z

Young Writers Society



Smoke and Dust 16 - New arrival

by Willow


I decided to take a walk in twilight, to try and clear my head you know. I stayed way clear of the forest and Orrin’s cottage, heading instead for Playman’s Meadow.

I hadn’t had Combat and Stealth since my suspension. The meadow looked blue and bare in the absence of members. I walked round the edges, stopping at the base of the hill.

Bevan hadn’t wanted to go over the barrier. He’d been scared, like everyone else in the village would’ve been.

But I hadn’t been scared of the hill and its borderline, and I hadn’t been scared of crossing that line either. Sure I’d been cautious, but the city didn’t scare me. At least it didn’t use to.

I looked up at the hill, with its grassy slope and wild flowers. It was a truly beautiful scene against the dusky sky. I took a step up the hill, wondering what the city would look like in the sunset. I wouldn’t cross the barrier; I just wanted to see it.

But before I could take another step, images of the last time I’d climbed Fiery Hill started playing in my mind. The fire and people being beaten, the dark figures sweeping around, the faces all turning to me and then to the sky. The sky, turning on its back and showering us with blood. The power that’d sent me flying.

My foot moved back and I was standing at the base, still looking up at the hill. Was it blood? That rained down on us that day? It didn’t fall beyond the line, yet I was soaked in crimson. If it was blood, where had it come from? It can’t rain blood in Sage Barrow, so why can it rain blood in Adwen?

I shook my head and turned back to the opening to the meadow.

A soft whistling started up behind me. It was quiet and single-toned, so it wasn’t a person or bird or anything. I felt myself draw in a gasping breath as I realized what it was.

I had just enough time to duck before an arrow hit the ground right in front of me. I twisted around fiercely in the direction the arrow had come from.

“What’s the matter Astrid?” a boy asked at the top of Fiery Hill. I breathed a sigh of relief. “You actually looked scared!”

The boy’s voice was loud and deep, full of playful laughter. His hair was brown and longish, curling slightly over his ears in a very Magorian sort of way. He was older than Bevan and me, eighteen by our standards. He was well built and another popular village favorite, at least among the girls, not so much among the mothers.

“People tend to look scared if an arrow misses them by thumbs!” I yelled up at him.

“Ah, but not the famous Astrid,” he said as he headed down the slope.

I smiled when he reached me, thinking how mistaken his comment was. I guess I used to be kinda fearless, but lately I can’t truthfully claim to be.

“Welcome back,” I said.

“Aw, so I don’t get a hug or anything now? That boy’s gotten to your head,” he said, nodding his head insistently and smiling broadly.

I laughed and stretched out my hands in mock lovingness. Perhaps it wasn’t mock lovingness, but I guess it looked that way anyway. He laughed again and accepted the hug readily, drawing me into his chest.

When he let go he was grinning broadly, looking me up and down.

“You’ve gotten tall,” he said, which made me snicker. It was saying something from his side, since he towered over me.

“Come on,” I said, leading him out of the meadow by the hand. “Diya would want to see you.”

Just before we left I turned briefly to glance at the spot where the arrow had hit, and found my smile broaden to see that the crisp grass was undisturbed.

*I've kind of edited most of the story before this. For those of you who's read the previous Smoke and Dusts posts:

Bevan doesn't kiss Astrid - that would've made it too weird between them.

I put in a few pieces that explain about an up and coming festival that Astrid has to wear this revealing but still kind of poofy-skirted ball dress in.

I can't think of what else I changed now.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 10511
Reviews: 83

Donate
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:44 am
WaterSpout wrote a review...



Hello, Willow, back again for another review. This novel has gone farther than I expected, which is decided by the other newer novels that I read. They're good and at, but they just get dropped pretty soon, almost never making it to the tens of chapters. Some do, but they've been started since, like, 2019. Not that the newer books are bad, it's just a shame they don't get continued very far.
But a novel fifteen years old goes as far as sixteen chapters? Now that's exciting, because the reader is able to read more about the main characters and the story. I like lengthy novels, they're fun to read and you can get immersed in the world, making it feel real. Anyways, I'll get to the grammar. Not that I don't have anything else to say other than grammar and more grammar, but grammar is my strong suit. At least, that's what I think.
So without further ado, I'll get started.

I looked up at the hill, with its grassy slope and wild flowers.

'Wildflowers' is a word, so there is no need for a space in between 'wild' and 'flowers.'

I guess I used to be kinda fearless, but lately(,) I can’t truthfully claim to be.

That needs a comma.

It was saying something from his side->,<- since he towered over me.

That comma is not necessary.

Just before we left(,) I turned briefly to glance at the spot where the arrow had hit->,<- and found my smile broaden to see that the crisp grass was undisturbed.

So first off, you need a comma, and second of all, you don't need a comma.

“People tend to look scared if an arrow misses them by thumbs!” I yelled up at him.

That's some weird phrasing. And some weird measuring standards. I don't know what to say, only that it sounds weird. But I don't know how to correct it.

*I've kind of edited most of the story before this. For those of you who's read the previous Smoke and Dusts posts:
Bevan doesn't kiss Astrid - that would've made it too weird between them.
I put in a few pieces that explain about an up and coming festival that Astrid has to wear this revealing but still kind of poofy-skirted ball dress in.
I can't think of what else I changed now.

Aww, whyyyy
Well, it makes sense, though, to take the kiss scene away. It was rather awkward and unnecessary. Can I add not timed correctly...?
Anyways, that's all I had to say. Hopefully you found this useful and - I don't know. I think we're nearing the end here, because I don't see any more chapters.




User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:26 pm
Emma wrote a review...



Wow that was really good.. Sorry if I missed some of your other posts I kinda forget about the Literary Forums. And where on earth are all the other people who comment on these stories?!

Wow, it was good :D





There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green