Research modern prison tactics and some sniper research for the archers.
  • Your characters are making too many one liners. For Dorim it might be acceptable, but for Andara it isn't.
  • I think you were attempting to add in symbolism, but you destroyed the believability of your characters in the process. This is bad.
  • You jumped around too much. It is real confusing to have all these back to back viewpoints with out any spacing in between paragraphs.
  • Use quotation marks to indicate dialog, not (-). It is just proper grammar.
  • Use the Spell Check. There are a number of errors.

That's all.

Tue May 03, 2005 3:49 am
Meshugenah wrote a review...

Griffenkeeper, do you have anything to critique?

Arvy, I agree, the beginning does have the feel of a history lesson. A possible remedy would be (and please tell me if you have done so) a prologue of some sort that explains some of the history, but with some action, and preferably some relevance to the plot. Another was to go about this would be to give less information at the beginning, and more throughout the text.

Quotes would be nice, but you usually use "-" these, don't you? hum.. spaces between paragraphs would make for easier reading, I do admit, but that's up to you (but it might get more critiques with them).

sanctuary for all Humanity. The irony was she was no human. Nor was Dorim…

I would call this telling, not showing... maybe just stating she is not a human? and differentiate between haflings and humans, or make it known somehow that halflings are not considered human, possibly by using the humans view towards them.

There were a few typos and such, but I'll leave those for now, unless you'd like me to help you find them all, Arvy.

I was wondering what you'd done with this, and I hope you let us read more!

Tue May 03, 2005 1:39 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Paragraphing: You need to add an extra space to tell us where events begin and end.
Not like this.

Like this.

Zion says...

Thanks Rei ;)

Rei says...

History lesson at the beginning. Not the best idea in the world. And you need to use "quotation marks."

Zion says...

-Maybe I should have not said anything about destroying the city.-she sighed. She felt some comfort when she saw the small wood. She could feel nature beckoning for her once again. These towers of cold stone and slaughtered wood were killing her elven spirit. Not only she felt alienated in here, she also felt caged. It has been seventy years since she saw forests or went hunting. She felt home sick as she was walking through the stone paved trials, and the knight’s mistresses dancing and laughing in the ponds. She imagined them as the local dryads and nymphs near her village, when they were small children they would go out and play in the local grove, the Tigerheart Grove. They would play hide and seek with the dryads, or chase the fairy dragons, and she would practice her magic skills with the Grove Maiden who was also a dryad-One day I will return there.-she said, looking at the beautiful and careless mistresses. She neared the wide ironwood doors and knocked three times. After a moment a tall pale man opened the door. His cold eyes were fixed on her face, and her longbow strung on her back. She took off her cape and ran her fingers through her blond hair and leaned forward looking down, with her right arm pressed on her heart.

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot