z

Young Writers Society



The Autumn Door - «3.2 St. Anthony»

by Vervain


-text removed-


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:56 pm
Evander wrote a review...



Heyo, Raye! I'm back here with another review.

Ahhh, I loved this chapter so much. I loved the interaction between Jupiter and Ramsay, especially with the bits of the past peaking in. There are so many stones that still need to be overturned, but then like ten more stones turn up? (I hope that makes sense.) Regardless, I love the unfolding mystery that's presented here (especially the fact that there's nothing in Scott's past. Like, holy crap. Was everything about Scott just completed erased by a faery? Did this happen to Fred? Is Ramsay lying? If so, why is ve lying?)

Jupiter sighed and rested her forehead on the steering wheel.

Holy crap, Batman! That's some unsafe driving right there! Is she at least stopped at a light? D:

some were visitors with sharp teeth and hidden roads poked between realities.
She was surprised more people didn’t disappear during the flower festivals.

First part: The visual is sort of confusing? Or at least, I started to imagine visitors with sharp teeth and then fitting a road onto their bodies was kinda weird? I'm not quite sure how to fix this line, but I'd definitely separate the two visuals out? (Uh, hidden roads makes me think of like... differing paths to differing realities too? Which makes me think of the faeries? Do faeries have pointed teeth? o: )

Purple part! Why don't more people disappear? I know that Mother Superior made sure that faeries weren't a problem in the Gramarye, but Nerissa was able to come over... (And Ramsay has faerie pals, apparently? Like, uh, her warding abilities might be a bit *off*.) Did Mother Superior ward based on faerie courts? So like, Seelie faeries are chill and Unseelie can't come around? Do you even have those courts? Oops.

he didn’t seem particularly invested in keeping track of his cash. She held out her wrist for the bright-pink wristband he presented her

The antecedent in this instance refers to her dad, but then the next usage is the attendant.

She’d given up trying to be invisible long ago,

In the last part, she made a bubble of ignore me -- I would assume that she would have done something similar? If so, the clarifying question I have is that if someone wants to see something under the ignore me spell, then the ignore me spell is useless? I'm wondering about Jupiter's current parameters and limitations in regards to magic.

By and large, Zelda wasn’t.

Oh man, is Zelda bullied a bunch? D: I was expecting Jupiter to go into what she saw Zelda experiencing (directly drawing contrast to her own experience), but instead it kind of fell flat and brushed over that. (Although, I love the line about the tattoo!) Was the brushing over intentional?

Okay! I really, really loved this chapter and I hope that you'll keep on writing! Let me know if there's something that you'd like me to focus on in my next review. If you ever have any questions or comments or just want to shout about your story, then you can always catch me on Discord~

-E




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:20 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



I admit at first I was slightly tripped up by the pronouns, like I got here

“Always. What do you want vem for?” He tilted his head up in a curious way, eyebrows inching towards his hairline.


and kind of assumed it was a typo or something, but then I got here

Jupiter cracked one eye open and tried to focus on Ramsay’s face. It was difficult—in the flashing lights, ve was never quite the same from one moment to the next.


and realized this is a nb person using ve/vey/vem pronouns and was like, "Ah, okay, cool." I mostly want to bring that up because based on what I've seen here before I fully expect that you're going to get some reviews like "what?" or "um these pronouns are confusing" or "does this characater have to be nb" etc AND I just wanted to get here first and go "GOOD JOB A+ FOR REPRESENTATION AND I UNDERSTOOD WHAT WAS GOING ON EVEN IF IT SLIGHTLY CONFUSED ME AT FIRST BUT IT DEFINITELY WOULDN'T MAKE ME PUT THE BOOK DOWN" hence yesterday's comment even though I was on mobile and couldn't review yet.

Also I love the fact that Ramsay and Jupiter have dated and probably gone a bit far physically given that one comment Ramsay made and that Jupiter still seems to feel something. I'm not sure she's still actually interested in Ramsay that way, per se, but I mean

Ramsay’s voice was a shot of adrenaline straight to the heart.


It was hard to stand there and look at vem. Looking and not touching and not smelling—it had only been two months since they last met in that swirl of fog... Jupiter felt so lost without vem


Also??? Ramsay surely still feels something too, even if ve seems like maybe not the healthiest person to have a relationship with, give vis need of control.

Ramsay tucked the joint into her hand. “It’s okay, Jupey. I’m not jealous. Promise,” ve lied.

Ve always lied.


My only issue with this is that I don't have a clear enough idea of what Ramsay looks like. (Well, okay, I have a good idea NOW because I saw that picture you posted earlier, but shhhhh.) Is vis hair long or short? Is ve slim or fat? What kind of clothes is ve wearing?

Which might also be part of the point, given this line

tried to focus on Ramsay’s face. It was difficult—in the flashing lights, ve was never quite the same from one moment to the next. Now laughing; now frowning; now lighting up a bowl and passing it around the room.


and the fact that ve's a Seer, so like "hard to get a clear idea of" kind of goes along with that in a way.

re: your author's notes and feelings on this chapter as a transition, I liked it. I like seeing more of the magic and getting a sense of danger from all these creepy "Light be with you" people and getting more of a read on Jupiter from her feelings here. So of course you can scrap it if you decide it ultimately doesn't work for the story, but at this point in this draft I like it.




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:28 pm
BluesClues says...



Review later bc I'm on mobile this weekend but 10/10 for including an nb character!





There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)