A Ball of Anger

by VioletFantasy

There's a ball of anger welling up inside of me

There's a teapot full of steam screaming to be free

It's boiling away inside my walls

I wish it was stewing in someone else's halls

All of the bubbly fury advances to the top

I can feel that I'm about to pop

It keeps pushing its way through

Like a hammer pounding on a screw

The rage bursts out in a tidal wave

I will no longer be its slave

I release the annoyance and let it all out

It leaves a space for happiness to sprout

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:01 pm
Hijinks wrote a review...

Hi VioletFantasy! I read your poem yesterday morning and I'm back now for a review :)

First of all, I love how crisp and consistent your rhyming scheme is! Often time a rhyming scheme can make a poem sound awkward because the poet has had to structure the lines weirdly to get them to rhyme, but for the most part your rhymes feel really natural which is awesome!

There's only one place that feels a teeny bit awkward, which is the very last line - it just seems a bit long-winded, and I feel like something more concise like "It leaves space for happiness to sprout" would flow a bit better. But if you like it how it is, no pressure to change it!

@anneonomus already mentioned some places where the wording could be changed up to prevent repetition, and I agree with all their points about that, so I won't go over that stuff since they have! The only other thing I want to mention about repetition is the use of the phrase "ball of anger". I feel like if you changed it subtly each time that could add a bit more nuance and interest to the poem. For example, if we look at the first stanza ~

There's a ball of anger longing to be free

It's bashing its head against my walls

I wish it was traveling down someone else's halls

You could consider changing the second one to "There's a tumbleweed of fury" or something like that, and maybe even alter the imagery slightly accordingly -

There's a tumbleweed of fury longing to be free

It's bashing its thorns against my walls

I wish it was traveling down someone else's desert halls

See how that would incorporate a similar family of imagery throughout the stanza? There's no need to use this example, or even change it at all if you don't want to, but I do think experimenting with that might be interesting.

And then in the second stanza, you could change "ball of anger" to "bubble of hatred" or "balloon of [synonym of anger]" or something; either would complement the idea of "popping" really nicely, and at the same time remove some of the repetition.

One other little detail I'd like to mention is punctuation. This is a completely stylistic choice, and there aren't many if any rules to poetry, so it's up to you as the poet to choose how you use punctuation - and everything I'm saying is just my personal opinion, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt!

So right now you have one full-stop in the poem ("I can feel that I'm about to pop!") and one comma ("I release all of it, I let it out"). Both of these punctuation marks really stand out, as they're the only ones used - to me, they even feel a bit out of place. I would suggest either taking them out, so the poem uses absolutely no punctuation, or adding in more punctuation throughout the poem for consistency. In the spoiler below I outlined one way you could choose to punctuate the poem, but there are lots of ways to do that so if you do decide to add punctuation, you definitely don't have to follow my example!
There's a ball of anger welling up inside of me,

There's a ball of anger longing to be free -

It's bashing its head against my walls;

I wish it was traveling down someone else's halls.

The ball of anger travels to the top

I can feel that I'm about to pop!

It keeps pushing its way through

Like a hammer pounding on a screw.

The rage bursts out in a tidal wave;

I will no longer be its slave.

I release all of it, I let it out

It leaves room for hope and happiness to sprout.

Again, this is just one way you could use punctuation, there are plenty of others! (I tend to use a lot of semicolons and dashes in my writing, so this is how I'd punctuate it in my style; your style is probably different though, and there's nothing wrong with that!) (I swear I didn't use that semicolon on purpose :D)

That's it for my review - overall, I love your rhyming scheme, I think you've got some really nice imagery, and there are just a couple places where I'd suggest weeding out repetition and adding in some commas/periods/what have you. I hope you find this useful and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

whatchamacallit

Thank you so much for the review! I just used your information and the tips from other reviews I received to edit my poem. It%u2019s much better now, thanks to you! :D

Hijinks says...

You're welcome! And I love the tea & steam imagery you added in the first stanza!

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:59 pm
anneonomus wrote a review...

Hello VioletFantasy!
I really like the concept of this poem, so I'm excited to be able to give some feedback! I think that your personification of the emotions works very well, and I really enjoyed your use of metaphors and similes! I also thought that the simple couplet rhyme scheme and stanzas structure the poem nicely.
My suggestions would be to try experimenting a little with the language of the poem. For example, since you used the verb "travel" in two sequential lines,

The ball of anger travels to the top
I think that it might strengthen the poem to change it in one of the lines or in both. For the first line, I would suggest using a verb like "pacing" to extend the frantic personification of the anger. For the second, the line following it
I can feel that I'm about to pop!
brings to mind verbs like "bubbles" or "boils" to use instead of "travels", as they lean into the pressure imagery conveyed by the word "pop".
I would also recommend changing the word "longing" in the line
as to me "longing" has a more passive and gentle connotation that clashes with the personification of anger in the poem. Maybe something like "desperate" or "screaming" could fit better?
Lastly, I think it would be really interesting if you expanded more on some of the metaphors and how they fit together in the poem! In particular, I think that you could weave together the water imagery ("welling up inside of me", "tidal wave"), the imagery of being trapped ("longing to be free", "my walls", "its slave"), and the final metaphor of hope and happiness being plants, into a cohesive narrative. Water is something that you definitely wouldn't want to be trapped inside any sort of room, and you could even incorporate some flooding or drowning imagery with it. However, water is also something that's necessary for plants to grow, so letting the anger out could also serve as symbolically "watering" hope and happiness. I would also love to see more detail about hope and happiness- maybe keep going with the plant metaphor and describe the sprout or the soil?
Overall I really enjoyed this poem! I think that your metaphors are artful and thought-provoking, and the concept is relatable. Good work!

Thank you so much for the review! I can tell that you put a lot of thought into your suggestions and I really appreciate all of the advice. I will definitely change some of the words and replace them with ones that coincide with the tone of the poem. I would have never thought of that! Again, thank you! <3

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:38 pm
grainne wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing your poem! It's fun to see all the variety in topics for poetry - anything from a reflection on love to a reflection on anger. This piece is certainly relatable, and you did a good job capturing the feeling of suppressed rage. I have a few suggestions for this piece. As always, take what you like and leave the rest!

First, I really love the imagery of anger welling up inside and bursting out in a tidal wave. The repetition of the phrase "a ball of anger" between the first and second stanza works well. However, repeating "a ball of anger" two lines in a row right in the beginning seems almost too repetitive. That's just my personal opinion, but it might be interesting to play around with some other phrases that describe your topic.

Maybe "a balloon of anger" would help emphasize the idea that it's filling up and filling up and eventually has to pop. A "bubbling stew of anger" gives the impression your anger is going to boil over. It's a short poem, so of course you can't put in every metaphor in the world, but considering a few other ideas might make your poem even more powerful.

Second, you use punctuation in some places (the second line of the second stanza and commas in a few places) but you don't seem to be using it consistently. I'd suggest putting in commas and periods where you'd naturally pause in the piece.

Finally, I love rhyming poems! It's so fun to see the way your rhymes add to this poem and further the main idea of rage pushing to get out. However, there are just a few rhymes that don't quite make sense to me. The idea "It's bashing it's head against my walls, I wish it was traveling down someone else's halls" wasn't quite clear in my head as a reader. One resource I use a lot when writing poetry is RhymeZone. It just gives a list of words you can consider that rhyme with the word you put in. Of course, it's totally up to you as the writer, but it might make your poem flow more naturally if you try out a few alternate rhymes.

Great job on this poem! Definitely relatable, and you have some really interesting imagery. Keep on writing.

Thank you for the kind review. I%u2019ll keep your advice in mind when I edit this poem! :D

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:39 am
MaxaM wrote a review...

Hello man! What a coincidence to see you again, lol. I am quite new at reviewing, so please go easy on me.
I really like the idea of your poem, and i think it's really relatable to a everyone since i think it's hard to believe that no one ever had issues with anger.
I don't really have all that much criticism to give, and if i had to give any, i'd say that the metaphor "Like a hammer creating a hole with a screw" sounds a bit awkward and stiff for your poem, so i think you could switch it by something more natural and maybe that gives a more destructive or chaotic sound, i tought of a few sugestions and if you're interested i could give them to you.
But, as a newbie myself i think this is all i can give, as a whole, even tough it's not really my style, your poem is very fluid and natural, and i only thing that part i mentioned kind of messed with it's flow. Please take my words with a bag of salt since i'm new at this, but it's basically it.
Hope you find this useful!

Thank you so much for the suggestion!

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin