z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Beatnik Poetry Sucks

by Werthan


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Beatnik poetry sucks
It's all like –
I take Prozac!
I hurt myself!
Ah!
Let's see how much
We can say
Shit, fuck, asshat, then
I don't want to
Fuck you
But I am, so
Fuck you
William Blake
Rolls in his grave
Cut this bullshit
Not your wrists
Ah!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:21 am
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review!

So I came here to disagree. That's the main reason I clicked on your title. I'm actually a fan of the Beat Generation, though I won't have a bias towards the poem for that. I'm not a fan of the poem all that much for a different reason. Obviously the reference to William Blake is the poet, though other elements of this poem seem to touch on or focus popular subject matters and ideas of the majority of Beatnik poetry. I do wish this poem took more of an importance on structure and the overall aesthetic. Sure, most people wouldn't notice these aspects if it were read aloud or if it were a spoken word poem, though it's not. At least, you haven't claimed it to be.

I can't tell if you're in favor of punctuation or if you're not in this poem. The most I have to say is to be consistent with those aspects. Those are more technical. It's a stylistic choice of if you want to use exclamation marks and commas and not periods, though you still have to be consistent with that decision. In this form, I've found it a little hard to read, though it isn't that harmful to the overall perception of the content since this is a short poem. On the other hand, if this poem were longer I do think that the neatness of this would be a problem. At the same time, general polishing definitely wouldn't do harm.

I guess if your intention for this piece was to speak your mind about Beat Generation poetry (which is pretty obviously what it was), then I suppose you've succeeded, though I would have liked to see more references to the more popular Beatnik authors. Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, and even Charles Bukowski can even be considered Beat poets and I'd like to hear what you have to say on them in this poem if you've read any of them. There's only one name drop here, which is a little sad because I would have liked to hear more about that. I have to say that the three last lines are ones that impressed me to an extent with the phrasing used, so nice job on that.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day!

Image




Werthan says...


Thanks! I just read a crappy book that wasn't by any of those people and generalized based on that, so don't take it too harsh. I'll touch it up.



User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2046
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:38 pm
beccalicious94 wrote a review...



Hey Werthan! Becca here for a quick review.

It's time this piece finally got a review. It seems like you have a lot of feelings about Beatnik poetry. You seem to be mocking the elements Beatniks use(d) in their poetry, namely, anti-depressants, self-harm, and swearing. You mention William Blake, one of the great Romantic era poets, "rolling in his grave" saying he would be sad to see the state of poetry of the Beatnik era. You end this piece sardonically saying Beatnik poets should stop these trite, cliche tactics, both in their work and in their lives.

It's wild how you're saying so much in so little space. I wonder if you could offer a more robust critique of the genre. You seem to have a lot of feelings, how scathing could you make this review, using a bit more substance?

Obviously your call as the author. Keep writing!




Werthan says...


The Beatniks liked to refer to William Blake a lot. This poem is not really serious since it was based on what I'm sure is an objectively bad book not by any of the famous people, which is why it isn't a "robust critique" at all, just me venting after forcing myself to read an awful book. It might just need more context. Thanks!




I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter