z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone Violence

Copper Dust: Chapter 3

by Wolfi


- A   D U S T I N G   O F   S N O W -

I don’t know why the buffalo came to Ashcroft that day. It wasn’t common for them to wander into such a region of hills and valleys. Perhaps the old man up in the clouds just wanted to give me a consolation gift after taking the souls of my mother and sister away.

Ashcroft sprung up as a mining town, and my folks and I were swept along with hundreds of others with the promise that the land was rich with silver deposits, or, in my mother’s case, rich with other people. She wanted to be protected, I suppose. She didn’t like the cabin she had raised us in, and from what I can remember, I don’t blame her. It was small and isolated, much too close to Indian threats and wild beasts, and filled to the brim with bitter memories of my father.

I think that Bill Marr used to be a nice guy. A while back, when my mother was about to surrender herself to men and their money, he took her up himself and married her. He gave her two children and that cabin but not much else, save for beatings and cruelty. So much for kindness.

She didn’t confide anything in me - about the pain he gave her, I mean - until she was on her deathbed with typhus and wanted me to know a bit more about my father. The memories I had of him are hazy, since he left her right after Ellie was born. The stories she told me about him only left me feeling empty.

By the time the time the buffalo came to Ashcroft, most inhabitants had left. The silver deposits had been exhausted, and as a result hardly any miners still remained. Most were back in Aspen or some other Colorado mining town. The rest of us - shopkeepers, bar owners, fatherless families, and even people like old Hezekiah - were growing restless. Saloons were abandoned. The general store had too many supplies. The jailhouse was usually empty, and by the way he scratched his head I could tell the sheriff was bored.

So when the buffalo came, the over-zealousness of Ashcroft’s handful of inhabitants scattered the herd like a clap of lightning. Hezekiah and I rode up to the edge of the church, where he sent me off to chase the buffalo on my own.

"Aren't you going to come too?" I asked him.

He shook his head but smiled. "I'm an old man, Dirk. My hands are always sore, my fingers and joints all creaky like old floorboards. See here?" He showed me how his knuckles could barely fit into the trigger. "Unless I sawed the trigger guard off, my shooting days are over. Now, the buffalo aren't about to stay put. You hurry on and don't worry about me."

I was cautious when I first started out, so instead of racing after the wildest ones I followed a subdued buck. After a few minutes of hobbling away from me he finally wandered to the side and collapsed on his knees. I dismounted and held the rifle in front of my chest instead of killing him right away. I wasn’t pitying the noble creature; knowing my arrogant self I was probably just basking in the moment of my first kill.

I inched towards him to make sure I could get the best shot, picturing his thick copper hide skinned and hung on Hezekiah’s wall. I could see the whites of his eyes and the red on his flank as his massive woolen chest heaved with raspy breaths. But the fire of life was still in him, and I know he wasn’t ready to give up. He snorted angrily and did his best to paw at the ground, unearthing another layer of frozen dust beneath the snow whenever I stepped closer.

Finally, I got a clear shot at his head, and like the fall of a magnificent pine into a blanket of soft leaves, his body crumpled into the snow. I gave him a pat on his shoulder, then I left him there, like all the other carcasses that littered the otherwise pristine parchment of snow. I think I expected to come back to that very buffalo and take his very hide, but with all the others that would have been like finding a needle in a haystack.

In any case, the rest of the herd was well ahead and there was more killing to do, so I spurred Rocky forward, weaving between fallen buffalo with a tingling of excitement in my blood.

Almost instantly, I spotted a group of five buffalo veer off from the herd and stumble into a shallow basin. A rider behind me with either a faster horse or better experience - the latter, most likely, even though I noticed he was young - saw them too and galloped past me, reaching the basin first and shooting at the buffalo before I could. Angry that he got the first shot, I gritted my teeth and took aim.

"Wait!" the boy yelled, throwing up his arm. "God dammit, wait!"

"What?" Normally I would spit a curse back at him but the tone in his voice worried me, and his face was awfully white.

"Think I shot the wrong thing," he whispered.

"What?" I asked again. I glanced back towards the buffalo but I couldn’t see most of them due to a protective line of snow-brushed pine trees. "What in tarnation are you saying? There's just buffalo."

He shuddered. "No, no there ain't." He slapped his horse's back and galloped into the basin. The skittish buffalo parted ways and soon the boy was out of my sight.

I tapped my spurs into Rocky’s side and continued forward cautiously. We rounded the bend of trees and I saw that there weren’t only five or so buffalo in the basin - there were close to twenty, cornered against a steep snowy slope of pine trees. The young boy and I seemed to be the only men there, but with a start I noticed a skittish chestnut horse weaving and bucking between the buffalo, with no rider on its back. Finally it broke from the mass of brown bodies and dashed towards the exit, ears pinned against its skull and the whites of its eyes flashing.

"Woah, woah!" I leaped off of Rocky and waved my hands to stop the horse, but it was all to no use. The skittish thing skedaddled like a rattlesnake to its hole.

Fairly concerned, I took up Rocky's reins and edged towards the cornered buffalo, many of which were beginning to dart out of the basin like the horse, and found the young boy kneeling in the snow, next to a motionless body. I swallowed. It was a body of a man.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:28 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I saw that you posted this chapter while I was stalking your wall and I figured I'd come check it out. I went back and read through the first two chapters so I'm all caught up. There are so many great reviews for them that I didn't feel I could add anything constructive.

The other reviewers have mentioned this already, but I wanted to give my two cents on the opening of this chapter. The transition from the last chapter to this is backtracked a bit. It's mentioned in the last chapter that Derick hadn't seen the buffalo in such a long time. Repeating at the beginning all that information about them and what happens in the town because of it isn't quite important. At least not at the moment. If this had gone through Derick's mind when he first saw the animals it would've fit well. By this point though, he's already heading off to the animals. I was expecting a smooth transition to the hunt.

The part about Hezekiah being too old to hunt threw me off. There hasn't been any mention of his age before now, unless I missed something, so I was surprised to find that he's older. It was an odd excuse as well. I mean, Derick is friends with him, right? Of course he'd know Hezekiah wouldn't be able to hunt with him. But why couldn't he just ride alongside Derick? I feel like you were trying to give us some information about Hezekiah, just at the wrong time. There was a greater opportunity to expand upon Hezekiah in the previous chapter.

Okay I know this part is going back a chapter, but I didn't want to give you such a short review on either chapter. The funeral is a bit too mysterious for my liking. I'm all for withholding information from the readers in order to create suspense, but at times it's not needed. From the context clues I decided the funeral was for a parent and a child. What doesn't quite make sense though is why Derick was so upset about it all. There's no context clues I found for that reason. As it's written now, I really have no reason to feel sympathy for him. The scene falls short of what it could be. Just a bit more detail would help immensely.

One thing to remember as you continue on is that this a story. It's being written out by Derick yes, but it's still a story. There should be a good balance between story telling and what's written by this man. We're not just reading what he wrote down on a page. If you think about it, there would be considerably less details and such if we were reading it off of what he wrote. The novel wouldn't work as well as a whole. Just be mindful of that. Sometimes there'll have to be details that Derick wouldn't possibly remember, but are important for us to know as readers.

The end here where the boy supposedly shoots the buffalo is a bit confusing to me. Well, there's really only a few things confusing to me. One, where does Derick point the gun after the boy shoots first? I had assumed that it was at the buffalo, but the desperation in the boy's voice made me think Derick was aiming at him. Even just adding "at the buffalo" or "at the boy" would make a world of difference. (I sure hope it's not at the boy. That would just be mean. Why does my brain think up these things?? o.o) Second, the path that the dead man's horse takes wasn't quite clear. I thought the horse was running away from Derick and the boy when really it was running toward them. That could use a bit of polishing as well.

One final thing. It's mentioned that the buffalo don't usually come around, so the people of Ashcroft jumped on the opportunity. But where are all these people when Derick gets there? I know there's more than just Derick and this boy chasing around the Buffalo. Remember, character's surroundings is just as important as what's happening to them. It also helps fill out the story around that character.

That cliffhanger though. I love it! When the boy said he hit the wrong one I was sure he meant he wasn't aiming for Derick's buffalo. I never expected it to be a person he shot. Crazy.

Do tag me when you post more :)

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




Wolfi says...


Aw, thank you Noelle! This chapter needs a lot of work, doesn't it? :P Thank you for explaining all the points where you were confused, that'll be invaluable when I come back to edit. Thank youuu!



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:55 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello Wolfie!! :D

I'll admit that for most of this I wasn't sure where it was going and what the point was going to be. We learned some more about the MC and there was this hunt and the writing was very pretty but that was that and it felt a little flat and unimportant. But then! Dead body!! So now I'm really excited to read on and see what's going to happen with this dead body situation.

We talk about this every time - you're writing is beautiful and poetic and rich and you're so good and it's not fair. :p

All of that is still very much true, but I think there is also a slight down-side to your style. I touched on this a little earlier, but I think the prose moves slowly. I'm not wading through molasses but I'm also not on the edge of my seat wondering what's going to happen next. It has a very literary feel which is not a bad thing if that's what you're going for. I think it's just something to be mindful of. You're capturing us with your writing, but I also want to be captured by the plot and the characters and to me, the pace isn't quite getting me there yet. (But obviously it's still very early).

I always have a hard time coming up with specifics for you, but I will try! :P

It wasn’t common for them to wander into such a region of hills and valleys.

This felt a bit wordy to me. I feel like you could do "region" OR "hills and valleys" but you don't need both. If you kept the later, you would need to change some wording around before it to have it make sense.

Ashcroft sprung up as a mining town,

This paragraph all the way to
The stories she told me about him only left me feeling empty.

The end of this paragraph is a bit tell-y. It's interesting information and interesting insights into the character so I'm hesitant to say cut it all together. However, I also think it breaks up the flow of the chapter and slows down the prose. Is it critical that we know this information now? Is there a way to simplify this and shorten it up and give us more of this information at a later time?

The jailhouse was usually empty, and by the way he scratched his head I could tell the sheriff was bored with himself.

I don't think you need the "with himself".

By the time we caught up with everyone, Rocky and I were already far from the town, so far that we couldn’t see any buildings save the church and the graveyard.

Is he hunting alone? I would assume Hezekiah would be with him because he was the one that told the MC about the hunt. Where is Hezekiah?

In any case, the rest of the herd was well ahead and there was more killing to do, so to the ringing of the gunshots, the joyous cries, the bleating calves, and the moaning beasts, I spurred Rocky forward, weaving between fallen buffalo with a tingling of excitement in my blood.

This sentence gets a bit long and wordy.

I'm kind of wondering how this boy knew there was a body in the basin. Did he see the person go down? Did he fire the shot?

I'll leave things there for now. (Hope this was at least a bit helpful :p). Looking forward to the next part! (And is there ever going to be anymore Ordadus??) :D




Wolfi says...


Ah Carlito, thank you!!! You have the most helpful reviews ever. :)

I was working on the background for the MC and I stuck a big paragraph of it in here, but yes, I think you're right - all this information can wait. For this first draft it'll stay here but when once I get further down the line I'll sprinkle the info in as we go. Info dumps are no fun. :(

Hezekiah isn't there because he's old. I never really thought about him going but yeah, you're right, why shouldn't he be there? I'll insert a better explanation.

Thank you for all your splendid advice. I have a lot to think about!

Oh! And Ordadus. I've been planning the new draft a lot. Is going to be different. Simpler perspective, no prologue, and a more... realistic plot. No falling out of the sky in the first chapter (that always embarrassed me). I've been working on Copper Dust as a side project, but Ordadus is my main goal. Thank you for supporting me! :)



Carlito says...


You're so welcome!! I love reading your stuff! :D



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 3643
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:19 pm
View Likes
Ronald559 wrote a review...



I think that Bill Marr used to be a nice guy. A while back, when my mother was about to surrender herself to men and their money, he took her up himself and married her. He gave her two children and that cabin but not much else, save for beatings and cruelty. So much for kindness.


As always I have these suggestions.

He gave her two children, and that cabin (state where for ex.) in Brisby that he built himself. He beat on her sometimes, and she said that God was just testing his life. Talked about some kind of inner kindness buried deep within a soul. I don't know that she was wrong but I don't think God would get someone beating on their wife the way Marr did.



I liked your chapter this time around. Meaning I had less things to point out. It was a good chapter all around mostly. I think you need to blend the backstory to your character with the actual events happening better. It kind of feels like you jump from one place to another without any consideration to the flow the reader has. This isn't to say it's bad or something like that. I think it's good. Just make sure you don't lose the flow. Imagine listening to a song you like and every once in a while it skips a beat or goes off-key. You like it but it would be better if it all stayed in the same rhythm. I like how you tell the story. It's a telling, and it seems very real. You have a strong voice. At the end though it seemed sort of out of character for the main POV to swallow hard at the sight of a dead man. He seems like a psychopath to be honest. Killing animals the way he does. Watching them die sort of gives him joy. If he happens on a dead mans body that shouldn't get him nervous.
He should describe this body the way he describes the white tail buck he shot. Just my thought on that. His reaction was strange to me. Interesting stuff going on. Add more to the end. 1000 words is not a reason to end it right there.

Good work with the chapter.
—Ronald




Wolfi says...


Thank you, Ronald! Your advice about the 1000 words made me laugh.xD I know it's not a good reason, but I was tired and I might as well leave you all with a bit of a cliffhanger. I agree with you about his reaction and I loved your flowy-ness advice. Thank you!




Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash