Home » Literary works » Script » General

A Homework Carol, Scene One

by Vil

SCENE ONE

Int. Library - Front Desk - Night

STRINGBEAN is peacefully self-checking out several books as the assistant librarian, VILNIUS, makes sure the system is working properly. The library is dimly lit, as all book lovers like it, and a sweet aroma fills the entire building. EUPHORIA works into the next room, making sure that the new books she has recieved are in perfect condition.

STRINGBEAN: (quietly) No, Vil, I will not do the astronomy homework. You won't do your chemistry homework.

VILNIUS: (normal) Yes, but I have my reasons. There's so much to think about, so much to do!

EUPHORIA comes into the main room, holding a stack of thirty or so books that tower above her. VILNIUS stops what he's doing to catch some of the books that are falling and puts them on the counter one by one.

VILNIUS: (still catching books) It's one thing to ignore a subject for about a month and a half because you don't have time for it. It's a completely different issue if you just don't do it.

STRINGBEAN: (dryly) But you also write!

Vilnius: (slams a giant encyclopedia down on the counter) I would like to have some sanity after Covid is over, and if that means writing like a lunatic, so be it!

STRINGBEAN: (sadly) Well... yes... but--

VILNIUS: (quickly interrupting with another giant book) No but's, no if's, or the old lady with the rings gets it!

EUPHORIA: (startled) I'm not old!

VILNIUS: (laughing) I'm talking about Sinestra!

STRINGBEAN: (huffs) You can't kill Sinestra.

VILNIUS: (plainly) Just do the homework. Please.

STRINGBEAN: (sighing) I'll think about it...

END OF SCENE ONE

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:12 am
spunkyspacekitty wrote a review...

Heyya! Spunky here to get points! er, review! Anyways, let's get into this shall we?

Glows:This is really good! The conversation is smooth and believable, and there is humor in it (which I love). The line,

"No but's, no if's, or the old lady with the rings gets it!"

really cracked me up.

Grows: One time you didn't capitalize VILNIUS. Consistency man! XD! Also, I know star covered this, but the part where it says VILNIUS was normal, it seems kinda weird. Just something to think about.

Bye for now!

Vil says...

oof I missed one XD

Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:12 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey, Vil, I'm going to try and help get some of these works out the Green Room xD I think this will mostly be commentary since this is a fun and short piece you've got c:

NOOO YOU MUST DO YOUR ASTRONOMY HOMEWORK. AND VIL MUST DO HIS CHEM HOMEWORK

Honesty, there's always a lot to do Dx
I feel like the "normal" is a little strange cx What about Vil is normal? His voice? Expressions? Just a thought :)

EUPHORIA comes into the main room, holding a stack of thirty or so books that tower above her.

Omg how is she carrying 30 books, I need that power

I approve, but DO YOUR HOMEWORK xD

I was wondering why you called Euphoria old xD
I love how you've referenced one of your writings in this writing :p

DON'T JUST THINK ABOUT IT; DO IT

Scene one is amazing xD I'm pretty sure you wrote this as a fun writing project, not necessarily a serious one. If it was more serious, I'd suggest adding more detail, description, and a little bit of background information, but I think this is perfect as a cute YWS screenplay. Your characters seem pretty accurate to their human and non-human counterparts, and I enjoyed reading how you brought yourself, Stringbean, and Euphoria to life xD

ALSO, I love the title of this cx it's a very lovely rendition of a Christmas Carol, and I will defintely enjoy this one more than the original. I'm excited to see what features of the original correspond to yours, and Lady's appearance in this, as well as mine :p

<3

Vil says...

Thanks, Star! If I *had* been more serious, this would be longer, but one day I started writing, and this happened XD

Thank you for your help.

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo