Home » Literary works » Poetry » Humor

Maladaptive Daydreaming

by Wallflower23

His name was Leo and he didn’t exist,

and yet still my mind seemed to insist

that the fantasy of him and me

was more than just a lovely dream.

It seemed so real when we kissed

yet truth and vision must have missed.

My flimsy grip on sanity

must be slipping tragically

if these visions feel so real

seems my imagination's my Achilles heal.

-Maladaptive Daydreaming

Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:37 pm
luminescence wrote a review...

'Ello there @Wallflower23! I personally walked into this with little knowledge about maladaptive daydreaming, so I can't speak much about if this covers every feeling happening there - and of course, things like this vary from person to person, so that wouldn't even work.

My overall first opinion about this was that it is a very personal poem, and I'm sure that is correct. It was soft and lovey-dovey, which is usually something I tend to stray away from because it isn't really my thing; this caught my eye though because I rarely see mental health related things mixed in with aspects of romance. Was it executed well? I'd say yes.

if these visions seem so real

seems my imagination's my Achille's heal.

There's an overuse of the word seem here. Some other words you can use are suggest, imply, hint, and if you want to seem a little more professional, you can use approximate. All of them are words with similar meanings. Or you can rework the stanza to where you keep the same phrasing, but get rid of the unnecessary words.

Also, it's "Achilles heel."

Anyway, good job!

- Lum.

Wallflower23 says...

Goodness gracious I am so sorry that it took SO LONG for me to reply to this! I am sort of a disaster, as many of us are, so I vaguely remember seeing this, thinking I should reply, and then I guess not doing so.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the review and your kindness. I don't typically write a ton of poetry and I certainly don't care it but I like this so much I decided to give it a shot. Honestly this poem makes me laugh despite it being about a serious topic and actually kind of sad. I definitely agree that it is rather personal and I am glad that you enjoyed it and found it effective despite it not being what you usually go for.

I definitely would not say that this covers what maladaptive daydreaming is for everyone. In fact, this poem really only covers a fraction of what it can be like for me.

However I do think that maladaptive daydreaming isn't spoken about much though it can severely impact and reflect mental health. On that note I wrote this in part because my friend had told me that it was the term for the symptoms I was talking with her about and have dealt with for most of my life. Prior to my friend telling me about it, I really hadn't known it was an actual symptom of anxiety and depression and not a good sign.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thank you so much for the kind notes and critiques. I believe that I have edited everything that you brought up!

Stay stunning!

Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:24 pm
Haileyg21 wrote a review...

"His name was Leo and he didn’t exist,

and yet still my mind seemed to insist

that the fantasy of him and me

was more than just a lovely dream.

It seemed so real when we kissed

yet truth and vision must have missed.

My flimsy grip on sanity

must be slipping tragically

if these visions seem so real

seems my imagination's my Achille's heal."

Ok so this is good. It feels to me like it is deeply important. I don't know why though. Ok onto my review.
I can see that this is holds a lot of emotion. Not like happy or sad but a truerer emotion.
Deep down inside of you made you write this. Not just a random jingle. its a nice cute and amazing poem. I feel it inside my heart, and i know you do to. Thank you for writing such a lovely peom and being so kind worded in it. I think from here on out you'll only to more.

Wallflower23 says...

Hello deary! Sorry that it took me so very long to reply to this!

Thank you so very much for all your praise and kind words. I don't think I realized how much this poem might impact people when I first wrote it.

I feel like this does hold a lot of emotion now that I look at it again. When I first wrote it, it was just this little comedic poem about imagining a relationship with a person that didn't exist, but recently my symptoms have worsened and now this seems a little more serious to me. Idk I think I have suffered from maladaptive daydreaming since I was very young. This was sort of just a nice light way to discuss one fraction of what it is like for me. Usually I can direct it a bit more, so it just feels like my brain is super creative and imaginative, but other times as much as I try the stories and thoughts have the control. I think this poem may have been a way for me to take some of the control over my imagination and thoughts back. A way to may the imaginary people and stories more concrete, so they weren't just something that pops incessantly into my thoughts.

Anyway, glad you liked it!

Thank you so much for your kind words and I am so glad that you connected to this poem!

Stay stunning!

Memento homo, quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris (Remember, man, that you are dust, and you will return to dust)
— Genesis 3:19