if i jumped off a cliff you would do it too

by Virgil

On the news I hear about the latest fad
to go barefoot in the winter.
I hear sirens outside of my house
slowly realizing she's on a stretch to the hospital.
The only thing left behind is her left foot 
that lays in the middle of her yard.

They tell her parents that she will never walk again.

A few weeks later after she lost her legs
I see a group of teenagers
wheeling themselves down the sidewalk all because of a
six second video that she posted of her screwing around in her wheelchair.

When the trend died out she trashed the wheelchair
causing an abundance of them to end up in the junkyard.

She reflects on her life while staring out the window years later
thinking of all the things she had done in her life.
In her mind she made a list:
1. Made wheelchairs a fad in 2016
2.
3.
4.
5.

So you liked me to this a few days ago and I've finally had a chance to check it out.

1. I think you need another line describing the winter and the harsh conditions or the length of time this fad has been going so that it's more understandable that someone has lost their foot through it. At the moment the transition between lines two and three feels very sharp.

2. I don't think 'slowly realizing' adds anything to the picture and it slows down the flow of the poem. I'd suggest something simpler and maybe make the last two lines a tad more active:

'I hear sirens outside of my house,
they stretch her to the hospital
and the only thing left behind is her left foot,
standing upright in the frost bitten yard.'

3.

Do you need this? If her foot's in the yard then we know it's serious and actually most people get fitted with prosthetics these days and can walk again. Maybe instead go the humour route: 'They build a one leg snowman.'

4. The next stanza doesn't quite have that poetic flow - it's very prosey. I'd also suggest you don't need to remind us that she has lost her legs. The wheelchair reference is reminder enough! Maybe something like:

'A few weeks later I see a group of wheeling teenagers,
cruising the sidewalk on four feet instead of two
because a six second YouTube clip
made wheelchairs look "way cool".'

5. It doesn't make sense that the girl with no legs trashed her wheelchair. In fact I'd find this more poignant if you described the other kids trashing theirs but she's stuck with hers when it is no longer cool.

6. The list with only one item is nice.

This is fun! It's not polished and it's not flowing too smoothly at the moment but it's an interesting idea and I think it has the potential to make a fun statement while also being entertaining and not taking itself too seriously.

Best of luck with this!

~Heather

Virgil says...

It's not polished and thanks for the review! xD

This is very interesting. I like it :) Good work

iF YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU, YOU WILL NOT CLICK THAT LINK.

AutoPilot wrote a review...

Wow, this is a pretty interesting piece. I'm not sure whether or not I actually like it.

You did a great job addressing a big thing in a lot of teenagers lives; fads and trends. Most kids want to be popular, to be noticed, and to be looked up to. Your story-erm, poem, did a good job of showing that. Here's my nitpick with your poem; A lot of poets (myself included) throw away or disregard punctuation, but you did not completely do this. You used a little bit of punctuation, but not enough to go either way and it made this a little difficult to read, as my brain kept pointing out where you needed coma's. I see what you did, making every two lines a sentence, but it still bugged me that you did not use commas at the ends of the first halves. You can leave it alone if you want, it is after all a nitpick :D

The other thing I found really interesting about your poem is the list at the end. There is only on thing on it, 'Made wheelchairs a fad in 2016.' I am going to go ahead and assume that you did that on purpose. When I read it, I saw it as, "She only accomplished one thing in her life, after ruining it (her life) with something else." She made wheelchairs a fad after having lost her legs because she was being stupid. She then- kind of accidently- made a fad. I don't know, the list just seems perfect.

I hope that this review made any sense, I feel like a went all zig-zaggy a bit.

Keep on Writing!

Rosy234 wrote a review...

Hi!
I really like the use of vocabulary you have used, I like the layout. The tittle is attractive and the way you have worded this makes the reader feel sorry for her, you have end this story on a cliffhanger based thing. It really captures the horribleness that the world does to you at times! I really enjoyed this and please keep writing!

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:44 am
Morrigan wrote a review...

Ok but

I don't want to like this, but I think it's actually quite well executed. I don't want to like it because generally I don't like very pointy commentary about what's going on in the world because it judges other people. However, it illustrates very well the kinds of harmful and disgusting trends that teenagers often find and copy.

I think it's wonderful that you used the phrase my father often used when I wanted something that my friends had for the title. You take an old, used phrase, and illustrate the concept in the poem nicely.

Another thing I appreciate is the unfinished list that so well shows that this person doesn't have any more accomplishments than just that one silly thing they did years ago.

All that being said, I do have a few criticisms that I'd like to voice.

While hearing about something on the news does show that the trend is widespread, I feel that you're trying to make this character a trendsetter rather than a trend follower. As such, maybe you should start with the foot in the yard and end the stanza with hearing about other such incidents in the news.

This line break is not doing it for me. Try to end lines on strong words, not conjunctions or articles. It messes up the fluidity you've got going on. I suggest you end the line on "sidewalk" or if you're feeling extra adventurous, "because" (I say extra adventurous because I don't know how I would feel about the line ending on "because," but I would find it more acceptable than ending it on "a").

I'm not sure how the narrator, being the neighbor of this girl, can see into her mind as she reflects. I think it would be less contradictory if you switched to a third person perspective rather than first person.

While this does show that she is a trendsetter, I keep reading "abundance" as "ambulance," and I think that this is due to the previous content in the poem. I would use another word.

I encourage you to use more descriptive language in your poem. Use more provocative language, be it more intellectual or slang. But spice it up. Make it a bit more interesting. Also, I think that you could flesh this out by using more of your five senses. Instead of seeing a group of teenagers in wheelchairs, how about hearing them creak up the sidewalk? I'm sure they don't all have brand new ones that their parents bought them.

That brings up another point-- where are the parents? Are they funding these trends? I think it would add to the social commentary if you mentioned their role in this.

Altogether, I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing it on YWS! I hope that you find this review useful to you. Happy writing, Yams!

Virgil says...

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:11 am
Sevro wrote a review...

Huh. This was oddly deep, and a little inspiring.

I feel like I can indirectly relate to the poem. Sometimes, it just seems like people only do things because someone else is doing it. You're saying, "I could post a video of myself doing the craziest, stupidest, most ridiculous thing, and you all would be two second behind me, just because you're so caught in the current." The message you send by writing this is so strong, and you delivered it in the subtlest way. Like, when it hits you after you've finished reading the poem, you're all like "...whoa..." That was exactly how I reacted to this. I was pretty stunned for about twenty seconds before starting to write this. So, nice job. Really, how you conveyed this message was really amazing.

As for the actual content of the poem, it was flawless. If there were any grammatical or spelling errors, they weren't obvious enough to hinder the reading experience. It always makes me happy when someone cares enough about their writing to actually, you know, proofread it before sharing it with the world. I feel like you wrote this with a blunt mindset. You didn't use a lot of descriptive words, which only made the glass of the message clearer, to me. I liked that you left numbers 2-5 blank. It left me thinking.

All in all, I really liked this. It spoke to me in a monumental way, and I hope you never stop inspiring people.

~Caterpickle

Virgil says...

Thanks for the review and I'm glad that I inspired you :'D

Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said