z

Young Writers Society


12+

Fisher King in Hiding

by JohannaPomeray


PROLOGUE:

In the Garden,

two bodies,

built bones in the night.

 I.

I am a scepter of Bone

and the sun

is shining.

II.

I am an empty cup

and the moon

sees the Bones

dancing in the Graveyard.

III.

I am the sun, the moon, and the sky.

The earth turns into my shadow.

My eyes are the eyes of the watchman,

My hands are the hands of the dawn.

I am the blood, the breath, and the Bones.

IV.

I was once the peddler on the street

but now I am but the coin.

I was once the pilgrim on the way

but now I am but salvation.

I was once the starved, the starving

but now I am but Bones.

V.

You may see me in the streetlight,

but only in the flickering.

You may see me in the marketplace,

but only when you're lost.

You may see me in the dreaming time

but I will come in costume then;

This world is yours- I am a trespasser.

VI.

Once I was a boat.

My scepter was of metal then.

And all the riches of the sea

which waved ahead like a golden robe

were come to me, and I was pleased.

Now, I am but caught.

VII.

I am the wine, the drunkard, and the guilt.

I am the wind, the jacket, and the cold.

I wish beyond wish I had one single home.

But I am in every Cup, and every cup is mine.

And alas- they are all full.

VIII.

I wonder,

if the sky slowed down,

if he would notice,

the dancing has all stopped.

IX.

The cup is split.

The sun is setting.

I am but a specter of the Bone.

EPILOGUE:

In the dark of the night,

the long-forlorn lion,

picks through the bones for sustenance.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:51 pm
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I'll admit to not quite understanding this, but I really like it. Anyway, on to the review.

The first thing I'd recommend is to make and extra space between stanzas, just because when I saw the Roman numeral for the first stanza I thought it was an "I" instead of a Roman numeral.

Overall, this is really good. I'm just going to suggest a couple small revisions. They're just my opinions, though, you don't have to change it if you don't want to.

My eyes are the eyes of the watchman,

My hands are the hands of the dawn.

I'd take out the second "the" both times for better flow.

I was once the peddler on the street

but now I am but the coin.

I was once the pilgrim on the way

but now I am but salvation.

I was once the starved, the starving

but now I am but Bones.

You use the word "but" twice in every second line here, which just makes it read oddly. Repetition can be good, but here it doesn't really work. I'd just take out the first "but" on each line, so that it reads: "Now I am..." It just flows better that way.

but I will come in costume then;

This line breaks the flow established in the rest of the stanza. I'm not quite sure how you would revise it to make it fit, (perhaps "but I will be in costume") but it needs it.

Anyway, hope this helps. See you later!




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 251
Reviews: 36

Donate
Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 pm
View Likes
rachellecarter wrote a review...



This is a very interesting poem! I really liked it. I liked the style that you wrote it in and the topic as well. You don't see poems like this very often.

My advice? Keep being unique! You have a very strong voice and developing it would be the best thing to do right now. Good job on your poem. I can't really critique the content considering that I have no experience with the Fishing King at all. So I'm focusing on your form, not the content.

You use a lot of impressive word choice and it's easy to see that you worked very hard on this. Good job. (Sorry this was super short, but I could tell that after I said those few things that I was starting to fluff.)

Rachelle




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:20 am
View Likes
Rook wrote a review...



Hello!

This was... really interesting. It had a sort of haunting quality to it, and reminded me of several things: biblical verses (specifically psalms), riddles, songs in fantasy books, and the example of cuil theory.

Because of this, it sounded really cool. But I had absolutely no idea what it meant. I could see ties back and forth to certain repeated themes, but I never knew what you meant, and by the end of the poem, I was thoroughly bewildered, even if my brain was happy with pretty words and nice images.

... Okay, I just did some research on the fisher king (by which I mean I googled it and read the very short blurb from wikipedia)
A lot of this makes much more sense now, like the thing with the cups/wine, and even the thing with the coin. Now I can see some sense (if not a lot of sense) in stanzas V and VI.

One thing I'm not getting /at all/ is the bones thing. Maybe that's because I'm rather ignorant about the fisher king, and there's some sort of obvious connection that I'm missing, but you should keep in mind that most of your readers will not know this guy.

I love the language and images in this, but I think you should be a little more obvious in explaining some things. It's hard to understand as-is.

Let me know if you have any questions! Keep writing!



Random avatar


danke danke! It is very obfuscated. In a way that was intentional. It's very modernist in that I don't honestly want onyone to have too clear of a reading. The readers initial emotional response is the most important thing to me. I would like it to be a bit more accessible, but not as far as content goes. If anything I want the imagery to be more vivid, so as to draw the reader further in.



Rook says...


Totally understandable. You did a good job at what you aimed to do then. ^^



User avatar
106 Reviews


Points: 614
Reviews: 106

Donate
Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:20 pm
View Likes
RituparnaBhowmik wrote a review...



this poem is really vivid. but over the top mystery i must say. moreover the size is quite large to attract readers given your hard thoughts and expression. i am a follower of the romantic trio and i love mystery poems but for yous its quite obscure as the real essence is almost always overcast by a frequent change.
i didn't really get the setting and i am bought to ask- from where did you derive the inspiration to write such a poem? what is that you are hinting through it. is that the need of good deed or an eternal shadow that would always supervise the loved one. and why so hard thought when you always return to the graveyard. has life betrayed you.i try to instill some hope through my works, perhaps reading that might give you some hope. the imagery is recommendable but its just the sudden changing of settings that we fail to draw it fully.
all of this , i sincerely admit makes it perfect. i mean it.



Random avatar


Very over the top mystery. I got the idea from being very tired and studying Grail Mythology ( The Fisher King is a major figure in the story of the search for the Holy Grail .) I wrote the piece also after some close reading of Wallace Steven's 'Thirteen Way's of Looking at a Blackbird.' ( which I heavily suggest if this appealed to you at all- he does mystery and imagery much better than me. ) Honestly though, i'm not hinting at much. The images sort of speak for themselves ( hopefully ), and the intention was to prompt thought instead of really tell a story.





okay i get it now. i am not accustomed to Wallace Steven i would like to read of him henceforth




A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson