z

Young Writers Society



YOU! yes you! the one reading this!

by Vincent


this is a little something i dug up a while ago. i dont have a title and not much has happened yet. so, COME ON CRITS! TEAR IT APART! there are probably a billion mistakes and i truly am sorry for that!

Artorius Dameon, son of Ambrose and descendant of General Barthio Dameon, the Father of Rodan and now known as the god of gods. Art was the emperor’s son and was a skilled combatant in many fighting techniques, including swordsmanship, archery and hand-to-hand combat. He lived in the beautiful city of Rodartus: the largest city of the Rodan Empire and housing its soldiers, citizens, merchants and royalty.

The city was laid upon three mountains: the first mountain was named the Red District that meant “the spilling of blood” and specialized in war. The second was the Gold District, which specialized in trade and Redeens, Rodans currency. The last was the White District meant “the Light” and specialized in Rodans religion called Rogeen. Artorius and his father were housed in the gold district.

Art was sitting on a thick branch of a tree that stood at the front of their house. They had a large yard and medium walls as to have some privacy. He was thinking of what is going to happen in the future.

Throughout the years he was told that he wasn’t normal, for he had marked the beginning of the end for Rodan for when he and Alasdair Temonas, a direct descendant of Dengas Temonas, the loyal bodyguard of Barthio, were born the same day and meant that the end of Rodan is to come.

He tried not to think about it, and watched the trade carts and merchants passing by. And every now and then he would see a patrol of soldiers, dressed in their armor and armed with their spears.

He saw Alasdair maneuvering his way past the crowd of people trying to get to their destinations. He then went into one of the shops and could be seen emerging from its back door, and then quickly climbed on a tree in front of Arts house and carefully jumped over the wall. He then ran towards their house but stopped at the tree when he had spotted Art sitting in it.

He climbed up and sat beside him and asked: “tell me, you are the emperor’s son and can afford to live in a nice little house in a quiet street in the White District, but you have to live in the busiest street in the busiest district! I mean, come on, I almost got killed out there!” Art grinned and replied: “Why? This way you’ll stay healthy! Oh, and if the guards see you next time, you would probably die, they would think your trying to assassinate us!” “Assassinate you? Ha! That’s a new one. Why would anyone want to dirty their sword or spear on you?!”

Ambrose Dameon stood inside his house looking at the two boys pushing and playing with each other in the tree. He let out a quiet sight and closed his eyes. A tear ran down his cheek. He wiped it of and opened his eyes. They were walking towards the gate, probably on one of their adventures again.

Ambrose was overwhelmed by sadness, how could two young boys at the age of fourteen be the bearers of such news? How could they survive knowing that they are marking the end of a civilization? He grew more proud of his son by every day that passes for knowing how his son could keep his fear from showing, but a full grown man, the emperor, cannot even bear the thought. He decided to visit the main temple in the white district.

He arrived a while later and stood at the entrance. It was a masterpiece of architectural work that was one of Rodartus most beautiful buildings. But the very same building held inside the large, smooth rock that had the inscription carved into it:

“Rodan shall thrive and grow, it shall become powerful, and it shall have many allies. Alas, there shall come a day were its beginning is repeated to cause the end. Rodan shall be destroyed when history is relived, when Rodans heroes come to make their last stand. All shall defend, all shall fight, and all shall die. When a descendant of Dameon and Temonas are born, they shall mark the beginning if the end. All shall defend, all shall fight and all shall die. Rodan shall exist no more.”

Ambrose entered the building and walked towards the stone which was laid into solid ground. It could not be dug out and cannot be broken. But he noticed a large crowd gathered around it. When the citizens saw the emperor approaching and opened up to let him pass. All had great smiles on their faces, some even crying of joy.

He did not understand what was going on until he saw two men that wore pitch black robes and white clothes that covered their mouth and nose. Only their hands and eyes showed. The were busy digging out the stone with black spades that had gold letters carved into it that glowed every time the spade touch the ground.

“How?” Ambrose fell to his knees. Rodan knew that the inscription had more to it. He asked the priest standing next to him how they could dig out the ground as if it was sand, and the priest replied that the spades were some special piece of equipment, and maybe had a dash of magic.

Art and Alasdair were on their way home after watching the soldiers that were training but people were running towards the white district. Alasdair spotted one of his friends, Annunzio, and grabbed him by his arm and asked: “what’s going on? Why are all these people in such a hurry?”

Annunzio looked at them and replied that two men have dug out the rock in the main temple. Art and Alasdair looked at each other and ran to the temple as fast as the could. The same thoughts were going trough their minds. “Do you think its going to announce something good this time?” art asked while they were running up the hill. “Maybe, or its just going to explain our end in absolute detail.” Alasdair smiled at art.

When they arrived there was a large crowd gathered at its entrance but soldiers were keeping them back. Art and Alasdair made their way past the crowd and eventually arrived at the entrance and were immediately let through by the guards. They saw Arts father reading the writing on the rock that was laid flat on the floor. They realized how big it actually was, since only half of it almost showed.

Ambrose turned around and smiled at his son. “Its good news, but I’ve heard better.” He said, and continued: “we have discovered that our end will not be caused by plague or Gea, the god of nature and weather, but by war. And we have a chance of survival, but only if we can find more allies to fight alongside our soldiers.”

Art and Alasdair had mixed feelings about this news; they have a chance of survival, but must fight in another war against a foe that can destroy civilizations? “There is yet more bad news. You and Alasdair are to go alone and find powerful allies, because not even the power of Rodan, Archan or the Pertainians combined can help us.

Only those who have ancestors that played a large roll in Rodans existence may assist you. Your friend, Annunzio, is one of them. The ancestor of the royal architects Archimedi. There are many people that are quite close to you both, but you don’t know how close.” Art looked at his father. “when do we leave?”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 2090
Reviews: 863

Donate
Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:09 am
Griffinkeeper wrote a review...



First two paragraphs are info-dumping. Get rid of both of them.

Fourth paragraph also info-dumps.

Ambrose Dameon stood inside his house looking at the two boys pushing and playing with each other in the tree. He let out a quiet sight and closed his eyes. A tear ran down his cheek. He wiped it of and opened his eyes. They were walking towards the gate, probably on one of their adventures again.


First, the abrupt change of perspective. Could you give us a transition before all this happens? Also, what is with the touchy feely stuff? Is this a sincere emotional reaction, or is it just an excuse to info-dump over this prologue?

Okay, so this prologue has the worst of all worlds: info-dumping, a prophecy, and more info-dumping. I'd suggest dumping this entire prologue and letting your main characters find out about this quest in the first few chapters or so.




User avatar


Points: 990
Reviews: 4

Donate
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:46 pm
EERC wrote a review...



Well... I have read worse stuff. I don't want to sound mean but you're spending too much time describing, the first chapter needs more action. It's the first one that usually helps the reader to decide if he/she wants to continue reading or not.

Your character Artolious... I hope to see more of that to get to know him better.

About the Red District, I would use another verb different than "mean" when I refer to its inclination to warring with other. Like this: The Red District or as many folks called it The Spilling Blood was famous for its warriors and military.

However, keep writing and have fun.




User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 61

Donate
Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:11 pm
DragonWriter wrote a review...



okay, first off, this is already boring. I know that was cruel, but it is. Make your chracter have at least one fault. Right now, your chracter, art, sounds too perfect. I mean, that why do I read about a perfect prince with a perfact life who is skilled in everything. That is what pops into my mind, reading that first line. usually that is how i judge if i want to read the book.

Second, I am Confused. Too much deatils, not enough action. You are making a mistake i even make somrtimes. What you are doing is listing all the information you need to know , and not the reader. Leave some mystery.

I cannot go into to much detail right now. I got to go. Sorry, pm me if you would like an explantion as to why i wrote this reveiw. I am sorry that it was so rough.




User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 105

Donate
Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:25 pm
Rigel wrote a review...



Your problem is that you want to have all of the background of an entire book in a short story. I'm sure that in a larger context many of these details would be welcome, but we don't need to know, for example, the names of the three districts. It would be fine if you just mentioned the difference in classes. It would be enough to support this.
If you just took the first chapter of the 5th Harry Potter Book and tried to pass it off as a short story it wouldn't make any sense. You have the same problem. If you want to write a book, write a book. Write it, and then post a sample that is representative of the text as a whole, is less dense, and doesn't try to tell the entire backstory in three paragraphs.
Maybe a piece just describing the world?




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 1190
Reviews: 57

Donate
Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:23 pm
Vincent says...



thanks ink, and...........someguy.

i really appreciate your crit, it pointed out stupid mistakes that i made.

dang, i REALLY nead to work on info dumping. i suck in that.

yeah, the names are weird, ill work on the meaning and reason

at the district thing i actually intended to mean that the colour of the district represented something.

and of course, paragraphs... working on it

with the prophicy thing: i thought the idea would be kinda cool, since it would eventually lead to alliances and war. but ill think of a better idea.

i really apreciate your posts, thanks guys!

vince




User avatar
280 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 280

Donate
Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:50 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot wrote a review...



First, Vince, I'd like to start this review by saying that I didn't read the last three to four paragraphs. Why? That shall be implied in time. Oh, and you need to use spellcheckers and grammarcheckers. Why? Because we'll cut off your head if you don't. :P

The biggest problem here is that you are telling and not showing. Everybody starts out with this problem.

The first two paragraphs are, to the grit, infodumps. Sore, sore, infodumps. Come to that, most of this text is infodump.

I assume you know the meaning of the term? Most of us on here delight in pointing out infodumps. ^_~ Well, if someone hasn't caught you yet, I shall elaborate. An infodump is basically an entire paragraph devoted to a character or place, all description/information that could easily be relayed into the story via dialogue and/or 1st person observation. Or something creative I can't remember right now.

So, if you cut away most of the infodump on here, you're left with about one paragraph. Maybe two or three. And they're dialogue.

And that dialogue is not well-spaced. Not good, not good at all! You want to be able to discern dialogue from the rest of the story so you can skip to it, don't'cha know. ;)

This

He climbed up and sat beside him and asked: “tell me, you are the emperor’s son and can afford to live in a nice little house in a quiet street in the White District, but you have to live in the busiest street in the busiest district! I mean, come on, I almost got killed out there!” Art grinned and replied: “Why? This way you’ll stay healthy! Oh, and if the guards see you next time, you would probably die, they would think your trying to assassinate us!” “Assassinate you? Ha! That’s a new one. Why would anyone want to dirty their sword or spear on you?!”


should read more like (and I'll be correcting any grammar/typo issues in here, too)

He climbed up and sat beside him and asked, “Tell me, you are the emperor’s son and can afford to live in a nice little house in a quiet street in the White District, but you have to live in the busiest street in the busiest district! I mean, come on, I almost got killed out there!”

Art grinned and replied, “Why? This way you’ll stay healthy! Oh, and if the guards see you next time, you would probably die, they would think your trying to assassinate us!”

“Assassinate you? Ha! That’s a new one. Why would anyone want to dirty their sword or spear on you?!”


See the difference? We know exactly who is speaking through the spacing. 'Tis Text Chi, and don't you ever ignore it. :*wags finger*:

Oh, and while I'm talking about the above paragraph, what's with using the :s for dialogue tags?

Now that I've finished a basic overview of your spacing/text/grammar issues, onto the ideas.


The city was laid upon three mountains: the first mountain was named the Red District that meant “the spilling of blood” and specialized in war. The second was the Gold District, which specialized in trade and Redeens, Rodans currency. The last was the White District meant “the Light” and specialized in Rodans religion called Rogeen. Artorius and his father were housed in the gold district.


[s]Ee-n-foe-DUMP![/s]

I'd write it more like this:

He stared at the other two mountains; the Red District, the "Spilling of the Blood", and the Gold District, the center of many a diligent trade...


But that sentence sucked, so don't use it. ^_~

The second thing about this paragraph is that it's kind of...forgive me...stupid.

"Red District" also means "The Spilling of Blood"?

Eh??

That just doesn't make any sense. They're both in English.

So let's look at "Red District".

Red = red, obviously. District, by the online dictionary I'm using, is "1. A division of an area, as for administrative purposes." The base of the meaning is "a division of land". (Just ignore the "administrative purposes" at the end of that definition. ;))

So the "Spilling of Blood" thing is entirely unnecessary, because the two do not mean/mirror each other. If you were to pull a new language out of the hat to do this, however, with a phrase/word to mean "spilling of blood", it would help it. For now, if you're not willing to formulate a language, I suggest you dump the whole secondary names for the Districts thing. It may sound cool, but really, if there's no special language, there's no need.

Skimming down through the unnecessary information, we get wind of a prophecy of some sort. Break it down, it's "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to see it in the future." And that two babies, born on the same day, will bring an end to Rodan.

Well, prophecies are all well and good, but kind of cliche these days. I know you can think of something more original, maybe slap on another few kids who were born on the same days who want to fulfill the prophecy? Hey, that'd be neat.

Back to the language thing, I think you actually need it. We're introduced to a maelstrom of foreign-sounding names. How are they here? What do they mean? A language should clear this up. Come to that, I'm not really sure about any of the characters because you haven't been showing us clearly. Show and do not tell!

Overall, I'm very slightly curious to what will happen and why. Because I'm inconsistent that way. I'd be more curious if we saw a bit more of this universe.

In all actuality, I think that a story like this should be divided into two persons: the two kids who are The and End. (Can't remember their names, LOL) One chapter from so-and-so's point of view, the next from blah-blah-blah's point of view....

And so I end this weird example of a 'tique. PM me if you have any questions on my review, oh, and welcome, I didn't catch you in the Welcome forums, did I?

Lohl,
Ink




User avatar
267 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 267

Donate
Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm
Someguy says...



Right...
I'll tell you at school.





The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitudes.
— Viktor Frankl