Castle Scene

by Unfinite

Just wrote this in a few minutes off the top of my head in an attempt to practise my descriptions and stuff. Tear it to shreds and let me know how I can improve. Thanks in advance!

The castle was speckled with moonbeams which had broken through the thick cloud cover overhead, the river meandered slowly around the hind of the keep and the grass rustled slowly in the soft midnight breeze, the light from the moon casting the blades in a blue-black hue.

Though seemingly the perfect definition of beauty, the castle was far from it; concealed by the night, the corpses floating downriver went unnoticed. Ignored by the light from the moon were the many guards patrolling the perimeter of the castle. And the grass, with its haunting sheen had been the site of a brutal battle not so many years past.

Truthfully the interior of the castle was a marvel to behold; the architects had managed to design the perfect balance between spacious and cosy, so that the soft light of the flickering torches basked the corridors in a reassuring gleam and the throne room looked simply majestic – not so large as to be intimidating and yet not appearing so small that it seemed meagre.

And yet against this frightfully beautiful nightscape it was the people inside the castle who truly defined it. Like the night which encapsulated the castle, the people who resided within were dark and devious but - to all but the most diligent of inspections - appeared to be as homely as the castle itself.

Unfinite says...

Thanks. And about the corpses... probably a bit OTT, but I just wanted to make a scene which really demonstrated how appearances can be deceiving.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:36 pm
Bivrax says...

I think it was pretty good. It had some nice descriptions, that gave it a calm feel to it...

besides the corpses floating down stream.

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables