And We All Fall Down Chpt 1

by Walkitch

Okay I'd put this in the description but there's not enough room. So I don't know how often I'll be able to add chapters to this because I kind of jump aruond with the scenes and they're not in chronological order so I don't know when a certain chapter will be done. I'm also pretty busy with school but I'm hoping if I have readers I'll be more inclined to add to it. But I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

The Move

The tears streaked down my face as the car pulled away. Head locked on the house no matter how many houses passed, even out of sight. As a few drops pattered on my legs, I became refocused on my surroundings. Through the rear-view mirror I could see my dad’s disgruntled face.

Although, I’d rather have him be more concentrated on the road rather than discussing with me about how it’s all my mother’s fault. Along the way there were many swears tossed out and horns with the stopped traffic on the expressway. Looking out the window got pretty boring pretty fast and the shade of the sky gradually got duller and duller. After a few hours I begged my dad to stop at a bathroom, as well as I was pretty hungry.

“I told you to go to the bathroom before we left,” he snipped.

“Yea, that was also five hours ago.”

He just rolled his eyes at me. I never understood how he went after a teaching job. He hated children. Since we’re moving to a different state he decided to just enroll me with his latest place of employment. As much as I don’t want my dad to work where I learn, it’s very well known, so GreenView High School will be a nice place to get some money to start off with.

In ten minutes we were in an oasis parking lot stretching our legs. I limped my way to the entrance of a Wendy’s and headed to the bathroom first. Looking in the mirror it looked like I had slept for the whole ten hour car ride, yet we were only half way there. Walking back out I had gotten into the line and ordered some chicken nuggets and a frosty. After my order I had joined back up with my dad at a table, who was already halfway done snarfing down his dinner. After an awkward five minute silence he was just sitting there staring at me while I ate I got up and threw my trash away and brought my frosty with me.

“You’re not bringing that thing in the car, I know how messy you are, so hurry up,” he said as he left for the car.

I pulled my chair back up and just sat there looking at the slightly melted top of chocolatey deliciousness. I swirled it around with my spoon for a bit, took about two bites before I just threw the rest out. It didn’t seem so appetizing anymore.

Getting back in the car was torture for my legs and soul. We were only half way there and it already felt like forever. These were the times I almost wish I had siblings… almost. I fiddled with my clarinet case on the other seat in the back and my books I brought but I was even too bored to read them. Instead I pulled out my phone even though it only had half a battery. I texted Jordan and Mikey, the only friends I’d ever really miss from back home.

“heyy I’m halfway there!” Jordan had responded almost immediately like usual. She never takes her hands away from her phone. Mikey… you’re lucky you get a response that week. He’s always losing things.

“how is it? are you still alive?”

“haha yea just barely though.”

“well tell me when u get there and how many hot guys you see k? J”

“yea will do. ”

“I don’t want you to go over with those stupid texty, IM things got it?” I was startled by my dad’s voice.

“Dad I have unlimited texts, don’t worry about it.”

He just sighed. Slowly, we eventually got to our new home. As we pulled in the driveway it was 8:27 and mostly dark. We slowly got out of the car and opened up the U-haul. It took us an hour and a half to unload all the boxes into the house, but we decided that was enough for today. My room had pale white walls and brown carpeting with seven boxes and a tiny bed to its name. Even though I hadn’t done much and it wasn’t that late I decided to fall asleep.

I arose at nine the next to morning to find my dad still crashed on the couch. I went into the kitchen not expecting many choices, but I was still a bit sad when the only cereal we had was Bran Flakes. At least I’d get my daily fiber. I dug through the nearest box as quietly as I could to find a single spoon and bowl. I could manage without milk. I sat in this lonely looking kitchen before I remembered I forgot to text Jordan again. I ran to my room and took my phone off the charger.

“hey sorry about that i forgot to text u last night L”

“its alright. i figured you made it. Or at least i hoped haha”

“if u get a hold of mikey can you tell him? i already did but its not like he looks at his phone XD”

“yea sure next time i see him”

“thanks”

When I closed my phone my dad stirred for a little while before opening his eyes and blinking a few times. He checked his watch and closed his eyes again.

“Today if you wanna go explore the town you gotta unpack a few boxes before you leave okay? And don’t forget to take the keys with you. Don’t even think about staying out too late.”

“Alright I won’t.”

I walked back into my room and started filling up my closet. I hung up my usual shirts and pants and at the bottom I had come across my new school uniform. I’d never had a uniform before and these ones looked pretty bland. Five gray shirts with the school emblem and white collar and five black bottoms to match. I put these in the middle of my closet considering I’d have to use them most often I guess.

There was one box down. The other boxes contained things like books or stuffed animals that could decorate the room, but I guess all of that would have to come last when I had more pieces of furniture. We had already ordered a desk and bookcase for my room but that wouldn’t be for another week or so. Instead I took out my laptop and tried to find an internet connection. Our neighbors had an unprotected signal but it only gave one bar, so I decided to wait until we had our computer installed. Inside the same box I found a few pictures of Mikey and I, or Jordan and I, or all three of us squeezed in together. I wondered if I could find friends like them here, especially being the new kid at school.

Since I realized I couldn’t do a whole lot in my room I went back into the kitchen and took out all the silver wear and found random cabinets that seemed appropriate to hold them all. I decided I had done enough for today. It wasn’t like I was going to have anyone over any time soon.

I took the keys from the rack next to the door and started with my trek. I could either go left and walk up the hill or go right and go down the hill. I decided the right would be easier for my lazier self. It was about ten minutes before I got into the heart of the town. I walked into a local Starbucks and got myself an iced coffee since it was pretty hot out. The only other people in there were a couple that seemed to be in high school as well. The guy had a letterman’s jacket with the last name Zanders. I just took my coffee to go so I could see the rest of the town.

It was getting to be around noon and the sun was beating down on me, but the whole place was actually very pretty and from some places you could even see the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. I decided to go check out the outside of my school considering I’d have to start going in two weeks. The building was quite large and had ivy going all along the sides of the ancient bricks.

I arrived back home around 2:30 and exhausted. By now my dad was up although he was still moving like a zombie. He had asked if I wanted to go furniture shopping with him tomorrow. I didn’t really want to go with him, but I also didn’t trust much of his judgments so I decided I would. Not like I had anything else I could do here.

In the afternoon the next day we had headed on over to Ashley’s Furniture Store. It seemed their main idea was on wicker which I didn’t care much for. Luckily, they had some couches on sale. I personally wanted a brown, suede one but dad wanted a floral one that seemed to only be found in old lady houses.

“But it just doesn’t go with the house! The room has brown carpeting, why would you get something that’s got a splash of every different color, not to mention it looks horrible?”

“It’s the cheapest thing they got Anna, it’s not like I’m rich over here so quit bitching about it.”

I sighed and sat down in one of the recliners while he did whatever he wanted. Forty minutes later he was paying for that crappy couch, a black leather recliner, and a coffee table.

"Honestly, I think the world is going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight. We do have choices."
— Dean Winchester