z

Young Writers Society



cLUSTER

by WanderingCloud


I really don't know where to categorize this but I hope you'll like it. It is good to be back.

Under a cold lonely night, as I looked through the September window sill, a plethora of fireflies circled a thin balete tree across the low house. Breezes waving past midnight made them dance and giggle flickers. I held out my hand and one of the little twinkling creature rested. All the while, crickets brought the whispers of nocturn symphony of the lost. It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. Indeed lonely and dreary, an adventure of self discovery. Living through sadness and pain yet full of life. Ah, full of life, the worlds within worlds. When the little fella' lost its light, I caught silverlinings of the moon for it to live again. It joined back in the group, shining more bright and astounding than the rest. For he was the dazzling silver and they were the dashing gold. It made no difference. They are all light within the black and white world of blinding umbra.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:59 pm
Atticus wrote a review...



Hi, WanderingCloud! My name is MJ, and I'm here to offer you some (hopefully) helpful critique on this work.

First off, it is clear from this blurb that you have a lot of potential as an author. You excel at painting pictures for the reader, and what I mean by that is you use language that creates an image in the reader's brain and really draws them in. You were able to perfectly describe the scenery in only a few short sentences, and that is a talent that is invaluable to an author. I hope that you will continue to use this skill to write novels, for you have potential to really go far as a writer.

However, there are still things about this work that could be improved (which does not mean that this work is bad, but in every piece of literature, there are things that can be improved upon). This work still seems a little rough-around-the-edges, and this paragraph seems a little all-over-the-place. The first three sentences do a wonderful job of establishing the scenery, but then the fourth sentence ("It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter") seems out of place and doesn't tie in with the rest of the paragraph. The same can be said for the next three sentences, which are all fragments that don't seem connected to the rest of the paragraph. I feel like these are just unconnected fragments of thought, which is a fine starting place, but for this to be the best work you are capable of, a better transition into these thoughts would be very helpful and make this piece feel more connected and smooth.

Overall, I loved the message of self-discovery and the metaphorical contrast between light and darkness. You used imagery wonderfully here, which makes me suspect that you would be a good poet as well. I would love to see you continue to experiment with this idea, maybe even changing directions by writing this as a poem instead and seeing where that takes you. Either way, it was a pleasure to read your work, and I hope to be able to see your work in the future! If you have any questions about my review, please let me know, and I'll do my best to clear up any confusion.

All my best,
MJTucker




User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:55 pm
Panikos wrote a review...



Hiya, WanderingCloud! Just dropping in for a quick review. As the piece is so brief, I don't have a great deal to say, but hopefully you'll still find this helpful.

You've obviously got a keen vocabulary and an aptitude for description. I like your attention to detail and how you focus on small images like the firefly resting on the narrator's hand and the whispers of the crickets. Even though it's a very short piece, it is immersive and carries a strong sense of setting and atmosphere. I actually think you could exploit more of the senses, though. You use the visual and make a brief allusion to sound, but I think smell and touch are underused. There's scope to talk about the scents of grass and earth on the air, or about how the characters arms prickle with the cold breeze. If you do that, you'll really bring the description to life.

I'll also say that, while this is a pretty good description, don't get lost in fancy words. Some of the lines in this come across like you're trying too hard to be profound, and they don't actually make much sense. Take these bits:

I looked through the September window sill


Breezes waving past midnight made them dance and giggle flickers.


I caught silverlinings of the moon for it to live again.


I didn't really get what you were trying to say in any of these sentences. What's a 'September window sill'? How does the month come into this? And how do you giggle a flicker? What is the character actually doing when they 'catch' silver linings? I just felt like you were tossing out unrelated words, more focused on making it sound whimsical than creating a specific image. Simplicity isn't a bad thing. Don't use posh words for their own sake.

In a similar vein, I also struggled to see what...point you were trying to make in this whole description. You use phrases like 'symphony of the lost' and 'adventure of self discovery', but again, it just comes across like you're trying to sound profound rather than making a specific point. I'm not a big fan of writing that just reflects on the abstract. There should be a focus to what you're saying, and that focus should be obvious whether you describe it in metaphors or in layman's terms.

Which brings me to my final point. I'd like to see you develop this piece further, because I don't really think it holds its own in isolation. At the end of the day, it's a description. A pretty nice description, it has to be said, but a description nonetheless. There's no conflict or suspense or mystery running through it, so there's a limit to how much it can hold my interest. I'd love to see this description as part of a larger story - you could develop the narrator's character more, address the questions of why they're here looking at fireflies and generally just delve deeper into their life. That would be much more engaging than just a snippet of description.

So, in short, I think it's nice, but it doesn't really hold up in its own right. Your description is lovely in places and shows a lot of potential, but don't fall into the trap of trying to sound fancy and profound. Writing doesn't have to use obscure words and poetic turns of phrase to be good. Simplicity is its own kind of beautiful.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan






Thanks for the review~



User avatar


Points: 168
Reviews: 3

Donate
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:17 pm
ViaLia wrote a review...



This is a very good little story, and I am very impressed with your level of vocabulary! It brought me away from reality during the time I was reading it, and I could feel the breeze and the fireflies. I do have two small suggestions for you. Is it possible to use more filler words and sentences? I felt a little lost, and it seemed a little clustered and clumpy. Another suggestion is to use multiple paragraphs. I saw a couple spots that could've split off and become different paragraphs. It is a very good story, and I hope you write more!





We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy