z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Yesterday

by Wolfi


A/N: This is my entry for Elinor's Beatles Song Contest, based on the song of the same title. If you're not familiar with the song (how dare you), you might want to check out the lyrics so you can understand where I got some of my inspiration from! Although I used every single word I could for this to still count for flash fiction, I'm not super proud with this and it needs a lot of work. Enjoy, nonetheless!

He is a weathered Dutch man, weighed down and creased with wrinkles not so much because of age but because of sorrow and pain. On a run-down Holland dock, he rolls his wheelchair over the salt-bleached boards and stops close to the edge, the rim of the wheels bumping against the railing. The North Sea is dark in the morning, but he relaxes in his theatre seat and watches as hues of blue creep from the east. The light brings him hope, and he thinks that perhaps finally he might catch some sleep without fear…

Tick, tock.

He was a lovesick Dutch man, dressed sharply in a crisp soldier’s uniform which bore the salty tears of his sweetheart on its shoulder. On an eastbound train, he took a quiet window seat apart from his boisterous comrades and pulled up the screen so he could watch the Holland scenery as the engine chugged along. The fields were beautiful in the early morning mist as the windmills caught the first rays of gold, but he could hardly enjoy them, last night’s bewildering farewell a relentless ache in his chest.

“It’ll only be a couple months. Don’t cry so, lieveling. I’ll be back by Easter Sunday, I promise. I won’t even be fighting.” With his thumb, he brushed away a strand of hair that was sticking to her wet cheek. “I’m just guarding prisoners. Silly ol’ prisoners. What is it—are you afraid that I’ll never come back?”

She shook her head. But the desperation in her glassy eyes and the utter, complete silence of her voice—had she spoken but one word that night?—kept him rooted to the ground, even when another soldier called out for him to hurry.

He grabbed her by the shoulders. “Lieveling? What is it? What aren’t you telling me?”

Still she didn’t answer - she never did. He called out her name and tried to grab her wrist as she turned and fled, but in another moment she had disappeared behind the corner.

“What’s wrong with her?” a soldier asked.

If he spoke, he knew emotion would get the best of him. Already, tears of frustration, confusion, and foreboding stung his eyes, so he balled his outstretched hand into a fist and walked past the soldier wordlessly.

In the late afternoon, the train spit them out in a foreign land at the foot of a prison. Everything around him was ugly and gray, the soil gravelly and the trees bare. A string of prisoners were at work digging a well. When they saw the fresh wave of guards spill out of the train, the prisoners laughed and a few spat at the ground. He didn’t like the look of them: too at ease, too confident.

Right away, without rest or provision, he was selected out of his comrades, handed a sight rifle, and stationed at a watch tower at the corner of the prison. He had been looking forward to having a warm meal and bedding down after the long journey, and as he climbed each rung of the tower’s ladder, his dreary confusion from earlier morphed into a boiling anger. He felt useless. Any fool could sit in a tower and keep his eyes open. Why should he, of all people, be stuck here in this God-forsaken place while the love of his life was troubled by some unknown grief?

When at last a relief soldier arrived, the sky was dark and he was dizzy and enraged. As he climbed down in the dusk, he didn’t notice the wires wrapped around the tower’s wooden posts and the fence it bordered; even during the day he would have been blind enough with anger.

But, nonetheless, while shuffling irritably to his quarters, he tripped on something and whirled around to glare at it. Miraculously, he had unearthed a taut wire in the sand. He bent down and lifted it curiously, and with growing unease followed it closer and closer back to the tower, when suddenly there was a bright white flash—

When he woke again, someone was dragging him out of the rubble. Lights from lanterns swung in confused arcs over shards of wood, metal, and bright, awful red. The sound, the panic! An incessant ringing assaulted his ears; he screamed for it to stop, to stop!, but he couldn’t even hear himself.

Time went on. The ticking was silent at first, but soon it became muffled—he might have been grateful for that if he were still whole. Now only half a man, he couldn’t feel grateful for anything.

She never visited him, even at the hospital at home, and until the doctor wrote it down on a slate, he didn’t understand why.

"She left the morning of your accident with her family for America. We don’t know how to contact her. She doesn’t know what happened."

Tick, tock.

The ache in his chest is as strong as ever, but at least…

Hah! Blinking from the shards of light that sparkle in the ocean, he grimaces at his pitifulness.

At least on the edge of that dock, he’s as close to yesterday as he can be. Yesterday is where she is, beyond the horizon where sleepy cities are still bathed in darkness, and yesterday is also what was, when he was in love with a girl and she was in love with him, before she had to leave him by her parents’ orders, to a Separatist haven in America.

Almost every morning he comes here, drawn like a magnet to her presence across the sea. Sometimes he brings a paper and ink to write her a letter. Sometimes if the letter isn’t too pathetic, he’ll take it to the post office and deliver it to any given city in America, not knowing in the slightest if she settled, let alone where. Otherwise he’ll ball up the paper and throw it as far as he can into the churning waves.

“Lieveling,” a voice says, very faintly, from behind. “I’m home.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 am
View Likes
Elinor wrote a review...



Hey Wolfical!

Here's your review, as promised! I was very interested to see what you were going to do with this song. I believe Yesterday is one of the most covered songs of all time (there's some 2000+ recorded versions). It's simple enough, but perfectly encapsulates an emotion that everyone has felt at some point or another. Yet, unlike the others I picked for this contest, it doesn't really tell a story, at least not in the same way.

I was very pleased with this. Your writing is very strong, and I think you do a really great job of allowing this to stand on its own while still being true to the central arc of the song. This really reminded me of the central relationship of Casablanca. Have you seen that movie? This clip especially.

I think your first half is stronger than your second. The first read through it was a little hard to follow what was going on. While I understood it eventually, I think there's a lot here you don't need. Actually, if you haven't seen Casablanca, I definitely recommend checking it out some times, as it portrays the juxtaposition between a past and present relationship better than I ever could. Of course, that is a feature and you're just writing a piece of flash fiction, but I still think there's a lot in here you don't need. I think your protagonist is a good character, but I found myself wanting to know more about her and the times they shared together before things went bad.

Still I think you did a really great job. Thank you for your story! Please let me know if you have any questions at all.




Wolfi says...


Thank you Ellie!! I had so many random ideas for what I could do with this song, but then I discovered a video of John making fun of it and singing something along the lines of "I'm not half the man I used to be / cuz now I am a double amputee" and I was like OH I gotta use that. d:

I've seen Casablanca, yes, but it was in a distracted classroom setting and split up into parts so it probably deserves a rewatch. I don't remember it very well. Interesting parallels!

Thank you for the inspiration :)



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 21
Reviews: 19

Donate
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:50 pm
View Likes
Ashley602338 says...



I don't even know how to explain what I was thinking as I read this. The story was deep, and it explained the human soul in under one page. It explained the "human condition" and the hope that one can either give us or take away from us. This made me think there is always sorrow and pain in one's life but it is not what one is because of them but what one does because of them. Again I can't really explain my thoughts or feelings I can just say that this definitely made me think in a new perspective and it made me feel a lot of things.
The ending was very good. I don't have anything negative to say about this.

Great job! :)




Wolfi says...


Thank you so much, Ashley! I appreciate your thoughts and I'm so happy to know that I could in some fashion help you think a different way!

By the way, if you want your comments to count as reviews so that you can get points, remember to change the slider to "yes." If you forget, you can send a PM to a General Lit moderator.



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Thank you for sharing this very interesting story of a man who suffered a terrible accident while in the army and who found that his love had left for the USA on his return home. The story caught and held my attention because of the writer's very skillful ability to vividly describe both feelings and scenery. The following description among many others especially impressed me.

He is a weathered Dutch man, weighed down and creased with wrinkles not so much because of age but because of sorrow and pain.On a run-down Holland dock, he rolls his wheelchair over the salt-bleached boards and stops close to the edge, the rim of the wheels bumping against the railing.


That definitely drew me into the story. I wanted to know how he wound up that way and the details of his suffering.

The story then proceeds by using a flashback. I understood the "tic Tock as a creative way of introducing that flashback but having encountered that "Tic Tock" again and references a to a ticking further on after his accident, I now wonder whether I was wrong. I was also surprised at the end to learn that the woman that he was in love with was a girl still under the authority of her parents. Perhaps a hint of this could be provided at the outset.

At the ending I didn't know whether the girl had returned and called out her own name from behind him or whether he called out her name from behind the note he hurled into the sea.

The muffled ticking as he was recuperating also made me wonder what was going on. The introduction of political situation at the conclusion weakens the story since it introduces an irrelevancy.

Nevertheless, you are a very gifted writer and if you write this well at age 17, then you will reach great heights in the very near future if you pursue writing as your profession-of that I am sure. Looking forward to reading more of your work.




Wolfi says...


Thank you very much for the review, Radrook!! I appreciate your suggestions and your telling me of what went on though your head as you read this.

I'm glad you saw the ending line either way!

Thank you! :)




Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence