Glimpsing Infinity

by Poopsie

You always told me that there is no such thing as sunlight. Only glass bottles reflecting the dreams rising towards the heavens.

Rays of light bend together, curling around and around into knots so tight you have to turn off the lights to see. The sun’s tears curve and bend, swinging to the groove of days past. Whirling like tempests, shedding their transparent skins and becoming stars that pockmark the purple twilight, just before rosy cheeked dawn bleeds through the darkened canvas and the sun comes out to shower another day onto the world.

You always said the world was a layered quilt and if we flew high enough we could tear it all apart.

‘’Don’t lookdown!’’ Our rocket ship blasts off into the starry blanket, full of glass bottles reflecting dreams.

You said the stars held the quilt together, as we fly to purple hued heights I begin to see the fiery stitches of stars stabbing through the darkness like needles through wool.

The sky is spinning now, throwing us into the fabric of dreams.

I reach out and grab the seams, ripping the world away and climbing to infinity, where the golden haired dawn stretches and begins her parade down into the sleepy twilight towns and time comes to a halt, then slowly slides along as if it hadn’t heard of the word ‘wait’.

Newspapers sag along the boundaries of infinity, collecting the dusts of yesterday and the day before. They wait for some miracle like a smooth hand grabbing them and taking them into an embrace and staying with them until the world falls apart and the fiery fabric pulls us away again, into some new blanket covering our eyes so we can never squint into the sun and see our reflections smiling back.

Leaves long gone line the vacant grounds of infinity, waiting for some kind soul to whisper their release, give them a chance to join the fabric world once again and re-live the days past when the ground was lava and the swing set in the yard sent us to worlds faraway, planets of letting go, stars of forgetting, it’s what you eventually did anyway

We used to sit in between the seams of the world and stare up at infinity, scouring its bare back for something we lost as the fabric of life wore away and tore up the past.

Was it time?

Was it innocence?

Or was it just the little rivulets of age slipping through our hands as we drank in the world for the first time. Even then, we slowly lost it.

You said it was impossible to glimpse infinity, you could only lay in wait of one day when all the planets aligned and all the lights were green and infinity would stop and wait for a passer-by to begin its joyous race again, dodging in and out of dreams, rushing through days faster than the lonely tears down my cheeks.

In the end it was easy to glimpse infinity, I just had to look for you, my satellite, my star, my tiny bottle filled with gallons of dreams and wishes. Wishes of you coming back to me. Wishes of picking me up with a smooth hand and holding me in your embrace and staying with me until the world falls apart and the fiery fabric pulls us away again, into some new blanket where we could never squint into the sun and see our reflections smiling back. You were always the passer-by, the green light, the force that made the planets align just for me, some far away charm pushing and struggling against the longing gusts of life, move on move on move on. Somehow I knew, that was why I caught infinity for you. It sits above my fabric hearth on my fabric mantle in my warm fabric house just across from yours. But every now and then, it gets blown away by the dreamy wind

And I have to leave you to chase it.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:08 am
Rook wrote a review...

Hey verser! I'm here to fulfill that WRFF request you made.

SO! Interesting piece you have here. I can see that you put a lot of thought and effort into it. Strangely enough, the voice in this piece reminds me very much of my own voice. hmm. Interesting.

You had a lot of really nice imagery . What you were saying was definitely visible. The tone was nice, and the theme and story were nice as well. Most of your problems are small, persnickety things that are definitely fixable.

Probably your biggest problem, however, was that this comes off as a bit pretentious in a couple ways. Way #1 : it was really lengthy. You don't talk about really new things, and there weren't enough transitions between stanzas. The whole poem was pretty much in one color, and so it kind of got boring as we went along. Length and boredom leads to people not feeling like they want to finish the poem.

Way #2 : your language and wording came across like you were trying to be poetic, and that sort of came off as pretentious. It's not a feeling I can put my finger on, but I used to write like this all the time. In fact, I'm thinking of one particular poem of mine that I loved for a long time, and then recently I realized it has this unnameable pretentiousness. This is the poem: Wanderlust It has similar themes to yours also. Actually, now that I look over it, I realize it has many many of the same problems as yours has. One thing, however that I think is missing from your poem that I have in mine is transitions. There's a distinct arc of what's happening. I go from day to dusk to night. In most lengthy poems such as this, it's important to have an order. I've done chronological, I've seen people focus on one tiny detail and move out to a broader scope and vice-versa, I've seen people start inside and move outside... There just needs to be an order so that the audience can tell what's going on and doesn't get lost in your sea of images.

But what I was really going to talk about here was your actual wording. It comes off like you're trying really hard to be poetic. I'm not sure how to advise you to fix this. You just have to try not to sound like you're trying to be poetic. Good luck with that. I still struggle with this.

Finally, Way #3 : your subject matter is pretentious too. You have a really cool story and some really cool images, and even the little love thing going on here is cute, but there is TOO MUCH OF IT! The reader is so inundated with fanciful, ethereal, puffly-fluffy-cloud stuff that he or she is starting to feel sick or something. The way you present all this is pretentious in that "look at what my beautiful friend is and how she thinks and how beautiful it all is. You don't know her and don't get to see this like I do haha!" Maybe that's only me who's thinking like this, but still. This, infact, reminds me of another piece I wrote: A Small Black Marble in a Sea of Glass again, I used to love this piece, and recently I've realized that it is extremely pretentious.

Now for some smaller problems. Like grammar and stuff.

You struggle for tense in your very first sentence. Are you doing this in present or past tense? You need to decide for the entire poem and made sure it's all up to snuff in that tense.

there a part where you say "rosy cheeked" which I think should have a hyphen.

You use the word "infinity" and words like it a LOT in this piece. I know that's what it's about, but I really think it would be better if you didn't use it as much. Trust your readers that they can remember what you're talking about. And don't be as repetitive as you are right now.

Alright, this is all I think I have. Very good work. You've got a lot of good images here, now I suggest you pick the best and pick the best story line. You can do it! Let me know if you have any questions!

~fortis

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:14 pm
Lavenderfields wrote a review...

Hello, I have just read your text and wanted to share a few thoughts.
Your language is very picturesque, and your characters make very interesting comparisons. You perfectly managed to keep the melancholic mood of the text, well done. However, I don't see where is it all going, as all the abstract descriptions have to lead somewhere. I suggest you put some story behind your characters in this text. Who is "you"? What happened to the characters that they no longer together? I think this would really add some spice into this writing. Keep writing!

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:57 am
StupidSoup says...

One of the most amazing things I have ever seen. This literally brings a tear to my eye and makes my voice crack.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:00 am
felistia wrote a review...

Hi Verser, Felistia here with a short review on your poem\short story.

First off, I really love all the colourful descriptions in here. How you describe the dawn and the stars and lots of other wonderful every day things. The words you use are very interesting and have an array of diverseness. The ending is a perfect way to end the poem\short story. I can't find any grammar or spelling mistakes in this so, well done.

I do have some very minor nit-picks. Being that there is no real story to this piece it drags on a little bit and that could just be me, but I think this would work better if it was a little shorter. One more thing, you say that it is poetry and it is sort of, but I think it would fit better in another category like other. Yet again just my opinion. Feel free to ignore it.

On the whole I really loved it and look forward to more of you wonderful work. Have a great day\night.

Verser says...

thank you ;D

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket