z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

The Land Called Fear

by Valkyrie17


AN: So here is a piece which is the beginning of a story I am in the process of writing. I need help with editing this so please point out any grammatical errors you see! I also have a problem of switching between different tenses. Again, if you see me doing that please point it out so I can correct it. I most likely wont be posting the next part of this; I mainly need help on just tidying this up before I continue writing the story. Thanks in advance! And I hope you enjoy this. :D

P.S - This piece helped inspire my other work called 'The Eyes' so there may seem to be some similarities between the descriptions.

"Charlotte!" A voice called out disturbing the girls daydreaming.

"Charlotte, I said are you okay?"

"Sorry, yes I'm fine. It's so beautiful here. I can't stop admiring it..." Charlotte replied coming out of her daze. "Thank you so much for taking me here. I know you don't like this kind of thing," she looked over to her boyfriend of three years. His short hair, which was a dark brown, seemed to gleam in the sunlight. Hakon had contrasting bright blue eyes with rectangle glasses covering them.

"It's okay baby, I know how much you love it." He smiled sweetly at her stroking her hair and leaning over to place a kiss on her lips. Her eyes filled with longing as he pulled away; desperately wanting more than a light kiss. Charlotte moved forward and snaked her arm over his chest until her hand was resting on his cheek, gently pulling their faces together. Their lips locked together with passion, treating every touch as it were their last. They broke apart to catch their breath and the couple lay in each others arms on the grass.

They were in the beautiful gardens of an old lord who had been well known for his Tudor style layout. There were rose bushes of every colour with grass pathways in between them. The couple were laying on a patch of grass that was surrounded by red rose bushes in a circle around them except for a space to exit at one point. It was a beautiful English summers day that gave the gardens a life of its own. You needed only to close your eyes and you could imagine being in a world of your own. For Charlotte, she had felt like she had be transported back to the Tudor era where women had beautiful gowns and were courted by gentleman. She had already decided that Hakon was the only one for her and he had already told her many times that he only ever wanted to marry her.

They lay there intertwined on the grass for what seemed a long while, just enjoying each others comfort. "Let's have one more walk around and we can go yeah? Maybe get something to eat?" Hakon smiled at Charlottes suggestion. "Sure thing baby whatever you want. Today is all about you remember. Your 21st is a special birthday after all."

"Thanks,” Charlotte laughed slightly at his reply, “I'm so lucky to have the perfect boyfriend." Hakon chuckled.

"Don't get too carried away. Remember I only have a bit of money. How are you feeling about McDonalds??" Charlotte jabbed him in the ribs.

"Cheeky! How about pizza?" He rolled his eyes at her compromise.

"Because that is so much more grander." Charlottes face lit up as laughter broke through her lips. The shine of the sun seemed to come from her. Her long brown hair bounced lightly as she laughed, showing the small waves and curls that appeared towards the end of the strands.

Charlotte jumped up and pulled Hakon with her; brushing grass off her knee length summer dress. "Time for that last walk." She chirped and pulled him from their secret garden. They continued to walk through the rose garden. A butterfly of blue and yellow fluttered down to land on Charlottes bare shoulder. Keeping completely still she smiled as Hakon took a picture of this beautiful sight with his phone. Despite the blazing sun he wore black converses, an old pair of plain jeans and a simple t-shirt with a collar. Without warning the butterfly flew away to continue its short life. Charlotte sighed at such a melancholy thought as watched her butterfly fly into the sunlight.

"What's up?" Hakon asked, wondering what had brought the falourne look upon her face. "Nothing," she replied with a smile. Her face lifting but her eyes lingering with sadness. "There's a certain loneliness in all this beauty, don't you think?" Charlotte replied looking into his beautiful face. He smiled sweetly and said "I guess so,” Hakon replied while tucking a strand of lose hair behind her left ear. “Focus on the beauty and the peace it brings being here. It's your birthday baby don't let a butterfly bring you down." He chuckled slightly to reassure her.

"Yeah your right," Charlotte replied with yet another sigh, "Why don't you wait here while I just have a final look at this part and then we can go?" Hakon couldn't keep the joy from his face. Truthfully, he had gotten bored a long time ago and couldn't wait to leave. Yet seeing her this happy made the boredom worthwhile. "Alright, I'll be waiting for you just here."

"Okay, I won't be long!" She answered striding off to her favourite part of the gardens. Hakon rolled his eyes as she went; he was prepared for her to take at least half an hour.

Charlotte walked slowly around and around in different patterns through the secluded garden. There were roses of different colours assorted in a way that, from high up, would show the most dazzling patterns. She came to a halt at the base of the Tudor rose pattern. There among the green leaves was a deep violet rose by itself. It seemed to lean towards Charlotte, wishing that she would smell it's beautiful perfume and fall in love. Needless to say, she was in awe of the stray rose that had no brothers or sisters near by. It was there solely for her. A present from the garden she thought. It did look odd and drew attention away from the pattern of roses above it. Charlotte was slowly convincing herself to reach out and take it. It would serve as a souvenir of the wonderful day she had. Her hand inched forward incredibly slowly as if waiting to be caught so that the action would be stopped. The petals of the rose were the only things in her vision. The stem brushed her forefingers and then a short sharp pain shot through them. A dark red that rivalled the reddest rose trickled out of her skin. Beads of blood gathered to pour over her finger. 'Damn,' she thought, 'how did I not see that.'

While she was admiring the small prick, she did not notice a figure slink out from the hedges of the maze behind her. It moved soundlessly towards her, drinking in the image before it. A void of onyx filled where it's eyes should be, slowly clearing with each step it took towards the human. Charlotte jumped as the stranger laid a hand on hers. Turning to see who had touched her, she found a man who's green eyes peered into hers as if looking into her soul. Long ebony hair cascaded down from his head. Her startled eyes roamed down his handsome form yet couldn't focus on anything except his face. He had pale features with an aged beauty which filled her gaze.

Slender fingers brought her cut finger to his deadly cold lips. Lost in the trance of his eyes, Charlotte did not resist this movement. Treating it as an invitation to continue he continued to place the tip of her finger in his mouth. Had she not been frozen by his features she would have seen the evil glint sparkling in the seemingly green eyes. He held her gaze as he caressed her thorn torn skin with his tongue, gently easing the crimson liquid into his mouth. Reality dragged Charlotte back to the present. No longer did his gaze entice her with sweet promises. Instead the black void creeped back into them sending her promises of another kind. Of pain and death. Of unimaginable torture. She screamed inside her head trying to break the hold he had on her. To any that was watching would have only seen her shaking slightly as if a breeze had swept through her. A sinister laugh rose from within her and suddenly she had control of her body again. Without a moments hesitation Charlotte stumbled away, pulling her hand back to safety, and run away from whatever that was. The further she moved from the dark presence the more she felt the warm sun and heard the birds singing.

Finally she made it back to Hakon with tears staining her face. "Charlotte! What happened? What's wrong?" He brought her close in an embrace to try and rid the look of her horror she beheld.

"I-I'm not ... I think... I-I don't know." She replied, shaking with fear as if in mid winter; causing her to stutter. “Let's just go,” she managed to get out. A spell of dizziness befell her causing her to sway and lean onto Hakon.

“Ok baby lets go,” he agreed, feeling spooked by her sudden change but not letting it show. He held her closer and began walking back to the car park.

Charlotte remained silent for the rest of their day. Hakon tried teasing replies out of her but would only get a shake of a nod of her head in reply. She wasn't hungry anymore so he drove straight back to their apartment. Throughout the whole car journey, Charlotte had tucked herself into her seat as far away from him as she could get as well as avoiding his gaze.With each passing moment Hakon became more and more worried. What had brought on such a change? Charlottes' mind was a mess. Even with her eyes wide open all she could see were the haunting black holes of the strangers eyes. They wouldn't leave her head. When she looked at Hakon the eyes would spike with anger. Images of his flesh falling from his skin as the flames consumed him would fill her vision. She knew it wasn't really happening - it was because of the eyes - however this knowledge didn't lessen the horror. Charlotte was smart enough to keep quite about her new vision. For now.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
303 Reviews


Points: 11152
Reviews: 303

Donate
Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm
StoneHeart wrote a review...



Hey Valkyrie . . . Black here for your requested review.

First off: You do realize that vampire stories are completely cliché? Granted, vampire stories sometimes turn out to give a LOT of emotional push to readers. Some of them can grab readers and just drag them in. But that doesn't change the fact that they are COMPLETELY unoriginal. I mean, they were thought up FIVE HUNDRED YEARS AGO (if not more).

It's okay to use vampires (I guess), but I really think you should try to be original. All those New York Times Bestsellers write original stories, don't they? And what writer doesn't wanna be a New York Times Bestseller?! Anyway: You use the whole vampire idea fairly well (so far) and I can see plenty of emotional tension up ahead (and a mussed up life).

Anyway: This isn't going to be a huge review, and though I do want you to know that you have decent potential with this piece I am going to be skipping on to your problems right away. I'm glad that you warned me about your grammar because quite frankly it needs a whole lot of help: Probably more than reviewers can give.

Your spelling isn't the complete best, and I personally don't think that you're introducing your character's enough before you go and jump into the story itself (though that's not necessarily a bad thing, a newbie writer should always go for a bit more explanation -I think- and less right-in-the-middle-of-everything action). Luckily you seem to already realize that you have a grammar and spelling problem so it'll save me time proving things to you!

I'll start with solving your spelling problem. Here are a couple of examples of misspellings (followed by an ULTIMATE solution to them):

A dark red that rivalled the reddest rose trickled out of her skin. Beads of blood gathered to pour over her finger. 'Damn,' she thought, 'how did I not see that.'


'rivalled' should have only one 'l' (making it 'rivaled').

"What's up?" Hakon asked, wondering what had brought the falourne look upon her face. "Nothing," she replied with a smile.


'falourne' should be (I think) 'forlorn'. For some reason I always thought that 'wazzup' was an american thing -_- weird, huh.

Anyway, you do have a couple other spelling problems on top of these. The solution to most all spelling mistakes is so simple: A SPELL CHECKER! It will solve the problem completely and utterly! You can get one off of the internet pretty easily (or just use an online one -like Google Spell checker). Anyway. LE PROBLEM IS SOLVED! DAR YOU GO!

Now for your grammar. While your spelling isn't the very best, and with a VERY small amount of work could be fixed, your grammar is, quite frankly, miserable. Sorry, to say it, but it's the truth. -_- Sadly there is no universal grammar-checker, like with spelling. Grammar's a bit too complicated for that, and grammar-checker's can only fix really simple mistakes. It takes a lot of work to fix grammar problems.

I'd just love to point out your problems for you one by one, but I have a horrid habit of mine of not quoting the author's work itself too much. Instead I'll give you some ways you can fix the problem in your style which is causing your grammar to be a problem in the first place. There are a number of things you can do. First: I advise you to look up some articles on grammar (check out [url=http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=98770]The Great Grammar Compendium[/ur] on YWS itself) and read them.

Grammar articles really can help. You could also try to get yourself a nit-picking reviewer to work through things with you (I happen to know Eloquentdragon enjoys spending a lot of time doing stuff like that). You could also practice. At the end of the day your grammar problems will only really be solved through practicing your writing itself. It takes a lot of time, but I promise that if you keep up with your writing you'll look back one day and see how far you've truly come.

Anyway, though I have a feeling this review will not live up to full expectations, I still do hope that it helps you in some small way! If you'd like to talk ('bout anything) I'm pretty easy to PM/ SM. Till then, time out! (Feel free to PM your thoughts of this review to me as well!).

Remember: KEEP WRITING!


~Black~




User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 2021
Reviews: 61

Donate
Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:43 pm
View Likes
rainbowcabbit wrote a review...



I agree with Bacon, AMAZING IMAGERY<3333333 I totally LOVE the vampire part!! I'm obsessed with vampires, and I think the story should be continued. However, I did notice your tenses switching here and there. That can usually be fixed through revision. I also noticed you are indeed missing comas in quite alot of places. And Finally I did see some missing words and such, so just reread your work before posting, and that should be solved. Again, if I didn't mention, I LOVE the PLOT<33333 So keep up the good work!




Valkyrie17 says...


Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^^ To be honest I wasn't heading for a vampire angel - more demonic - but I can see why you thought that. :)



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 841
Reviews: 13

Donate
Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm
View Likes
IntellectualBacon wrote a review...



Right, so you're looking for some critiques.
FIRSTLY, I HAVE TO GET ACROSS THAT, SWEEEEET DAMN, I LOVED YOUR DESCRIPTIONS.
Okay, now that's out of the way, I can't help but notice - as a slight grammar freak - that you're missing quite some commas, with a bit of spelling mistakes here and there, and also confusion with "your" and "you're". I don't know about you, but to readers as sensitive to these spots as I am, these mistakes kind of make any writing a turn off.
Anyhow, I loved the relationship between Hakon and Charlotte, and "There's a certain loneliness in all this beauty, don't you think?" was a great quote.

-Bacon




Valkyrie17 says...


Ok... So I clicked 'Hide Reply' by accident and I can't see what I posted. Can you see it? 0.0 If not then thanks for the review and I'm so happy you like that characters. :D Also, I said that I was worried that quote wouldn't fit in with that moment but if you liked it then it must have been good! :D Thank you! ^^





I can see it, don't worry. You're very welcome. :D
Can't wait for the next one.

- Bacon



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 315
Reviews: 23

Donate
Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:33 pm
Pokemonlover545 wrote a review...



Hello this is a review about the beginning because I have not read ALL of it yet. Just part of it I have read.... I liked the beginning where it said that stuff. Also, I DON'T GET HOW SOMEONE IS SUPPOSED TO PUT 250 CHARACTERS IN ONLY 4 SENTENCES. I'm so confused! I'm pretty sure that 250 characters wouldn't look like much so.......I guess.......I think I should read the rest of this. I only made a review because I want to get alot of points and the highest I can get is 150. So I guess.....END OF REVIEW AND GOODBYE. And I don't really think this will become a review. Maybe it will. Depends on the number of the characters I typed.





Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that.
— Ellen Degeneres