z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The single key

by Wolfi


From across the waves

It's there, I know, as

the salty blue air that touches my lips and

particles of oxygen await their passage:

the spacious lungs, the hundreds of arteries, ongoing

as shards of the setting sun float in the water.

.

From across the room

I can hear it through the wall

the volume is at twelve but

I can recognize the soundtrack: 

tiny vibrations through the stirrup, the anvil, ongoing

as smoky clouds embrace the moon.

.

From across the field

I can see it through the fence

it's hidden among the ants and rolly pollies but

I know it's there:

a mourning dove, a flickering candle, ongoing

as leaves of fire die away.

.

From across the silent room

across the autumn-touched trail

swept with the salty wind

and waiting within:

there's just one key that can fit in all

the keyholes.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:53 pm
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here for the Big Review.

If this review makes no sense, please bear with me, as I am rather sleep-deprived at the moment.

This poem speaks to me rather strongly. I believe that there is an answer to everything, a complete worldview, so to speak, though I don't think we could achieve it in this lifetime. But I think we have to try, and I am well acquainted with the feeling that while there is an answer, it seems just out of reach - we know something is there but we can't make it out.

Overall, I agree with a lot of what Rydia said in her review - the imagery is rather disjointed, and it might be good to stick to more natural themes. Perhaps instead of hearing the music from a recording, you could have it actually be from someone playing the music (on a piano or something) in another room. If you do that, the person playing could be interpreted as God, who has all the answers, which would tie in to the message of this poem.

Flow and other Technical Things

From across the waves

It's there, I know, as

the salty blue air that touches my lips and

particles of oxygen await their passage:

the spacious lungs, the hundreds of arteries, ongoing

as shards of the setting sun floats in the water.


1. The "from across the ___" form works well in the rest of the poem, but I don't think it works here, mostly just because the second line doesn't fit grammatically with it. Perhaps "From across the waves / I search - it's there, I know..." That gives you the verb that is missing.

2. I'd recommend taking out "that" in the third line. It may not be quite what you mean, but it really tripped me up the first time through. It makes the next line read awkwardly.

3. I don't think the fourth line works very well. Perhaps describe more what the lungs are doing, and relate it back to the sea so that everything ties together more. You could compare the rhythmic breathing to the tide or something.

4. In the last line, "floats" should be "float," as "shards" is plural.


From across the room

I can hear it through the wall

the volume is at twelve but

I can recognize the soundtrack:

tiny vibrations through the stirrup, the anvil, ongoing

as smoky clouds embrace the moon.

I really like this stanza. Aside from what I said above, really the only thing I have to say is that the last line feels rather disconnected from the rest of the poem.


From across the field

I can see it through the fence

it's hidden among the ants and rolly pollies but

I know it's there:

a mourning dove, a flickering candle, ongoing

as leaves of fire die away.


I also really like this stanza, though I think you could explain the imagery of the last lines a bit more. Why would it be mourning?

I'd get rid of the "it" in the second line - I think it makes the first and second lines flow better. You could also put either a comma or a period at the end of the second line to end the thought.


From across the silent room

across the autumn-touched trail

swept with the salty wind

and waiting within:

there's just one key that can fit in all

the keyholes.


This stanza was intended to tie up the other 4, and it does that pretty well. Minor quibbles:
1. Why describe the room as silent? I thought you could hear music playing.
2. What trail are you talking about? Why not just refer back to the field?

I like your closing lines - I think they're a good, powerful sentiment that wraps up the meaning of the poem.

Anyway, I hope this helped a bit. If anything was confusing, just ask and I'll clarify. :) Have a good day!




Wolfi says...


Thank you, Youandnovels!!! I'm happy to get a review on this work from a believer like yourself, that's for sure! Excellent advice. For being sleep deprived this was a pretty awesome review! Thank you so much! Oh, and a mourning dove is an actual species of dove. :)



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:32 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello! Thought I'd choose something recent :)

Specifics

1. The first line's not really grabbing me. It's a bit plain and there are a lot of poems out there which start out bY describing the sea and nothing really seems to happen in the first stanza. The images are very disconnected and I'm not sure that 'ongoing' tells us much. Maybe pushing would be better and would help reflect the motion of the waves, but by the end of this stanza, we've basically got someone stood at the edge of the sea at sunset breathing in sea air.

2. I like the imagery in the second stanza more - it's more original and more 'real'. There's a sense of atmosphere and while I don't feel like much information is conveyed by it, there's less disconnection and I think it worked well, except for perhaps the reference to the moon. That felt out of place. The rest of the stanza is very technology based and the sudden switch back to nature felt forced. Like you were trying to create a link to the first stanza, but it's tenuous at best. If you're trying to merge the technology and the nature themes, you need to do it throughout the stanza. Maybe instead of 'hear it through the wall' you can have things like 'hear it down the vine'. I'm also not sure about the references to 'stirrup' and 'anvil'. It's nice to have the biology theme still ticking through but maybe choose at least one which is more recognised or start with ear drum to give people less familiar with these terms a way in.

3. The repetition is growing on me but a lot of this is still really vague and the imagery jumps around a lot. What are the rolly pollies in the third stanza? Hay bales? Something else? I really can't put an image to that and 'mourning dove', 'flickering candle' - these are too typical. They scream 'I am a religious poem'. They also don't belong in the field. I feel like if you're going to go for these little snap-shot stanzas with intense imagery then I need to be able to really feel these locations, to smell the grass and hear the wind whip through trees. If you can make the sense of searching for something strong enough, that might be enough to connect them all, or a common factor like the wind threading through each scene but you've got too much at the moment. Nature, biology, religious imagery. You need to choose what's more important and create a focus.

4. I feel like 'the silent room' is too much a repeat of the room and what is the autumn touched trail if it's in a room? That sounds like like something which would be in the woods. The key is also an over-used image and I'm not sure you're doing something new enough here. Your second stanza is definitely my favourite.

There's some good descriptions in this poem but the overall feeling is one of disconnection, which is strange for a poem which is about God and how he connects everything. I think you need to aim for less mystery and more connectivity, but like I said, you've got some nice images, you just need to find a way to focus them.

All the best!

~Heather




Wolfi says...


Thank you, Rydia!!! Poetry isn't my favorite, for sure... It's hard for me to get all my ideas into a format that has rhythm and style and a connection, like you said. Thanks!



Rydia says...


You made a good try at it! Poetry can be hard to get the hang of, though I think I actually struggle more with prose but poetry was the first thing I wrote :)



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3874
Reviews: 158

Donate
Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:02 pm
View Likes
Corncob wrote a review...



Feelings I got from this: Vague. Very vague. And loosely spiritual in a way that transcends me. I may be completely off mark here, but the key you were talking about the entire poem seemed to me a bit like....God? Who knows, I'm just speculating here.
Anyway, let's start in with some constructive criticism. The repetition of always having that line with "et cetera" at the end. I didn't like that. At first, before I realized you were using it in a pattern, I thought it was out of place and very clinical. When I continued reading and saw the pattern, I continued to dislike it. To me, it adds a sort of mocking feel to everything you are describing, as if you are talking about cliches that you're not going to bother to elaborate on because everybody already knows how they end.

I can feel its presence


The following piece of advice might be completely useless to you because it may not apply, but if you are talking in some way about God, I suggest changing the "its" in this line to "Its" with a capital I, because shouldn't God's name always be capitalized? This goes for all the times you use it in the poem in such way.

the numerous arteries


Like the use of "et cetera", the word numerous felt clinical and distant from the deep descriptions you use in this poem. Numerous just seems so...unemotional. Maybe a different choice of words, perhaps even one that does not refer to how many arteries are in one's body, but perhaps describing an individual artery?

and I see the setting sun.


This feels bland to me. I feel like you could've added so much more to this, instead of just using a line that's been used numerous times before. It just made me feel like you were bottling all the great descriptions you use further into this poem up, and it sort of put me off of the poem.

From across the silent room

across the autumn-touched trail

swept with the salty wind

and waiting within:

there's only one key that can fit in all

the keyholes.


I didn't particularly enjoy this last stanza. It didn't feel like a very powerful ending to me, nor did it bring anything new to the table. I understand the last two lines were basically what the whole poem was about, but I felt like they were very basic and didn't have much meaning. Before these final lines, you talked about said key in more symbolic ways, in less blunt ways. In the last two lines, you simply say outright what the whole poem is trying to say, and I feel like it takes away the whole artistic element you had going beforehand.

I actually disagree with what ashtheawesome said before me; I like the "from across" repetition. It adds a distance between you, a mortal human being, and this great, spiritual thing you speak of (presumably God).
The more I read this poem, the more I notice the patterns you painstakingly keep to, and I think these pull the poem together and really makes it stick in my mind. However, like I mentioned above, some of these patterns I feel like you could use to shake, like the use of "et cetera".

From across the field

I can see it through the fence

it's hidden among the ants and rolly pollies but

I know it's there:


I really like these lines, especially the ants and rolly pollies line, but I believe it's spelled "roly poly". These lines really felt powerful to me, and emphasized how God is everywhere, not just some great presence above us. (Again, this is how it felt to me; no idea if this is what you were going for.)

Snazzy poem you have here, and, at times, I felt like I could really connect, which is always something to go for with your audience. Great job.

Overall rating: 7.5/10
Keep writing!
+1




Wolfi says...


Yep, God and the Holy Spirit is the key that explains everything. :D Nice job.

Ahhh, thank you so much!!! This is extremely helpful. Extremely. What you said about "et cetera" is very, very, true. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thank youuuu!!



Corncob says...


I never got a notif for this for some absurd reason >_> But I'm glad I helped, and I reread your poem and it looks awesome!!!



Wolfi says...


Haha awww thank you! <3



User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 71

Donate
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:06 am
View Likes
ashtheawesome12401 wrote a review...



Hey there I am here to review yay! Okay let's get started
First of all I really liked this poem.The detail put in this was very good and I salute you for it.I also like how the stanzas/verses are six lines each time. Good job.

Here's some stuff I did not like however
I didn't like how you started each verse with "from across". It gets a little old after a while.Try mixing it up sometime. I also did not like how the rhythm was. You gotta keep rhythm.Cause like it's really important.I was also confused, why did you finally mention the key at the end. I am very confused as for why you did that. Like this was a well written poem, but I would just like to know why you chose that?

Anyway this was really good. I must totally read more from you! Have a great day!
~Ash




Wolfi says...


Thanks for the feedback, awesome Ash! This was pretty much my first time writing a free-verse poem so yeah, I had difficulty finding any sort of rhythm. "The key" is the essence of the poem, and it symbolizes something. I'm not going to tell you though. ;) Thank you so much!





Haha it's okay. I think I figured it out :D.
But aye you did an awesome job!




I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil