strong

by Tuesday

little leafs,

stand strong, 

against allies;
peaking proudly.

white willows,
breaking bark,
staying strong;
watching wishfully.

reckless robins,
chirp cheerfully,
fly to freedom;
wings for the win.

cheerful children,
dance dearly,
sun shining;
watching to wait.

ceaseless city,
stand strong,
against allies;
peaking proudly.  

Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:18 pm
Holiday30 wrote a review...

Well this is a little different from what I am use to reading from you.....I do not know what was the message you was trying to give but I can tell you what I think. I feel like you where linking human life with nature which is cool. I see how you have the city and the leaves and the flowers and bark all coincided in the same manner. They all stood strong on their own, then you hand the kids who are like the birds in the forest happy, cheerfully, in their element. If this is what you was trying to do then you are truly gifted at what you do Tues.

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:45 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hey Tuesday!

So this one really shows a problem with punctuation. I'm going to focus my review there. Mostly, you've got too much of it. If you keep all of this punctuation then every two words is going to have a dramatic pause. Try to speak like that, speak really really seriously and like, pause after, every couple, of words. That's really not conductive to a good message. So let's break down your punctuation.

I think the reason you ended up with so much punctuation is because you're not using poetry as a way to communicate in this poem, you're using it more as a way to say something that you want to make an impact, but it just sort of became a repetitive massaging motion of hammering, completely the opposite effect. Instead of giving us short sweet two word things that are all alliterated, give us alliteration dabbled in like sprinkles in a confetti cupcake. That's going to give us a much better flow, an actual message, and a good poem.

If we take this poem right now and fix the punctuation it ends up reading like this: "Little leafs, stand strong against allies, peaking proudly. White willows breaking bark staying strong watching wishfully. Reckless robins chirping cheerfully fly to freedom. Wings for the win! Cheerful children dancing dearly shun shining watching to wait. Ceaseless city standing strong against allies, peaking proudly."

That really doesn't say much. It doesn't really give us a clear idea of what's going on, it's too caught up in the alliteration to really get full sentences and because of that, we sort of have a list of words that start with the same sound and not an actual poem or description. If you take that away, you can see that peaking proudly really doesn't make any sense alone. How can someone peak proudly at anything? Why would a city have to defend itself against allies? What's with the breaking bark staying strong? How can something broken be strong?

A lot of these pairs really don't go together which makes it all the more confusing and because of that, the only thing you have left to do is put punctuation in to try to make it make sense, but in reality, you just need to re-capture the idea and rewrite it in a more communicative tone. All poetic devices should be used like sprinkles. Your batter is your words. We need sprinkles with our batter, not batter with our sprinkles.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:02 am
Merrysleuth wrote a review...

Hello Tuesday, merry Wednesday. Reading about nature always calms me and a smiling sun always brightens my day. Thank you for sharing this wonderful review with me. I'm not too big on reviewing poetry so I'll just leave you with this. Nature is the world's greatest scenery and I believe that this will help many people sleep in the near future. I have posted so many reviews because I was trying to get some points, but it wasn't long enough. I truly thank you for sharing it with the world.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:52 am
Merrysleuth says...

Hello Tuesday, merry Wednesday. Reading about nature always calms me and a smiling sun always brightens my day. Thank you for sharing this wonderful review with me. I'm not too big on reviewing poetry so I'll just leave you with this. Nature is the world's greatest scenery.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:52 am
Merrysleuth says...

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:51 am
Merrysleuth says...

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 pm
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there. I'm here for The Big Review.

This is an interesting poem. I like what you tried to do with the alliteration.

In this case, however, I think your adherence to the form of the poem is clouding your meaning. As a whole, I find it hard to understand the poem, and the punctuation is odd.

Your main problem is that you have too much punctuation. Punctuation exists to create natural breaks in the flow of the words. It groups a phrase or an idea together. Line breaks in poetry also do this, and stanza breaks even more. The way it breaks these ideas up is by slowing down the reader, so the reader can absorb the idea as a separate entity. Thus, when you have a comma, the reader pauses. A line break is also a pause. Stanzas and periods are generally closer to stops. Semicolons are worse than periods because readers are often unused to them, and so they take the reader out of the poem, especially when not used in a way that is technically grammatically correct.

Because of this, when you combine punctuation and line breaks every few words, the reader pauses so often that it becomes hard to string together the meaning of the poem, and the flow becomes very choppy and jarring.

In general, I'd recommend changing the punctuation so it follows the conventions of a sentence better. This will free up the reader to pay attention to the meaning of the poem.

little leafs,

stand strong,

against allies;
peaking proudly.

1. You have a spacing problem here - it probably happened when you copy/pasted the poem from Word or whatever it is you use. In order to not form a new stanza, use shift+enter when making new lines.

2. Grammatically, "leafs" should be "leaves."

3. If you wrote this stanza as a sentence, it would be punctuated like this: Little leaves stand strong against allies, peaking proudly. Or:

little leaves
stand strong
against allies,
peaking proudly.

This reads a lot more naturally, and doesn't slow down the reader too much.

white willows,
breaking bark,
staying strong;
watching wishfully.

Here is where it starts to get confusing because of the format. Are the white willows breaking the bark, or is their bark breaking? I'm going to assume the latter.

The format of using -ing for each line also leads to it sounding like they are breaking the bark.

To clarify, you could say:

white willows with
broken bark
stay strong,
watching wishfully.

Still alliterative and more clear. :D

reckless robins,
chirp cheerfully,
fly to freedom;
wings for the win.

This is my favorite stanza. It's easy to understand, and I love the line "wings for the win." :D Plus, the semicolon actually works, since "wings for the win" is a sentiment of its own.

The only thing I'd recommend is to change either "chirp" or "fly" to "flying" or "chirping." It just depends on which one you want to highlight. If you change "chirp," then it would direct attention to "fly," as "fly" would be the main verb of the sentence, and vice versa if you change "fly." (Sorry if that explanation is super-confusing.)

However, if you change "fly," I'd also recommend removing the comma from the first line, for better flow.

cheerful children,
dance dearly,
sun shining;
watching to wait.

This stanza doesn't make much sense to me. I don't understand how it fits into the rest of the poem's theme of the city that stands strong and is proud and free. Also, "dearly" doesn't make sense in the context used. Who are they "dear" too? I also don't understand "watching to wait."

I don't have many suggestions for this stanza, because I don't understand it. As far as punctuation goes, I'd punctuate like this:

cheerful children
dance dearly;
sun shining,
watching to wait.

I moved the semicolon up a line because that's where the change in ideas takes place.

ceaseless city,
stand strong,
against allies;
peaking proudly.

Unless someone is ordering the city to "stand strong," it should be "stands."

It took me a couple of read-throughs to get the message of this piece, but finally I realized how you were describing a proud, free city, and in light of that I really like how you started with the smallest things, leaves, and expanded it to include the entire city. Very clever!

As far as punctuation goes, I'd punctuate it the same way I recommended the first stanza be punctuated.

Overall, this was a pretty cool poem with a nicely subtle message. Really, the only problem is just some adherence to format that results in confusion and a bit of odd punctuation.

Also, feel free to completely disregard or cherrypick my line-by-line suggestions. I'm just throwing them out there in case you want them. :)

I hope this review helped a bit. Good luck with all your writing efforts!

Annaclare wrote a review...

Hey hey!

Okay, so from the description you said that you almost fell asleep writing this... If that is true it sure doesn't seem like that. This poem has very nice structure and also a really cool rhythm type feeling to it (if that makes any sense at all)

I loved the progression of this story mad I like the two word pattern going on through out the story. I think that not only has your creativity been seen through this poem but also your organization.

Personally, I feel like a good looking poem is just as important as the poem itself. I think that poetry is more than an art form of writing but of visual art as well... If that makes sense. I think that you have made your poem very organized which makes it visually beautiful as well.

I have to begone at when I say I have never really read a poem like this before, and I kinda dug it. It really was a journey of progression. It started with 'little leaves' and ended with 'ceaseless cities'. I loved the journey you took me on, and I think thy that is a talent that not everyone has. So great job!

Overall, fantastic poem! Keep on writing because you have an insane talent that people need to see :). I hope you get some sleep so I can see what amazing writing you write when you are actually awake ;)

Stay classy and write on.

-Annaclare

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:01 am
elcuidador wrote a review...

Hello there.

First four lines are supposed to be a stanza? If so, then why the awkward spacing? Just an opinion but it made my reading a bit chopper than you must have intended.

stand strong, against allies
These two verses conveys the feeling of rebellion and having a title as 'strong' just does not fit for me. If I think hard about it though, I can see where you're going with this.

I can see your alliterated poetic style constantly throughout your piece, but I do not think you should sacrifice flow and meaning for the sake of it. Here are some examples of where I felt like it was somewhat forced:
peaking proudly

watching to wait

Wings for the win
This verse should be completely changed, it not only makes very little sense to me but breaks your two-worded rhythm and sounds very informal when compared to the previous verses.

I enjoy repetition when it is necessary to convey specific feelings and emotions towards the reader but in this case it bores me. I think that your alliteration scheme limited what you had to offer. I started to wonder after a couple of reads if I was missing something or if there is anything more linking the stanza's other than the word 'strong'. It almost seems like the poem is just explaining the title in different yet very similar four-lined stanzas. I hope others find a deeper meaning than me.

All in all, the alliteration style is only nice when you can actually pull it off without that 'forced' feeling, some verses must be rewritten to clarify, and more time should be taken on this piece because I found it somewhat rushed. If these areas can be improved I believe that this would be a very nice piece of work.

Good luck and thanks for my second star,
*ATA

attempting foot extraction
— Mea