In this Tumult

by Werthan

I was a worker at the Swan Inn. The building is–was–nothing like what you must be picturing. It is lodged somewhere halfway between the outskirts and the real city, and almost doesn’t belong there. It is a much more elegant and well-built work of architecture than about anything else there, but this gives it the burden if ennobling the city around it rather than making it seem outright misplaced. That’s only fitting, seeing as its guests are almost entirely from other places. Whether this brings them in, or they keep it from degrading, is a matter of whether the chicken or egg came first.

I wouldn’t recommend you ever go yourself, but the city is the kind of place where it’s always midnight. It is as if the smog is a blanket for the specters to sleep under during the day, and you can tell the guests were slowly being smothered when they walk through the door. The musty air and artificial light is better for them then than sunlight and fresh air are usually. I was very appreciated sitting behind my wooden bar even if people’s enthusiasm was stifled even after drinking.

One guest, though, was livelier than I’ve ever seen any guest be. He–he?–threw open the door like a gust of wind rushing through and it slammed shut from recoil just as quickly. He stood, unapologetically, wearing a frilled blood-red suit like something from the 18th century, complete with ruffles on the sleeves and flowing down the front of his shirt like some sort of blood-waterfall. His hair was below his chin and wild as if he were in a storm, yet not unkempt, and a faint red lightningbolt symbol covered the whole left half of his face. Maybe there was a storm, but not overhead.

He swept over to the bar, slammed down his right fist without a sound, and politely demanded alcohol. “One glass of brandy, please! The strongest you have, quickly!”

“That would be 10.50 dollar, please.”

He set down 10.50 dollar faster than I could see, and I set down one glass of brandy.

“So, you say ‘dollar’ here?” he asked.

“I don’t know how to respond to that,” I said.

“Well, then,” and he turned away with his suit’s jacket swishing out behind him like a cape.

He put his left hand on the right shoulder of a man standing there in a worn-out green sweatsuit.

“Are you a prole? Pleb?”

“What? No.”

“Then I’ll assume you’re no man.”

“Who would you be?” the green-suited man responded in monotone.

“I’m called Christian. Tell everyone you can. Most of all, tell your master.”

“Your name is what?”

Krist-yan. Is what I’m called. Have you told your master?” he looked the green-suited man in the eyes with a laserlike stare. “Good, and goodbye.” He threw him down under his foot and jammed his hand straight through his ribcage. He pulled out a chunk of wires, and electric sparks flew out from the wires, tinted red from Christian’s burning flesh and the translucency of the flesh of most of the patrons in general. The sparks arced out to a few of the other patrons faster than the blink of an eye, and they shorted out and exploded like thunder.

“Ashes to ashes, dust to dust,” he cried. The whole building was black and smoldering. “How did anyone think there could be any replacement for the human spirit in any case at all?”

“You idiot! You’re burning us all!” cried out a woman in a long dress colored like the golden ochre of old Italian frescoes.

“You only burn if you want to! Leave this place!”

“That’s nonsense!”

“Nonsense? Look at my hand!” His hand that had burned in the fire minutes ago was unscathed.

She looked down in silence.

“I don’t want to be dust in the wind,” he said quietly, head pointed away towards the ground, “and I can’t think about anything else. I don’t know what it all means, and really I don’t even know what ‘it all’ is. I go to this inn to stay a night, and I can’t even be alone because the walls have electronic eyes! I hope they follow me here. I hope it’s like a huge battle, like in olden days. My drive, they call it, what? Vitality, animal magnetism, Will to Power? I don’t see how drones could kill anything but those who are already dead, since they have no will. Let the living corpses burn! I can only envy what is truly alive, what yearns for death by flames! And hate myself…”

The building was scorched blacker than night, and hotter than Hades. It is better called the Black Swan Inn now. I am broken, and due for repair on [DATE].

• —Unit 208234756, black box recording 

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ stopping by for a short review :)

this gives it the burden if ennobling the city around it rather than making it seem outright misplaced
I think you mean 'of' instead of 'if' there.

I was very appreciated sitting behind my wooden bar even if people’s enthusiasm was stifled even after drinking.
You used 'even' twice in this sentence, and the second time doesn't seem to be necessary or really add anything to your point, so I would take it out.

lightningbolt symbol covered the whole left half of his face
'lightning bolt' is two words

Overall, I liked the intrigue and sudden twist that you gave this story that drew the reader in. It was a pretty smooth read, and your writing style was full of descriptions that made the story more colorful. There were a few spots where your writing style made it unclear who did what where, and I'll expand on that in just a second. The other correction I would offer is more motivated characters, and I'll talk about that in a moment as well.

As far as unclarity, the biggest trouble spot for me was this paragraph:
“Krist-yan. Is what I’m called. Have you told your master?” he looked the green-suited man in the eyes with a laserlike stare. “Good, and goodbye.” He threw him down under his foot and jammed his hand straight through his ribcage. He pulled out a chunk of wires, and electric sparks flew out from the wires, tinted red from Christian’s burning flesh and the translucency of the flesh of most of the patrons in general. The sparks arced out to a few of the other patrons faster than the blink of an eye, and they shorted out and exploded like thunder.
So originally, I assumed that it was Christian who was destroying Green Suited Man, who we'll call GS for short. But then it seemed like Christian was burning up and being destroyed, and then that fire spread to the rest of the building? That's what I got from it, so even if this is a misread on my part, just be aware that that could be a potentially rough spot.

And for character motivations, a good example of this can be found in this paragraph:

“That’s nonsense!”
Why doesn't the woman want to leave? Her life is in danger, so she obviously has a pretty solid reason to stay, but it's never revealed. That makes her character seem a little fishy and also gives the story a lack of drive. To have an interesting story, all your characters should be fighting through obstacles to reach a certain goal, and we don't really see that here. I get the impression that Christian has a goal that isn't revealed yet, but what about the innkeeper? What about that woman? What about GS? All of those characters seem a little flat if they don't have good motivation.

So to summarize my review, I thought this was an intriguing piece with a lot of promise, despite having a few sticky patches. It had a good flow, generally speaking, and although I pointed out a few grammar mistakes, it was pretty spot-on for the most part. My two areas of critique were giving the characters more depth, specifically through motivation, and making sure that your writing was clear and didn't get muddled through revisions. But overall, this was a very exciting piece that took a sharp turn, and I enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing, and if you have any questions, feel free to let me know :)

Best wishes,
MJ

Werthan says...

Thanks! The narrator is supposed to be a bit weird because this is the future and they're a robot but I'll work on the unclear parts.

She's also not leaving because the character telling her to leave comes off as making an absurd suggestion. All of the walls of the building are on fire and hot air is building up inside the building. His hand appears mysteriously intact so he's rubbing it into the guest's face that their not being able to do the apparently impossible is their own fault to him as they're all already in this hellish scenario.

I feel like the character's name is confusing since this Germanic/Scandinavian name has a very different ring to it than any of the nearest names English but it just sort of stuck since the original idea.

The character depth should take care of itself if the writing's clear enough. There's a lot of just expressionistic writing here, a lot of allusions
(some of which seem kind of silly) etc.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:56 am
tigeraye wrote a review...

This is a heavy paragraph, but there aren't very many adjectives. And the few adjectives that ARE there are sort of lost in the puzzle, making it hard to decipher what this hotel actually looks like. So what you end up with is a paragraph that lacks a proper meaning, and could be better edited to either set the scene or more adequately hook the reader.

What's more perplexing is that what the inn itself looks like ends up being irrelevant, because when the main character burns it down, you describe it very broadly instead of vividly. It COULD be important, because you mentioned that this hotel is the only meaningful part of an otherwise bleak and sorrowful town, and now it's gone. But if that's what you intend to aim for, you should PLAY to that instead of leaving it in the background.

The story itself is rather intriguing...a very "Allen Poe-y" like narrative. There's always this sense that you're leaving your reader out in the dark, leaving them one step behind the main character, and that's a very compelling idea. Perhaps the science fiction aspect is not explored or elaborated enough upon, but you leave the reader with a lot think about. Why did this lady not leave? Because there's nowhere else to go? The inn is the last beacon of life in the entire town.

What this story lacks in length, it makes up for with its mystique and intrigue. Thank you for uploading.

Werthan says...

The building actually doesn't get entirely burned down, just really scorched. The woman doesn't leave because she can't/thinks she can't and the suggestion comes off absurd in context. The walls are just sort of burning from the outside in so everyone is trapped as it heats up like an oven (but does not get completely destroyed, just really scorched, and renovated later. Doesn't the "Black Swan Inn" thing imply something's still there?)

tigeraye says...

well, i suppose it implies it's still an inn, when you look at it from one angle. but when the only adjective for something is "black", i think "pure black", meaning in the context of a burning house there is nothing left but ashes and soot

NO U
— Carina