z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Final Hunt

by Wolfi


Following the scent,

the sound

of a hundred elk

abound.

.

Pursuing the trail

of tracks,

gray fur shining on

their backs.

.

Searching for a chance

to eat,

to tear into flesh

and meat.

.

Hopeful eyes look to

the north,

joyful tails swish back

and forth.

.

Finally the herd

appears;

the pack's been waiting

these years.

.

Startled elk begin

to run,

now the final hunt’s

begun.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 402
Reviews: 107

Donate
Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:46 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...



The Final Run

Yellow eyes glow in
the dark -
fireflies amid
tree bark.

Antlers already
confused;
fear and heart ready
to fuse.

Searching for a chance
to flee
away with a prance,
get free.

Fearful eyes look to
the south,
A wolf spills drool from
its mouth.

Finally, the pack
pounces;
off the snow the hoof
bounces.

Hungry wolves begin
to hunt,
now the final run's
begun.




Wolfi says...


:o now that is awesome!!! *immense applause* Seriously... cool!

(And thank you for liking all my poems, dear Candy.)



Persistence says...


Thank you for inspiring me! ^^



Wolfi says...


Me, inspiring someone to write poetry?? xD



User avatar
112 Reviews


Points: 2094
Reviews: 112

Donate
Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:41 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...



Heck, that was an awesome poem I think I'm gonna cry OMELET (Another way of saying OMG Oh My Extremely Lovely Eucalyptus Trees) I LOVE WOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Wolfi says...


:o Haha, wow!!! Thank you, Raven! It makes me happy to hear that someone enjoyed it so much! :D



User avatar
293 Reviews


Points: 17344
Reviews: 293

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:23 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter wrote a review...



Image
Fiery Salutations


I never knew you wrote poetry as well... Nevertheless, I cannot think of a better way to earn my third star than to review a poem about wolves from my best friend on YWS.

I can perfectly visualise the hunting scene, but I am baffled as to why this poem is entitled "The Final Hunt". The presence of the word final makes one think of the finality of death, and that may indeed be the case here, but surely it would refer to death of the elk? Instead, the title makes it seem as if it the wolves are to die, for it would be their last hunt before death descends upon them.

I am also confused by your second-to-last stanza; why have the wolves waited so many years for the elk to arrive? I realise elk migrate only twice a year, but then it is six months, not four (at least) times that. Also, if they really had waited that long and had not eaten anything in the meantime, would they not be dead?

As for the technicalities, when first I read your stanzas, I thought they were rather short, but then I became aware of what I thought was a pattern - naturally, the first and third lines of a stanza are long and the second and fourth lines are short, but I had thought that the lines were arranged in four words, then two, then four again, and then two once more, but I soon realised that was my mind deceiving me. Still, it would have been splendid if that had been the case.

It took me a few moments after that to realise that meter is not measured by words, but rather by syllables. You can imagine how foolish I felt, for of course the syllables followed a fixed pattern: 5-2-5-2. The only problem with this meter is the fifth-to-last line: because you had to make it work, the line made a little less sense, which is a pity. Poetry can be a bugger, I know; I've tried myself...

It is still a good poem, and because the topic is about wolves, I like it even more! Do not be fooled though, for if it were a lousy poem and the topic was about wolves, I would have been deeply disappointed and perhaps even irked. Luckily, I know you are a writer of great talent and skill - and versatility as well, it would seem :D - so I need not fear such a dreadful outcome. Well done, my canine friend, and though I know not the result of this competition, I am sure you did well!

(Oh, and thank you for my third star!)

This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.
Image




Wolfi says...


Yay! Your third star!!!! Congrats!
I have never been very good at poetry, in my opinion, but it was fun to write this one. The title "The Final Hunt" was something that I came up with but doesn't really make sense to me either. It could possibly be the final hunt of the season. Maybe the wolves are going to die because of those darn creatures known as humans. It's up to the reader to interpret its meaning, I guess. Although, as the author, I should probably have a definite interpretation of it myself. Poetry is annoying! ;)
I did win first place for this contest, beating Wolfare by (I think) one meager point. We were, unfortunately, the only contestants! :P
Thank you so much! Your profile looks great with those three stars!



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1279
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:40 pm
View Likes
Cynder wrote a review...



I love it!! Cynder happy to review. There arent many things wrong at all with this poem except maybe one thing. I would think about a setting. How big the pack is, (and you dont have to be specific, just general) season, age of the wolves, and maybe add a feeling of the hunt in the wolves eyes. Other than that, which you dont have to do if you dont want to, I think this is a lovely poem.




Wolfi says...


Thanks, buddy! :D I'm not much of a poet, but I try.



User avatar
121 Reviews


Points: 1832
Reviews: 121

Donate
Tue May 20, 2014 1:24 pm
View Likes
WritingWolf wrote a review...



Hey Wolfie! Here with a quick review for your lovely poem.

I really liked the idea of this poem. You had wonderful imagery. It was simple, but beautiful. Thumbs up for that.

I like your use of rhythm and enjambment. It created a kind of start-stop feeling. But you have to be careful with this feel. Most people look for a smooth feel in poetry, so when you step out of that you have to be very careful. I think that you did really well with this. But there are a few places where a line or two will flow more than the other lines, and this kind of disrupts the feel. But you only do that in a few places. Overall your flow was really good.
A lot of people will probably tell you that because it's about nature it should be smooth and beautiful. But you have to keep in mind that it is also about a hunt, which should be fast and startling. So exactly what you want to do for flow is entirely up to you. Personally, I really like how you did the slightly choppy start-stop type thing, because it is unusual and give this poem a unique flare.

One thing you should think about is clarity. Now, I knew before reading this that it is about wolves. But most readers won't.
"gray fur shining on their backs."
Is that referring to the elk or to the POV animal? Your readers are smart, and will be able to piece together that the POV animal is probably some sort of canine. But I do think that a few more hints specific to wolves is needed. I mean, how many animals can you think of that have tails?So while "joyful tails swish back and forth." is helpful (it provides wonderful imagery), it doesn't narrow the spectrum very much. Maybe make some small reference to a "pack"? Or something else that is more specific to wolves.

Also, your stanzas. I had seen this poem before you edited it, when it didn't have stanzas and was all put together in one piece. My guess is that someone told you a poem should have stanzas? Well, that's not completely true. Most poems should have stanzas, but shorter poems don't need them. And I think that this poem is one of the poems that doesn't need them. So whether or not this has stanzas is up to you. Personally, I find that the stanzas are causing me to pause at places I wouldn't have paused in the original formatting, and I don't like it as much. The pauses are not necessary, they make it harder to grasp the start-stop flow, and they divide the imagery up. I found it much better when everything was all together.

I really liked how you ended it. It was very clever on your part to not actually mention the hunt until the end. Great job there. :)


Overall, I think this is a wonderful poem. I hope you do continue writing poetry, because this is really good. Great job!

~WW




Wolfi says...


Hi, Writing Wolf!
Thanks for the awesome review! When I read magpie's version, I thought that it was a lot better. But when I edited it all and read through it again, I didn't like it as much since it was, as you said, about a hunt and meant to be quick paced. I'll play around with it and see what I like best.
Additionally, I see that clarification about the wolves is necessary, so I will try and fix that too.
Thank you!



Wolfi says...


I changed it back :D



User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 3770
Reviews: 231

Donate
Sat May 17, 2014 2:10 pm
View Likes
dogsrule5 says...



I really like this poem. Its really good and I didn't see any mistakes. I hope you keep on writing, beecuase this is aweose.

Love,
Dogsrule5




Wolfi says...


Aww, thanks Dogs!



dogsrule5 says...


No problem.



User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 29221
Reviews: 863

Donate
Sat May 17, 2014 5:07 am
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hi there!

This is pretty good! You've gotten a like out of me!

I do have a few things I'd like to address about the poem, however.

The first thing I'd like to talk about is your line breaks. I really liked your word choice, but it was a little difficult to read because the line breaks made it so choppy and short. This is a very nature-centric poem, so in my mind, it should read beautifully. Combine lines to make them longer. My suggestion is to break it up like this:

Spoiler! :
Following the scent, the sound
of a hundred elk abound.

Following the trail of tracks
gray fur shining on their backs.

Searching for a chance to eat
tearing into flesh and meat.

Hopeful eyes look to the north
joyful tails swish back and forth.

Finally the herd appears
they’ve been waiting all these years.

Startled elk begin to run
now the final hunt’s begun.


It feels much better in couplets to me.
(I added a comma after scent in the first line so it would still make sense ^_^)

Another thing I'd like to address is line similarity. Repetition is an element of poetry, yes, but in a poem this short, it doesn't work that well. Also, you only repeat the line in question once, and it is slightly varied. I suggest you rework either "following the scent" or "following the trail" because they're just too similar, and variety is the spice of poetry.

I suggest you add a few more commas to the ends of lines to improve the flow. And add a semi-colon after "appears" to make those lines grammatically correct. Perhaps parenthesis around "tearing into flesh and meat" might make that a more hypothetical sounding statement than it is now, as the wolves are obviously not actually doing it at that moment. Punctuation is power. ^_^

I hope that this proves useful to you! I really enjoyed reading your poem! With a bit more polishing, it will shine like the gray fur on their backs. :) Happy poeting!




Wolfi says...


Thank you! You've given me great advice and I will definitely edit it to make it better. Your recommendations make perfect sense. Thanks!!!




I AM NOT GOING "FULL COW" ON SOMEBODYYYYYY
— whatchamacallit