z

Young Writers Society



the floor is a mess.

by Tuesday


The floor is a mess.  

Books, papers, and little things scattered around like little cities,

each with a person or thing to live in,

clothes, shoes and, boxes

on the bins that lay with memories of my childhood,

drawers, paintings, and stories

overfilling the baskets that need to be sorted,

coins, cords, and rocks

messed with markers neatly next to them.

Memories have happened in this room,

crying on the bed with a monster stunk under to a sudden idea to write a novel.

A collection of stones around the edge of a broken bookshelf.

Lined paper scattered around like ideas.

Overflowing dressers that seems to never to close.

A bin of old pictures, smiling at a faceless camera.

Books, headphones, and journals worn and broken like my pride.

The bed is covered with snot, tears, and sweat.

Pillows threw across the room, leaning against the mirror where I stand.

TV set, the wires tangled like matted hair.

The floor is a mess.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:36 am
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hey Tue,

This is familiar XD

So after a cold read, meaning after a while since we worked on making this, I think this turned out pretty nice. You should watch the end punctuation. you get heavy with the periods at the end near the second half of the poem and it doesn't really match with the rest of it. Also, you should try to cut out anything that's repetitive and narrow this down now that you've had some time away from it.

What you'll be doing is basically syphoning off the stuff that's risen to the top and doesn't seem to fit any more, or that is making it longer without giving it any flavor, [empty calories if you will] and leaving the best of it. There are a few ways to go about doing that. You can either read it again and just take away things that never were expanded upon, or expand upon them and take away things that do not make strong images any more. Personally, I'd suggest you do the first one. Look through this and see what actually makes a good scene of a messy room and take out things that don't add to the emotional connection the room has for you.

After that, you can just break the lines up in the second stanza into more lines and make stanzas in the poem. The stanzas will help you develop an image and overall emotion that you want to express within a single stanza, and the lines will help make it look a little less choppy and help the reader flow through the poem. The more periods you have at the end of the poem, the more likely the reader is to not come back to the next line. Think of it like a runway. If they get distracted by whatever else is on their screen, it's a perfect place to leave because of all that white space on that side.

Here are a few links about editing that might help you edit this as well.

Poetry-Editing Checklist
How to Write Good Poetry

-Aley




User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 1425
Reviews: 104

Donate
Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:34 pm
Holiday30 wrote a review...



Lol you would never get to stay at my mom with a room like this......she been done had a nervous break down. Alright first let me say this poem is put together really well. I love your metaphor and descriptive word....Have you ever thought of music writing, Because As I read what you write I personally feel like you could be a really good song writer. I personally write music for a couple of friends and family and as I read your poem I just get this crazy beat in my head and start rocking, and everyone think I am listening to music when all I am doing is reading your work....Anywho I didn't see anything wrong with your work. Please, keep writing.




User avatar
175 Reviews


Points: 15167
Reviews: 175

Donate
Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:21 pm
View Likes
Harker wrote a review...



Introduction:

*bows* Hey there, Tsarina! Can't wait to review this one. A quick note: I just looked over my review and I realized that I don't always write a huge amount about each line... or, at least, not as much as I normally do. I love your writing and genuinely want to help improve it (in the few ways it can be improved... you're awesome ;)), but (because some of these lines are short) sometimes it's hard for me to do an in-depth analysis. So, let's get right to it!

Ready? Set? Go!

The floor is a mess.


I love this line: bold and clear, it sends a strong message: I won't be telling you anything but the brash, hard truth here. This really sets the tone for the rest of the poem: the narrator is somewhat removed but relatable, if you know what I mean. Impressive work.

Books, papers, and little things scattered around like little cities,


I love this line... really, I do! It's the perfect representation of your quiet but experienced hand--you clearly outline the picture but allow the reader's imagination to fill in the blank spaces. One small suggestion I'd have for you would be to challenge yourself with more evocative vocabulary. For instance, instead of "things, what about "trinkets"? Or, instead of "little", miniature"? I'm just giving you random words, but with your natural and eloquent vocabulary, I know that this shouldn't be a problem for you. ;)

each with a person or thing to live in,


I don't entirely understand this idea. You know, I was going to talk for a while about alternatives, but--you know what?--I'm not the writer here. You are. And you know what's best for the piece and for this line. So make whatever decision you want with this line... I support you any way you decide to go. ;)

clothes, shoes and, boxes


I love this transition from idea to idea and stanza to stanza. One quick note: the Oxford comma is placed before the "and". This poem has it after the "and". This was probably just a typo, though, so anyway... awesome job! :D

on the bins that lay with memories of my childhood,


I love this look back in time. This is our, as readers, first glimpse into the thoughts and events that these objects hold. I love it, I love it, I love it!

One thing--what about, instead of a phrase like "that lay" (which is slightly awkward), you use something like "lined"? So it'd be "the bins lined with the memories of my childhood. I might even go for something more detailed and evocative--for instance, "the bins brimming with memories of my childhood".

Also: I love the theme of "childhood" here. The way the narrator refers to these memories as if they were cast away and left to rot in this very room. Very "lost innocence". Beautiful!

drawers, paintings, and stories
overfilling the baskets that need to be sorted,


Hey, I'm a tiny bit confused here. "Drawers" doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense in this context. I'd just stick with "paintings and stories", if I were you... but keep in mind that I'm not, and if you want to elaborate on this/ignore my suggestion altogether, totally do so! You're the brilliant author here, not me.

coins, cords, and rocks
messed with markers neatly next to them.


Oh, I see! I think this may have been a small word-processor-to-YWS error. Were the lines originally switched, like this...?

coins, cords, and rocks
overfilling the baskets that need to be sorted,
drawers, paintings, and stories
messed with markers neatly next to them.


If not, remember for the billionth time that I'm no match for that brilliant, poetic brain of yours and the rhythm is probably different for you! Make whatever choice you need--I totally support you either way.

Memories have happened in this room,


I love this phrase. It's simple, but so powerful! In just--count them--six words, you bring us back to the metaphorical aspect of these objects. Now that we have this beautiful image of chaos, you bring us order. I love it, I love it, I love it!

One thing: "have happened" is slightly awkward. You can make a tiny change, like "were created", and the line would be more natural but retain your elegant idea. :D

crying on the bed with a monster stunk under to a sudden idea to write a novel.


I love this image: stark and concise and... beautiful. We can all, I'm sure, relate to this on some level. You include so many nuanced ideas in this one sentence... wow. Just WOW. :D

A collection of stones around the edge of a broken bookshelf.


Again, beautiful beautiful beautiful. A "broken bookshelf" is such a wonderfully vague concept... bravo.

One tiny suggestion: instead of just "around", can you try out a more expressive word? Maybe a verb, like "teetering" or "perched", etc., etc. I know that, as I said before, you have a natural and elegant vocabulary. This shouldn't be a problem for you, Tsarina Poet. ;)

Lined paper scattered around like ideas.


I love this comparison, I really do. A tiny observation: you seem to come up with the most spectacular of analogies... only, I wonder if you can take it even further and make this simile a metaphor? A lot of the time, as I'm sure you know, an entire piece can be changed with just the elimination of a single "like" or "as". ;) Try taking your language to its limits. The lined papers aren't just like ideas, they are ideas!

Overflowing dressers that seems to never to close.
A bin of old pictures, smiling at a faceless camera.


These lines speak to me both as a writer and as a person with messy dressers. :P One tiny, tiny copy-edit: "seems" should be singular because "dressers" is plural.

Books, headphones, and journals worn and broken like my pride.


The way with which you pull together the past (items in your room) and the present is overwhelming. Great job.

The bed is covered with snot, tears, and sweat.


Whoa, whoa, whoa! This line is intense and... I love it. The transition from the sad-but-mild tone to this small (but forceful) detail is sudden and breathtaking. Excellent, excellent work!

Pillows threw across the room, leaning against the mirror where I stand.


I'm running out of steam here. Every line is beautiful and relatable and it turns out that I only have one observation here. Was "threw" auto-corrected from "strewn"? Probably. ;)

TV set, the wires tangled like matted hair.


Again, I love your metaphors! One thing that I talked about before: you can cut out "like" and replace it with a comma/other piece of punctuation (to make a metaphor) like this: "TV set, the wires tangled--a head of matted hair". On second thought, either one would be fine! It's totally your choice. ;)

The floor is a mess.


Love the powerful repetition here. You really have a great ear for this... I'm unbelievably impressed.

Resources:

Below, I'm just going to put a couple of resources that I think you'll find interesting. I hope you enjoy them!

- Turntable Jack provides some awesome, quick advice in this short piece about punctuation and poetry! ABC's of Punctuation in Poetry

- Jon writes briefly about flow: Flow (Not really an issue for you, but still interesting and cool!)

- Something Euclidean would love you and your imagery! Imagery

Keep writing, and--as we say in my hometown--don't forget to be awesome.

IronSpark




Tuesday says...


THANK YOU! I shall take this suggestions into effect.



User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:33 am
View Likes
megsug wrote a review...



Hey Tuesday~
I thought I'd go ahead and give this poem a shot for The Big Review contest.

I think imagery is one of the most powerful devices that can be used in poetry, and you definitely use it well. I think a messy room is something most people can identify with, so you have a good tool to relay your message with.

I see a few grammatical errors that I just want to get out of the way real quick.

Books, papers, and little things scattered around like little cities,
each with a person or thing to live in,
clothes, shoes and, boxes
on the bins that lay with memories of my childhood,
drawers, paintings, and stories
overfilling the baskets that need to be sorted,
coins, cords, and rocks
messed with markers neatly next to them.

Here you have several comma splices joined together. Normally in poetry, I don't care about punctuation, but you set a standard that you were using traditional punctuation, and you're not following it. Now, I'm not sure what's the best way to fix the comma splice issue because some of these glimpses into this room are fragments.
I would either suggest putting a period instead of a comma where they occur at the end of a line or reword this part a bit so that it makes sense as one sentence. As it's formatted right now, the commas make the pauses awkward. I'm not really sure if you want all of this imagery to be grouped together or seen as individual parts of the room.
Another note about this chunk of your poem - you develop a pattern where the verb ends with -ed (scattered, messed). I believe that overfilling should be overfilled to match.

crying on the bed with a monster stunk under to a sudden idea to write a novel.

Not really sure what stunk is supposed to mean in this line.

Overflowing dressers that seems to never to close.

Since dressers is plural, seems should be seem.

Pillows threw across the room

Threw should be thrown.

Onto the general aspects of your poem:
I feel like you use too many small words. Words like and, on, that, like, is, a, to. Sometimes these words are necessary and you have to use them, but I'd suggest rewording your poem until you don't need as many.

One way you could do this is transition your similes into metaphors. While there's always a place for a good simile, I find metaphors to be more powerful usually. Take this line for example:
Books, papers, and little things scattered around like little cities,

make the simile into a metaphor like...
Books, papers, and little things scattered around, cluttered cities of chaos


In poetry, metaphors are nice because they force the poet to use precise language or the reader won't understand the meaning.

I have to disagree with Strange on the point that your theme and meaning are clear. I see that you're trying to say something with this poem, but it's a little lost in the haphazard chunks of imagery. What ties them all together? Why are you picking out the details you are? While some of this should be the reader's job to figure out, I don't think your intention is clear in this poem. My gut says that some reorganization could be key. Perhaps put your big point in the beginning or the ending of the poem, so we come in or leave with the idea you're trying to get across.

All in all, you have a relateable poem that I enjoyed. Your strength is your imagery and building a room that the reader can visualize which you did very well.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, lemme know,
Megs~




Tuesday says...


Thanks~ I shall fix those things asap!



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:13 pm
View Likes
Willard wrote a review...



Hey, yo, Tuesday! Strange here on this wonderful review day and I have a review for you!

This is like my first time ever reading any of your works, and I must say, I enjoyed this. There is a few glaring problems I did noticed but the theme and message was strongly portrayed in his. That was really nice. I am currently in my "punk rock" face, where I sleep with my window open, and I have a bunch of crap on my floor. Heck, my entertainment stand in my room has a bunch of blu-Rays and games stuffed in there. Let's get into it, shall we?

Books, papers, and little things scattered around like little cities

You used "little" twice. I would change one of those littles into maybe a "tiny" or some other synonym. I say this because word play in poetry needs to vary heavily. It gets redundant when you see the same word twice in the same line. Try to change it up.

The biggest problem I had with s is that the first part just seems like one train of thought, one run on sentence. It doesn't look fluent, to be completely honest. It seems like it's on a slippery slope just going down. There is no proper flow, as it just keeps going and going and going. Sure, that can be a good thing with other poems but not this one. It just doesn't fit.

A thing that I liked is how you described the room and everything in it. The words you used were subtly delivered, you didn't force it to be apparent. It just happened, and it feels great. It showed a lot of intimacy and realism while still fully delivering on your message. Believe it or not, that's not a common occurrence.

Lastly, this was relatable. This is such a wide topic that anyone can go "Hey, I do that!" but you didn't touch on the common "life pondering" details most would expect. Well, you did loosely, but you didn't make it glaringly obvious. That was a very good thing, so good job and I hope to read more.

Good job, keep writing, and stay groovy!




User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 1271
Reviews: 532

Donate
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:54 pm
GeeLyria says...



Hehe. This is different. Sounds like memories! Nice messy mental picture you shared. Haha! I enjoyed it~ *likes* ^^




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 124
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:34 am
View Likes
emilyhaller23 wrote a review...



I'd like to start by saying that I admire your use of similes. You've painted a beautiful picture of what this room would look like, should it ever be a physical place, rather than one coaxed into the mind through words.

Continuing, I'd like to suggest something. I think that if you changed your word choices a tad, you'd be capable of creating an even more vivid picture. I'm not going to be the one who suggests the new words, should you decide to change anything at all. I'll leave that up to you. Or you can leave the poem as is. Both are perfectly acceptable options.

Happy writing :)




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:57 pm
Virgil wrote a review...



First of all, I love the similes, they're easy to imagine like the rest of the story, you've set up a picture for me in my mind of how "The Floor is a mess." The room sounds like it could be a Writer's room, which I like that aspect, that it's not just a regular room, it sounds like you took this idea from your own life, the poem is relatable, and just written beautifully.





“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly