z

Young Writers Society



I haven't written in a long time.

by Whatsarahsaid


This is my latest effort, it's not my best work by far I feel I have lost something important in my skill, I took months off to discover what it was but I don't know. So where did I find my inspiration from? Postsecret. I was looking through my book and I read "Im sorry, we were young I think about it, and regret it, every day." My mind started jumping around and I ended up writing this. It turned out not to be about this card at all but a rather unpleasant piece, and not very well written anyway. I NEEDED to submit this to get your feedback, I need to know where Im going wrong.

Anyway enough chat, here it is;

I knew you wern't happy. More than you knew yourself. But I kept it, a secret my heart and watched your free spirit vanish, grow old. The fear I had, that you would see through my lies. When I said I loved you. Then you would hate me, and when that faded away pity would crawl through and would reassure what I felt inside.

The night I slapped you, I remember the hate I felt, writhing through my numb body like some dark mark. I saw the pain in your eyes and watched your love for me bleed away in those dark tears; a fading light. The numbness returned as I sat at home alone after you left. You even managed a brave smile as you said goodbye, tipping spilling drawers into your dusty suitcase. You had so many more places to go. Turning to look at me once again with those eyes, a look of cold hate in those eyes shielded by a ghost of a smile, we knew we wern't pretending anymore,, and it felt fine.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4131 Reviews


Points: 261340
Reviews: 4131

Donate
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:33 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: So...actually ths was pretty good. I don't get why you're saying this is bad. Sure its a very simple premise and its all presented in the minimum amount of words but that's not necessarily bad. It still gets a point across, there is a recognizable storyline, as short as it is and it's honestly pretty well written.

Anyway let's get right to it,

I knew you wern't happy. More than you knew yourself. But I kept it, a secret my heart and watched your free spirit vanish, grow old. The fear I had, that you would see through my lies. When I said I loved you. Then you would hate me, and when that faded away pity would crawl through and would reassure what I felt inside.


Well that is certainly a very attention grabby opening. Its actually a really good choice there to open with these questions and observations that this person appears to be feeling here. There is one tiny typo there, it should be weren't.

The night I slapped you, I remember the hate I felt, writhing through my numb body like some dark mark. I saw the pain in your eyes and watched your love for me bleed away in those dark tears; a fading light. The numbness returned as I sat at home alone after you left. You even managed a brave smile as you said goodbye, tipping spilling drawers into your dusty suitcase. You had so many more places to go. Turning to look at me once again with those eyes, a look of cold hate in those eyes shielded by a ghost of a smile, we knew we wern't pretending anymore,, and it felt fine.


Now I'm suspecting that this is not a typo as that should be weren't once more. And wow this is kind of sad but also happy here. I think it's meant to be happy with them doing something that is probably best for both of them and no one really seems to have got hurt all that much so I think that's the point. Once again this seems pretty nice actually. The emotions are doing a great job here and for such a simple premise I honestly think there really isn't anything wrong with it.

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall I think you did a great job of showing the POV character's personality and emotions and you gave just about enough description to get a pretty impactful set of images in that last paragraph. So I'll just say great job!

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 990
Reviews: 122

Donate
Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:09 am
Karma says...



This didn't really reach out to me, I don't know why.


It seemed a little detatched, like there needed to be more description, like in the sentence:

"You had so many more places to go."


It seemed a little chopped.




User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 24

Donate
Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:07 pm
MRMarathon wrote a review...



seems interesting and spiteful but you're right it is a little on the bland side.

i think you should create a preceding situation where there is imagery and characters involved or you could format it to seem like a letter to someone.

pretend this has nothing to do with you and write it about someone else saying these lines.

rewrite the whole thing with an intention of rewriting and changing it.

just a few things to try.





More than anything she wanted the world to be uncomplicated, for right and wrong to be as easily divided as the black and white sections of an Oreo. But the world was not a cookie.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes