Gone Away Home( I changed it)

by VoraciousReader_545

Yeah it's a lot different than before because if someone tells me something's wrong with it,I edit like crazy. Anyway, please critique... or else :twisted: lol:

A thick cloud of ash poured into the air. The house that had once stood tall amid the small development had crumpled to the ground, revealing a distressed girl, crying on the streets of New York City. She grabbed her mother’s hand, looking into her emerald eyes, with fear. Her brother, Travis, had rushed over to his father, who was buried with large amounts of wood. He looked at Sarah and embraced her with his bony hands.

“Sarah,” he cried a tear trickling down his cheek. “What are we going to do? Where are we going to go?”

Sarah shook her head, her eyes red and puffy. “I don’t know, Travis. None of the neighbors seem to like us. Our relatives would blame us for the fire and call us arsonists. I’m sorry, Travis but I have a feeling we’re going to be living on the streets for a long time.”

“You’re fourteen,” he said abruptly. “You could get a job!”

“Yeah,” she said. “Fourteen years old. You can’t get a real job until you’re sixteen. The most I could get now is raking leaves for the neighbors. And they never pay much, especially when you’re their enemies.” Sarah reminded him.

“Then what about me?” He said.

“You?” she asked with a hearty laugh. “What makes you think that a fourteen year old couldn’t get a job, but a twelve year old could?”

“I could rake leaves for my friend.”

“That’s all really nice of you, Travis, but—” I replied with a frown on my face.

“But what?” he asked.

“But that’s just not enough for us to live, anywhere.”

“Sarah, I miss them,” he said with an unhappy look on his face. “I really wish Mom and Dad were alive.”

“We all do.” Sarah whispered, clamping his hand. “But look on the bright side. At least we’ve got each other.”

He nodded. “ I love you, Sarah.” He whispered laying his head on her shoulder. She smiled back but panicked when she didn’t see him. She looked down the street and saw a boy her age running down the street, her brother in his arms.

She shouted at him. “Hey! Where are you going with my brother?”

“ Sarah! Don’t run after him! He’s a—”But his words were muffled as the boy and her brother disappeared from sight.

“ Travis!” she cried running down a dark alley. But they were nowhere in sight. And as Sarah camped out in the dark forlorn alley, she had a feeling she’d never see her brother again.

keystrings wrote a review...

Hello there.

Popping in to give you a much-earned review even though this is super late.

First off, I think there are a few inconsistencies in this short piece. The initial problem I have with this is I don't think many fourteen-year-olds let alone a kid barely the age of twelve could talk this calmy about what their future holds. Especially if their parents just died in front of them? Even though the first part of this has a line about Sarah looking into her mom's eyes, and like I don't think I'd want to see my parent's dead expression, so I'm a little confused.

The glaring issue is that these kids are having a decently long conversation, with complete sentences, and only a few lines of a tear falling down their cheeks. If the building's collapse had happened a while ago, I think that's one thing for them to come to visit their old home and ponder what to do, but that's not what's happening here. Their parents are literally lying dead off to the side, and unless they were awful people, I think I'd spend more time going over that for the time being. Also, this seems like a little "let's make these characters have a super sad backstory" by saying that there's absolutely no one would take in two poor kids.

Continuing on, the whole conversation feels very generic and not personal, by having these long windy lines and laughing randomly? Like, are these kids not meant to feel emotions, or are they just the opposite of everything? And, I'm guessing the father is meant to be buried under wood, not with. That made me do a double take for a second there.

Finally, I don't like the ending much as it doesn't make much sense to me either. How could she not feel her brother literally pulled out of her arms? And was that somehow her brother yelling at her to not chase them? I'm confused and not that interested really in the "cliff-hanger" type of ending.

Overall, I think that I wish more would have happened, or that these kids acted a little more like kids who just lost their parents.

I'm done, for now, I guess.

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:39 am
Firestalker says...

The biggining was good, middle bad and the end was good.

If you like fantasy and dragons, you should read my latest post: Second Excerpt from Dragonquest. Sorry, if it doesn't make much sense, but just give me your opinion on it, okay?

this was very interesting reading

Emma says...

Tis good though I have NO idea what so ever about what is going on. Apart from that they were in a fire... Where's their parents?!

Mattie wrote a review...

Hey, I thought it really get's started fast and jumps right into the story, I like that. No drawn out or long prolougs or what ever you might have. :) So I'm crit like I promised and I liked it. I don't like whole part though about their neighbors are their enemies...maybe explain that a little bit more as to why they are? Other than that, I have nothing else...

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:03 am

Hmm... this is a very good beginning for a story. I wish that I could write an engaging lead like that. You should check out my post.....it's fairly interesting.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain