z

Young Writers Society


12+

Matt Daniels and the Sword of Diamonds - Book 1 of the Matt Daniels series : Chapter 1

by sjdwrite


He was lost. He was in a forest, but it was dark out, and he had no sense of direction. He turned slowly a circle his heart thumping in his chest.

Suddenly, his foot hit something hard, and he fell to the ground. He bit his tounge on the way down, and know he tasted blood. He spat and cursed under his breath. He scrambled back up, although somewhat unsteadily.

Woosh.

He picked his head up, frozen in place, his eyes darting around. What was that?

'It was just the wind, right?' he thought. Yes, that was it, he tried to assure himself, it was just the wind, that's all.

But he knew in his heart that was a lie. He hadn't felt anything, so it couldn't of been the wind.

He went warily, his heart missing a beat each time he stepped on a fallen twig.

Something abruptly tackled him to the ground. He cried out, sprawled uncomfortably on the rough terrain.

A darkness spread over him, close to his face. A voice seemed to emanate from it, saying,

"Matt Daniels... I will come for you..."

♤♡♢♧

Matt Daniels bolted upright, his body covered in sweat. When he realized he that it was just a dream, he fell back in to his pile of hay, panting heavily.

Matt Daniels was 15 years old. He lived in the Kingdom of Palasia, ruled by the mighty King Harrison. He ran errands for the local townspeople to make money, and he had trained himself to be quite good with anything that could be used for stabbing and slashing.

He was also homeless.

His house had been burned down when he was seven, killing his parents in the process. The local knights had not been able to find who had started the fire. Luckiky for Matt, the townspeople liked him, so he wasn't sent off to an orphanage. Instead, he helped them with their daily chores.

Matt got up, groaned, and stretched. He walked passed Farmer Mack's chickens and cows and into the bright morning sun.

Farmer Mack and his wife, Debbie had been Matt's figurative parents since the fire. They took him in and raised him the best he could. Years of helping Mack on the farm had made Matt muscular and lean and both Mack and Debbie made sure Matt was a polite and courteous young man. Matt had a lot to thank both of them for.

Matt went into the small house and grinned, smelling the frying of bacon and eggs. He loved bacon. He walked into the kitchen, where Debbie was cooking the eggs and bacon and Mack was reading the newspaper and drinking a cup of black coffee.

"Good morning, dear," Debbie said cheerfully as she ruffled Matt's shaggy, black hair. Debbie was a petite woman with an always smiling face. She loved to cook and bake, and spent most of her time doing just that. Matt knew he could usually find a piece of her homemade coffee cake waiting for him after a long day on the farm.

"Good morning, everyone," Matt said, sitting down at the table. He poured himself a cup of coffee, added milk and sugar, and took a long drink.

"Is there anything I can do for you before I go to town?" Matt asked as Debbie brought him his breakfast.

"I'm so glad you asked," Debbie replied. She went over to the kitchen and brought back a list and some money. "Can you go to the market and come back with these?" she asked him. "I need them for my new special coffee cake recipe."

"What's so special about it?" Mack asked, looking up. He loved Debbie's coffee cake almost as much as Matt did.

Debbie smiled. "It's a secret. I'll give you a hint: it has chocolate chips in it."

"CHOCOLATE CHIPS!" Mack and Matt yelled at the same time, standing up suddenly. "YES!!" they shouted, standing up and high-fiving each other.

Mack shouted at Matt, "Well, what are you waiting for? Get the woman what she needs so she can bake her damn cake!!"

Matt ran out the door, letting put a joyous whoop. Debbie shook her head. Men will be men, she thought as she started to clean up.

♤♡♢♧

Matt strolled through the market, whistling as he picked up them ingredients Debbie had asked him to get. He paid when he was done, and started his way home.

As he walked on the main road, he was abruptly pushed from the side. All thoughts of coffee cake disappeared from his mind and he looked for who had pushed him. He rolled his eyes when he saw who it was.

It was Manuel. The Town Ass, as he and Mack called him. Manuel was an all-around jerk, who did whay he wanted and not caring who he hurt. He was also very lazy and what some adults called 'husky'. Today he was with a bunch of his wannabes, who were following him like ducks in a pond.

"Well well well, if it isn't the little errand boy," Manuel sneered. His cronies laughed behind him. "Are you going to pick some weeds and garden later, like a little girls?" he asked.

"So what if I am?" Matt said in a plain, dull tone. "At least I don't sit on my ass all day and grow fat." He turned and walked away as Manuel's face grew red as a tomato.

"Yuh-yuh-you'll pay for that!" he spluttered. "I'll get you back, I swear!"

Matt snorted and rolled his eyes again. He continued to walk away from the market. He could deal with people like Manuel. Yes, people like him were pains in necks, but they were bearable.

A loud cracking noise disturbed Matt from his thoughts. He jumped up, his breath caught. He looked down and saw that he had stepped on a twig.

The dream that he had had the night before came back to him. He shuddered and began to walk again. It was just a dream, Matt thought. It was just a dream.

《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》

Hey guys, thank you for reading my book! I'd really appreciate it if you guys would help me out and review my work.

Don't forget to like!

~WorldWriterSDiMaggio


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 4440
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:06 am
View Likes
Ashnirai wrote a review...



Hey there, Ashnirai here for a quick review.

Just a quick heads up, you've accidentally posted the chapter twice. It's pretty easy to fix though, I'm assuming you know how to edit your posts? (If not, there's a header to the right that says 'Tools', under which there's an edit button.)

Anyways, onwards to the review!

After a quick read through of your chapter, I noticed that you use a lot of short sentences. There's nothing wrong with short sentences - they can be very effective when writing fast-paced action scenes, and writers often use them to put emphasis on a point or to convey urgency - however a problem arises when too many are used in a row. It disrupts the flow of the text, bringing the reader out of their immersion in your story and making them too aware that it is just that - a story - that they're reading.

I should probably also mention that short 'sentences' don't necessarily have to be separated by a full stop; they can also be multiple short clauses joined together with commas. Basically, I'm referring to any time there's a significant break in your writing, or when your mental voice takes a breath when reading.

For example:

He was lost. (break) He was in a forest, (break) but it was dark out, (break) and he had no sense of direction. (break) He turned slowly in a circle, (break) his heart thumping in his chest.

In the above text, I've marked in where all the breaks are. See how you have five breaks in just 31 words? It makes the paragraph a little too staccato to read, and the cadence of the text is lost. What you want is a good ratio between short sentences and longer, more detailed sentences that run on for a little longer so as to establish a flow. Of course, you don't want long-winded sentences either, but I don't think that's a problem you'll be having.

So what should you do?

This links with the second point I want to make, and that's show and not tell.

I know, I know, you've probably heard this a thousand times prior, but that doesn't make the point less valid. What you're currently doing is just flatly telling us what's going on without giving us too many details. See:
He was lost.

and
He was in a forest

and
it was dark out

and
he had no sense of direction.

Compare that with:
Darkness pressed in on all sides, an inky veil draped over the twisted mass of roots underfoot and snagged in the branches just above his head. He turned around slowly, heart thumping in his chest as he peered into the depths of night, hoping for a light, a recognisable sign; anything. But no. Nothing. He was still lost.

See how instead of just telling the reader that it was dark, I showed it using a metaphor? See how it adds more detail, more atmosphere, into the scene? Admittedly, I'm not the best writer so my example is a little sloppy, but there are plenty of resources in the YWS forums talking about how to describe things, and on showing and not telling, etc that are much better than my ramblings here.

Another example is:

It was Manuel. The Town Ass, as he and Mack called him. Manuel was an all-around jerk, who did whay he wanted and not caring who he hurt. He was also very lazy and what some adults called 'husky'. Today he was with a bunch of his wannabes, who were following him like ducks in a pond.

Pretty much all that I've highlighted in red isn't really needed. You're telling me about how Manuel is a jerk, but your next lines

"Well well well, if it isn't the little errand boy," Manuel sneered. His cronies laughed behind him. "Are you going to pick some weeds and garden later, like little girls?" he asked.

show me that he's a jerk and a bully. Your readers are smart and they want to be treated as such; they'll be able to deduce through Manuel's actions and words that he's a bully without you having to explicitly state it. Thus, the earlier telling of his character is unnecessary. Similarly, for the 'lazy' and 'not caring who he hurt' characteristics, show us that through some sort of incident or event.

(For the record, I do like how you've described his minions as following him like ducklings ouo)

Showing instead of telling can also help solve the first point I mentioned: that of your short sentences. When you're showing something, when you're describing things in greater detail and you add depth into your scenes, you'll soon find that short sentences are wholly inadequate for much of your descriptive needs. Longer sentences will start coming naturally when combined with more details.

That said, you shouldn't just abandon short sentences. What you want is a good ratio of short to long sentences - that way, you'll begin to develop a natural cadence in your writing that draws your readers in instead of being jarring.

Overall, the best advice I can give you is to read your work out aloud. That should give you a sense of where all your pauses are and how your sentences flow. As for showing and not telling, go through your work for each "something was something" and think about how you could convey that through action/description instead of telling.

Writing is a skill you'll develop and improve upon the more you practice. It's awesome that you're interested in/enjoy writing enough that you're writing an entire novel - you'll definitely find yourself becoming much more aware of writing pitfalls and how to avoid them as you go on.

Keep up the good work and happy writing! <3

~Ashnirai




sjdwrite says...


Thank you so much this helps a lot.!



Ashnirai says...


You're welcome ouo. I'm always happy to be of help.



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:35 am
EternalRain wrote a review...



Hey! It's nearly a month late, but welcome to YWS.

This is a good start to the story so far! Though I'm not much of a fan of dream starts (due to it being a bit overused), it still pulled me in! I'm excited to see if this was really a dream. Or how this will tie into the plot.

I like the main character so far. Matt seems pretty interesting and it makes me happy that he actually sticks up to the local bully! Usually the bully has power in stories but Matt totally crushed it.

I thought the "background" info about Matt/Debbie/Mack felt a little forced. For example:

Matt Daniels was 15 years old. He lived in the Kingdom of Palasia, ruled by the mighty King Harrison. He ran errands for the local townspeople to make money, and he had trained himself to be quite good with anything that could be used for stabbing and slashing.


Incorporating his age into a different part feels more smooth; for instance there could be some age requirement on some event or maybe he signs up for something. Background info like this, especially at the beginning, usually can be added in somewhere else. Also, cramming everything in the first chapter is absolutely not necessary, so don't worry about adding in all the details about Matt (age, height, family origin) because chances are, there are better ways to add them in. Another example could be his origin - maybe instead of flat out telling the readers of his parents' deaths, a nightmare could work or maybe something the Manuel says to make him recall faint memories.

It was Manuel. The Town Ass, as he and Mack called him. Manuel was an all-around jerk, who did whay he wanted and not caring who he hurt. He was also very lazy and what some adults called 'husky'. Today he was with a bunch of his wannabes, who were following him like ducks in a pond.


I love this description of Manuel, though. Wonderfully done, especially the fourth sentence, haha. ;)

Also, just thought I should point it out: I think you've accidentally copied the chapter twice (it's repeated two times in here. Just a little thing!).

I hope this helps! If you post future chapters, please let me know because I would love to read them.

~EternalRain




sjdwrite says...


OK thank you!



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 492
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:50 am
Samk642 wrote a review...



Samk642 popping in!!!

To begin, I like the whole premise of this story so far. I enjoy the set up and was intrigued to learn more of the MC Matt. In whole, good world building.

O.K. now to the meat of the subject. Some things that I think that could be revised are, a minor typo here and there (really only one or two words, we all make mistakes, myself included). Now, I won't really get into any other sort of Grammar, due to me being horrible at it, but my biggest bone to pick is Mack. You wrote that he and Debbie raised Matt, but from the limited interaction I see with Matt and Mack, it seems to be more of a pals type thing, not mentor to student. (I do like the breaking of the mold, if that was what you intended though) also what Mack and Matt both label Manuel as, it doesn't fit in my head with Mack. You had said in describing Mack that he taught manners to Matt, so doesn't seem that he would be so lewd with Matt.

Final little note on my critique is that you repeat your story twice.

All in all, I loved it, it seems well written, can't wait for chapter 2, and I hope you enjoy where the story takes you.

Samk642 out!!!




sjdwrite says...


Thank you! You're comment on Mack helps a lot!



Samk642 says...


Glad it did! As you see from the other two people who reviewed, I not the best reviewer. [Also have your problem of short choppy sentences. :)]




I do not use my siblings as the cleaning equipment.
— Tuckster