z

Young Writers Society



Smoke and dust 9 - forest (part 2)

by Willow


He looked at the basket, then up at me. I couldn’t decipher the intense look.

He moved closer to me. No. Closer to the basket which was on my other side.

His arm passed near my waist, where he’d grabbed me before. His face came close to mine, so close I could feel his steady breath.

For a moment I forgot about the girl lying some ten feet away from me. For a moment I forgot about Bevan’s father and his situation. For a moment I forgot about our suspension.

For a moment I thought he was going to kiss me.

Then I blinked and saw him grasping the basket and lifting it toward him, his face passing clear of mine.

I let out a silent sigh. How could I think of kissing at a time like this? What was wrong with me?

I felt my face heating up and scurried toward the spring, telling Bevan I needed a drink. Once my face felt normal I returned, plopping down next to him as he ate. I told him that nothing much was going on in the village. He nodded, devouring a loaf of poppy seed bread.

“It’s kind of cool out here,” he said, starting on a few chicken legs.

“I could bring you a blanket,” I said quickly, stupidly.

He laughed. “No, it’s nice out here. It’s better than back home. I can do whatever I want, as long as I stay clear of the Sage’s Circle.”

“The Sage’s circle?” I asked, feeling my face heat up once again.

“Yeah, all the Sage’s gather round this fountain and discuss the village and stuff.”

“Maybe we should tell them then.” I said, but Bevan shook his head stubbornly.

“No, Magorian’s the only one we can tell,” he said.

I stared at the girl. I didn’t want to tell Bevan about the first time I saw her. What would he think of me? Knowing I ran screaming from this girl when she was only about four years old. He’d hardly flinched.

“So are you gonna tell Magorian when you get back?” he asked, putting the napkin and leftovers back in the basket.

“Guess so.”

This reminded me of the marks around our navels.

“Is yours still there?” I asked, looking pointedly at where his belly button should be.

“Yeah,” he looked down at it.

“I’ve got to go now,” I told him, getting on my knees so I could crawl out.

“Wait,” Bevan said, crawling over to me. Turned around and looked at him.

“Thanks for the food and everything,” he said as he came closer and kissed me on the cheek.

I almost ran through the entrance to avoid him seeing my burning face.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:27 am
Emma wrote a review...



Awww why they no kiss properly?

Im loving it! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was away and had no computer for three days! :( :P




User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 41

Donate
Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:51 am
Willow says...



Thanks guys.
He actually only gave her a peck on the cheek, but there will be more.
Coming soon :wink:




User avatar
323 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 323

Donate
Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:09 pm
hekategirl wrote a review...



Sam wrote:YESSSS

they kissed. Now I get to go give myself a cookie...

Willow, how many times can I say that this is really, really good?


what she said! :-D this is sooooooo incredible Willow!!!!!




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:12 pm
Sam says...



YESSSS

they kissed. Now I get to go give myself a cookie...

Willow, how many times can I say that this is really, really good?





Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic