Home » Literary works » Poetry » Politics

Living On A Prayer

by YumnaAzeez

Through streets of pavement grey, among the city hustle

she and her sick brother slowly shuffle

Tapping at car windows, looking through the glass

Coins dropped near their feet or tossed to their path

Faces pass, ignoring the wolfish eyes of hunger

She hunts around, a meal for her brother.

But alas! The day is done and the sun begins to set

Hand in hand they trudge in the rain, slippery and wet

Through and alley awaits a home made of board

That is their life, that is all they can afford.

They pull out the loaf of bread she wishes they had bought

The Baker had run behind, but she was not caught

They eat in silence, no words need to be spoken

Silence has a sound, yet it seems to be broken.

Together in a huddle they get ready to sleep

She could not, it was cold, all she could do was weep

She hears her brother asleep softly breathing

She closes her eyes, let it be soothing.

May tomorrow be a blessed day

Every scrap of bread, let it come our way

Pray for the sun,birds and blue sky,they say

Pangs of hunger for them are far away

Day after day, night after night

This is her prayer, to live and to fight.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:33 pm
strwbrryyy wrote a review...

I really love this poetry. Containing the power of strength and faithfulness are better than other stuffs. I could relate this story for several families out there.

It really caught my attention 'cause the idea of yours was from a real-life situation. This kind of story will teach many to be contented and know that they're lucky. There are many people on the streets who are starving to death. They're doing everything, especially the grown-ups to help themselves and others to live. Many writers wrote about poverty, and you're one of them. You should be proud of yourself because this is a good work.

This kind of poem teaches us on how to live for our lives. It teaches us on how to live by faith. Our God is living. He's love endures forever therefore, He will provide. It doesn't matter on how rich or poor you are. The important thing is that we believe in Him, that He will guide us through and will be our Father forever. He's always on our side. For those people who are tired, dying, they're the ones stronger than us. Living a life that's full of sickness and pain like theirs is not easy but, the love that they're feeling right now, the strength that they're using, the faith, it's from God. Poverty? Break it! We have Him. Always remember, God is love.

-strwbrryyy

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:39 am
girlonlineallthetime wrote a review...

Hi YumnaAzeez,

This is a really deep piece and I really enjoyed reading it! The rhyming is quite subtle and I thought that it made the poem flow very nicely. The theme is deep and really gets people thinking, especially because the part about the people ignoring them when they are hungry. It really gets us thinking about humanity.
I think you are missing a few periods at the end of a couple lines but other than that I thought it was very well written. This is a very good example of 'showing not telling'. Good job! :)

-Girl Online All the Time

YumnaAzeez says...

thanks. i appreciate it :)

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:36 am

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs