Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Teen Fiction

02. The Invisible Kid (continued)

by WinnyWriter

This section is an addition to the end of chapter 2, so it should be read in context between chapters 2 and 3.

-----

"You have something to explain to me," I said to Rachel in between classes the next day. 

"Oh, do I?" she arched an eyebrow.

"Yes. You always talk about how socially awkward you are, but you did pretty well managing a conversation with Jefferson and Skye yesterday at lunch - at least, for as much as they would let you. What's with that?"

Rachel shifted her shoulder bag and looked at the floor. 

"I guess I've just always thought of myself as socially awkward," she shrugged. 

"You seem pretty chill to me," I remarked. 

"Well, thanks," she said, looking up again. "But not everybody has given me a chance. In fact, most people haven't. I'm not pretty and my family doesn't have a lot of money, so my clothes are mostly hand-me-downs and thrift store stuff. I'm not one of the cool kids, so therefore I'm a misfit."

I studied Rachel's even gaze. I was surprised at the resignation in her demeanor, like all that stuff didn't even bother her anymore. 

"Yeah, I get what you're saying," I said finally. I paused thoughtfully for a moment, then asked, "So is that why you think it's so important to given Jefferson and Skye a chance?" 

"You've got it," she grinned. "Now, I've got to hurry so I'm not late for class. See you later!" She waved as she dashed away.

Watching her go, I grunted to myself, "People are stupid."

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
— Noam Chomsky