Fantasy Story (First 3 Paragraphs)

by Mathy

Hello YWS! Today I have for you the beginning of my latest story, one that took me months to craft. These first three paragraphs are the culmination of this effort, and the beginning of the actual text, the story having already been finished. I am open to both narrative and gramatical corrections and/or suggestions.

The chirping of birds called forth the sun, rising from the horizon in likeness of a phoenix. The pale pink of the morn faded to blue as light filled the windows of late sleepers. All seemed well in the world, at a glance, from the eyes of a young farmer. Everest, whose tale we follow, is this young farmer. Donning his plaid shirt and brown trousers, whose colors complemented perfectly his tanned complexion and dark, curly hair, he stepped out into his world each day. This outer world consisted mainly of fields and farm hands, while the world he kept inside him teemed with life. His dreams were filled with Elves, forests, magic- adventure. And so his heart longed, day by day, until at last, his sixteenth birthday arrived.

In Everpeak Glade, that is to say where he was raised, antique tradition now declared him independant. He had no intention of leaving yet, however, as he had much to do before then. It was Autumn, the time of the harvest, and Foster had already paid them a visit. Hailing from the Forest of Spirites, he comes round Fall to rejuvenate the soil and grow the crops of humans. This happens each year, and each year, he greets Everest with a tale of grandeur and venture. The child had sensed in some queer way that he was in the palm of a God. This you too would feel, had you been in the presence of a mage such as Foster.

“Everest!” A shrill voice called, freeing sleepy eyes from their dark prisons. Everest rose swiftly, throwing off a thin tan blanket that he had used to keep warm. Soon heavier materials would be required as Autumn became Winter and Brundon reigned over the Glade once more. That, however, is a story for another day. Groping for his farm tools, Everest’s hands fell upon a small stone of white and silver. It was an opal, given to him by Foster at last year’s harvest. About it was a thin vaneer of golden light, the likes of which was a rare sight in the Glade.

This is all the writing I've finished so far.

Que wrote a review...

Hi Zelda!
Just popping over here for a quick review--I hope your day is going well! I'm just going to highlight a few specific pieces of your story that I have questions and suggestions about, then go into a more general overview.

Donning his plaid shirt and brown trousers, whose colors complemented perfectly his tanned complexion and dark, curly hair, he stepped out into his world each day.

It's okay to go into physical appearances, but it's best if they're woven into the story. For example, we don't need to know that the colors perfectly complement his skin and hair. You could say something like, "Donning his plaid shirt and brown trousers, just like many of the other farmers in the glade, he combed through his dark, curly hair and stepped out into his world each day." There, I just put in a bit about others in the glade to show Everest's relationship to them, and that way it doesn't seem so much like listing a character description. You don't have to do exactly that, of course, but changing the context around the physical appearance might help. :)

It was Autumn, the time of the harvest, and Foster had already paid them a visit. Hailing from the Forest of Spirites, he comes round Fall to rejuvenate the soil and grow the crops of humans. This happens each year, and each year, he greets Everest with a tale of grandeur and venture.

Rejuvenating the soil? That's neat! Interesting that this happens in the Autumn rather than the Spring. Is Foster still here? If so, hopefully we can meet him! And if not, maybe Everest will tell us a little more about that experience.

“Everest!” A shrill voice called, freeing sleepy eyes from their dark prisons.

Is this one of his parents? We haven't seen much of Everest's family yet, and if he's now able to be independent, they might have a big say in what he does/where he goes next, so I hope that they will come into play soon. :)

Everest rose swiftly, throwing off a thin tan blanket that he had used to keep warm. Soon heavier materials would be required as Autumn became Winter

Here, I feel like "tan" isn't the best descriptive word you could use. Since you talk about using heavier materials in the next sentence, it might be better and more telling of the world they're in to use a material in place of tan. "Throwing off a thin, knitted blanket", for example, or "thin cotton blanket". Then you could maybe add in an example of a heavier material in the next sentence.

Autumn became Winter and Brundon reigned over the Glade once more.

Ooh, Brundon, is that another mage like Foster? Or something else?? It's too bad that's a story for another day--hopefully we'll get some context on this soon, but it sounds neat!

Everest’s hands fell upon a small stone of white and silver. It was an opal, given to him by Foster at last year’s harvest. About it was a thin vaneer of golden light, the likes of which was a rare sight in the Glade.

Here, I can't tell if the stone is actually glowing, as if with magic, or if you're just describing the sine of the opal. A reaction from Everest would be helpful! Is the stone a rare sight in the Glade, or whatever it might be shining with?

Overall, a good start to the story! You have a clear world in mind, and though you drop some hints about it here, I hope that it really begins to shine through later on in your writing. :) Everest seems like a great character, although we don't know much about him yet other than that he's a farmer--who wants adventure! Whether he gets it or not, I hope he'll develop along with your story.

You did a very nice job with imagery, especially in the first paragraph, and you have a nice writing style--sort of like storytelling. Good luck as you continue writing this! I hope you post more, and you can feel free to tag me if/when you do. :)

-Q

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 pm
lelu wrote a review...

Hi! Haven't done any reviews for a while, so I apologize if I'm a little rusty. Overall, I like the potential in this. Which is not to say that it isn't good now. However, as an editor, I scrape away the slight problems to reveal the gem within.
Gems:
The sunrise is good. Few people describe the sky any more. You convey the fieriness of the sun with the phoenix image. You might say the sun was "shining upon the green fields and surrounding mountains of Everpeak Glade." If, indeed, there are surrounding mountains.
Everest is a good name, and his clothes and appearance work. Farming is normal, and so is Everest, though I REALLY like the part where "the world he kept inside him teemed with life."
Foster comes around to bless the crops, etc., and Foster is a good name for him, as in "foster father." I like him telling Everest stories. He feels a bit like Gandalf, but still very much original. I would also like to see the Forest of Sprites. Perhaps we will later?

Slight problems: The sun is not actually shaped like a phoenix. You could say "like a phoenix" rather than "in likeness of a phoenix" and this would still be beautiful.
Also, Everest's clothes can complement his skin and hair, but if you say they do, he seems a bit like a dandy, or a handsome prince. If he's handsome, that's fine, but this might be better worded a different way.
Lastly, Foster comes from the Forest of Spirits. Or is it Sprites? Either is good. Also, it's "independent" and "veneer." I don't blame you for not knowing these. English has far too many words, and "veneer" is a rare one.
I love this. I would like to see more, especially of the scenery.

Mathy says...

I have since corrected veneer, but independent I had not. Thanks!

As for Spirites, it is spelled as a combination of both as to not allow the reader to associate these entities with a previous conception of an entity, as to look something like both Sprites and Spirits.

I like your analysis of Foster being like a Foster parent to Everest. I don't know if I wrote it in these paragraphs, but he has never met his father, which is a very important aspect of the story. Foster was always like a Gandalf to him, you may say.

As for seeing the Forest of Spirites, I'm guessing most areas of the world will be one day. I plan on adding this to the story, though that's not open before the end of this chapter and likely the next.

I appreciate your appreciation for my commenting on the inner world of Everest. There comes a time very soon where he must permanently choose between following his passions and becoming immersed in the world that calls to him, or staying a farmer in order to conform to his families' wishes.

I agree with the clothes emphasizing his presence, and I feel it may be important to tone this down so as to not make his character a Mary Sue. There is a canonical reason for this strong appearance and figure, but until it is revealed, the reader knows little of it.

Mathy says...

Thank you for your kind and helpful review!

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:17 pm
Lib says...

Wow, that's really good!! I love that name by the way, Everest. Beautiful! :D

I hope to see more from you soon!

:D

~Liberty500

Mathy says...

Thank you!!!! I thought this was good as well. I've been practicing.

Lib says...

Great! :)

Lib says...

Um... I can't really see your story...

manilla says...

Agreed.

Horisun says...

Yeah, sorry.

Mathy says...

Oops....

Lib says...

There ya go! I can see it now!!

You are not the voice in your mind, but the one who is aware of it.
— Eckhart Tolle