Advent Child; Ep 1

by Xunnamius

Ep stands for Epilogue, by the way. This is part one of two equally short parts.

This is the preview of my Book Two_ The Apostles for my Novel Series Advent Child (look at my signature, or click here.) It's short and sweet, so why not take a few minutes and size it up for meh! You might have to have read a bit of the first book to understand it, but I'm trying to phase that attribute out. Any help would be appreciated! If you're a fan of bold, italic, all around proper formatting, and not having it split it two -- the PDF is available for download at the bottom of the post.

... And it begins...

The image was shaky, like one of those old drive-in western film-reel movies, going through a pretty crappy projector. You could even see those white tear-lines scrolling the vision vertically. The quality itself may have been horrible… but the images were worse.

It started out black. Just… black. And then two red eyes opened in the darkness. The blackness faded away, revealing a man’s face. He had pale, cold skin and dead sunken eyes — like a cadaver, staring back at me. The irises were a shimmering bloody red color; his pupils were open black and white chasms, like hungry mouths waiting to feed. With a single glance I’m sure he’d snatch away your soul… and mine.

His over gelled hair fell over his face sloppily. He’d never even bothered to keep it groomed.

Why would he, considering?

It became clear the moment I laid eyes on him: There is no Major Player alive strong enough to take him on.

The image zoomed out.

The heavens were a sickly shade of scarlet, with clouds flashing by at unnatural speeds. The closer the clouds got to the creature, the blacker they got. Said creature was standing atop an immensely tall skyscraper — one that surpassed all others. He was totally inaccessible from the mortal world. You could just feel it, every time you looked up at his silhouetted figure — glowing red and yellow, in deep contrast with the blackened sky above him. Loose mummy-like wrappings blew in the wind at his back, completing his supernatural look.

In his hand he held a bible. It was on fire. Burning. Slowly.

The building itself was seriously damaged. It was literally falling to pieces. Massive chunks of concrete plummeted towards the ground far below in slow motion.

The image dropped down from that scene, flying into another.

This one was far worse.

Talus, the Lord of Seven, lay in two distinct pieces, at the side of a broken road. In between him lay a pile of seven of the ugliest beings I’d ever seen.

Lying a few yards to his right was Lady Sorrow. She wasn’t moving either. Her face stared at me… her eyes were missing. Her mouth was open in the ever dramatic ‘O,’ her dress sopping wet with some goopy red stuff.

Is it blood?

A figure dressed like some sort of musician — going to play at a really snazzy recital, lemmie tell ya — was pinned to a tree. His fancy clothes were ruined much like Lady Sorrow’s. Jagged pieces of metal — stained red by blood like the others — skewered the man, giving the scene a very ancient look.

A wolf was lying on its side, on top of a wrecked vehicle. It was as if someone had chucked the poor thing at the car like a pitcher does a baseball. The wolf’s carcass was bent at an unnatural angle, jet-black goop dripping from in-between its broken ribcage. Its eyes were totally white — void of any life.

On the other side of the road, someone had been kicked through the wall of a house. The only clue to the person’s identity was its wicked looking staff, sticking out of the wreckage. Lightning struck it in the same spot once… twice… three times!

The image flickered to another scene, much like the first.

An old woman with one eye sat hunched over against the wall. Her neck was twisted in an odd way — at a sort of slant.

A woman was on top of a black and silver motorcycle, bowed over. Her body was covered in a once magnificent white trench coat. The thing was torn to pieces now, but it looked like it had extensive black-colored designs sewed into it.

Other bodies from faces I didn’t recognize at the time were strewn across the scene. Nothing but death and destruction as far as the eye could see.

The scene flickered once again.

More corpses, surrounded by ruined buildings, overturned cars, and shattered streets.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: So this seemed like just a whole bunch of scenes where nothing at all happens which seems appropriate enough for a prologue but the whole thing feels a little repetitive and slightly boring when you really look at it. This could be because that seems like a ridiculously large amount of characters and because nothing happens or it could just be me not knowing what happened before this so sorry if the last one is the reason.

Oooh a pretty intriguing place to start things off right there. Should be interesting to see what exactly very scary sounding line about images means.

Okay pretty good description there...got a little poetic up in that one...kinda reduced the shock factor that way. Its usually a good idea to keep horrifying descriptions short and with no elegance whatsoever because it takes away a bit from the horror of it.

New words used casually...very interesting...and extensive worldbuilding sensed...

And wow that is quite an intense description that you've got there. Definitely an awesome image that you just put into my head.

Oooh more fun titles, this should be interesting.

Okay now its getting a bit much. Introducing this many people is kind of a lot but then I guess if you read the book this probably makes a bit more sense.

Not the strangest thing ever that...

Uhh...okay...imagery got kinda repititive here and then there's just no awesomeness at all in it. The yawning begins...maybe because I don't know if this is paying something off and we're supposed to be super involved in this so take all that with a grain of salt.

Overall: Overall this is pretty cool to consider if you look at it broadly. It looks like you've got a ton of worldbuilding put into this and I feel like I might at some point hunt down the rest of this novel to read because it seems pretty cool. Anyway that's about all that I have to say.

Xunnamius says...

I see your point there, I'll make those edits when I get back. Thanks!

jojo48 wrote a review...

Very vivid descriptions. I could tell that if I was watching a movie I'd be freaked out. You've definately got a unique writing style - in a good way! There are just a few things I think you should fix. When you're describing each scene, try to let it be its own thing. I don't want to hear the voice and oppinion of the narrator in there. You're just describing the scene as it is. This fits right in with the next thing I'm about to say.

I think you should make each scene have a different kind of scary feel. If you take the narrator's opinions out, this should fall right in place. For instance, the scene about the cadaver man staring back at you should feel threatening. The scene about Lady Sorrow should feel, well, sorrowful. This beautiful lady (at least she sounds like she used to be beautiful) is now a twisted corpse.

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson