z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A joyful Sakrant

by Yashna1610


Quick take a left, oh no! Take a right again. Oh god I can't do this much longer this is crazy. Here comes another one! Jesus Christ what did I ever do to end up in a life like this? Maybe I'll just take shelter near the parapet over there. Will I ever get home safe? Its maddening it really is! A bloody massacre. Oh these barbaric ruthless humans! Are they really that blind to the suffering all around.

"Hey Josh, I hope you're not hurt. Believe me these new threads are cruel. They say it's the best quality right from China."

" I'm alright Mia. Yes it's bad indeed. Holy! Your wing looks terrible. How will you ever get home like this?"

"Oh! I don't know. Sam couldn't make it home yesterday either, oh what will I ever tell the kids! Who would ever feed them and protect from a world so brutal. Oh, Oh!"

We're helpless here I thought to myself. Nothing could be done. We're voiceless in a selfish world. The humans would never understand what we go through with their big military services and technological advancements what do they have to fear?

They've gone beyond the stage of understandings and explanations. Driven by the thirst to succeed, the possibilities of the future have blinded them enough to overlook the significance of their natural home and fellow organisms.

Never mind these humans for they fight a war in between their own selves, one which they shall never win and will one day turn back to nature for forgiveness and help;

With their robotic limbs and artificial emotions what do they know the price an innocent pays.

Get ready. Fly straight and slow, avoid the black string at all cost. Oh how I wished I wasn't cursed with a life like this. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there, noticed this lurking in the back of the Green Room here, and I thought I'd come kick it out.

First off, I pretty much agree with what Sweater said. Although the somewhat minimalist style is nice, you don't give them enough dialogue to make it much more than just confusing. I did figure out it they were birds, but it took a while. Also, your "I" narrator takes up far too little of the narrative.

You also, because of your fluctuation between actual actions of the birds and the general espousing on the human condition, fluctuate a lot between past and present tense. Technically, you are using both correctly - it is logical to use present tense when talking about things in general, and using past tense for the specific actions of the birds is common storytelling technique. However, even though this is technically correct, the way you use it here makes it so that the tense changes nearly every couple of lines and just winds up being confusing and awkward to read.

The other main problem is that the dialogue you do give the birds is overly cheesy. I know you're trying to be clear about what's happening, but nobody talks like that unless they want to sound really pretentious. Their fear feels fake - in fact, it kind of sounds like how the shallow 1800s era women are portrayed - the kind that are appalled at a torn handkerchief and seize on every bit of gossip.

I like your last paragraph a lot, although I think the very last line is kind of weak and might be better off removed.

Anyway, I hope this helped, and I wish I could tell you exactly how to fix your dialogue, but if I knew how I'd be a lot better of a writer than I am right now. In general, a good tip is to read it out loud and if it sounds weird, you probably need to change something. Good luck!




User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 1053
Reviews: 133

Donate
Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:03 pm
View Likes
ShakespeareWallah wrote a review...



Hi.

From where I’m from Sakrant is an annual kite festival, and this piece seems to be, in a nutshell, about two talking kites who get philosophical and talk about the state we are in and how things might look in the future for us.

This isn’t strictly nonfiction, but more of a rambling, thought piece told by kites with sakrant in the background. You write in a stripped down manner which is nice, but you keep changing topics way faster than you should. The kites don’t have a lot of attention span and keep jumping from one thing to another.

This works against what you wanted to have here as I see it. You wanted to use the talking kites like puppets to basically say what you think about these matters, right? If that’s the case, you gotta give the reader a coherent argument. It could be that kites don’t have a long attention span and talk like this, but even then, at the end of the day, the reader doesn’t totally get what the author tried to tell them.

I talk about this because it gets to the reader. I might ask what the point of the kites is, randomly going into however humanity screw themselves up as they are desperately trying to stay afloat. You get what I mean?

I sorta understand what you were going for, and the whole thing started of pretty good, so I feel like you have a lot of “potential”. And then again, there aren’t enough writings about kites. Hope this helps? Write on my wall or PM me if you have any question or something.




Yashna1610 says...


Hey thank you so much for the feedback I do indeed appreciate it.
But its actually about two birds and what they go through during sakrant. It really is sad how they end up dying.

I'd love it if you read through it again and told me how you liked it and what I could do to make it better.
Thank you :D





um hi!
well, i read it again and you don't make the bird thing very obvious so i figured you were talking about birds.

well, it sorta doesn't matter who were talking (birds or kites) since you're using them as a medium to critique about humanity, which itself is fleeting as you keep jumping from one thing to another.

you could flesh it out, or narrow it down to one single thing you're talking about topic. Cause, now it just seems a bit all over the place without being about anything.



Yashna1610 says...


Uhh actually you should be in India, my city particularly to see what sakrant actually looks like. Over 500 birds and 20 kids were reported dead on the 15th of this very month. People aren't realizing the harm they are actually doing and overlook the seriousness of the situation. Google the images for sakrant in Jaipur and you'd be shocked too!
Other than that I agree on the actual writing part and that it needs improvement. I'll try being more focused on a particular thing.
I do apreciate it, thanks. :D




Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author